Newcastle United 1 - 1 QPR - 30/09/09 - post match reaction from page 19

Dave

The long ball tactics are cringworthy, when we started getting the ball down on the left hand side we were raping them

Did Jonas play down the lad when he came on? He normally does well with Enrique.

Him and Enrique looked really good together, they got in behind time after time but typically the end product wasn't good enough

Is Guthrie really our best penalty taker?

I hope questions are asked as to why he was allowed to take it ahead of a player in goalscoring form (ie Nolan) and the two strikers. Maybe none of the others had the bottle.

Of course had he scored we wouldn't be discussing this.

They wouldn't have let him take it if he wasn't the best penaly taker in training or whatever. Plus he's one of the best strikers of a ball on our team and has never missed a penalty before AFAIK, so it's hardly a great shock in that regard that he was the taker either.

The long ball tactics are cringworthy, when we started getting the ball down on the left hand side we were raping them

Did Jonas play down the lad when he came on? He normally does well with Enrique.

Him and Enrique looked really good together, they got in behind time after time but typically the end product wasn't good enough

Give Jonas a chance to get back it's his first game tbf. I can see them being important against Bristol, just none of this 'easing jonas in' crap, start him and get the job done.

Jonas and Enrique played great in the second half but it is frustrating that the chances they create don't become goals very often. Harewood was much better than Ranger. Butt and Smith can't play in the same team; at least Butt was subbed early. Guthrie let his penalty miss get to his head and play awfully. Defence was solid. Midfield was slow, especially in the first half.

Guest icemanblue

They were the best footballing side we've come up against so far this season. We couldn't get near them for the first half an hour, and we didn't look like creating anything until Jonas came on. Hopefully, with him back in the side, we'll actually try to play some football from now on.

A point was all we deserved, really.

Is Guthrie really our best penalty taker?

I hope questions are asked as to why he was allowed to take it ahead of a player in goalscoring form (ie Nolan) and the two strikers. Maybe none of the others had the bottle.

Of course had he scored we wouldn't be discussing this.

He's got good feet and can finish but I doubt his composure compared to the likes of Nolan or Smith.

Guest WashyGeordie

If we get promoted a top CM should be our priority, when was the last time we had a bloody playmaker in the middle.  :facepalm:

Emre  :thup: -ish.

Hold the fuck on a minute...

Dunno why, not confident at all again. 1-1 us to f*** up for their goal.

Wish I'd put a fucking bet on now.

:angry:

Anyhow, just got back, we were shit...beyond shit.  It baffles me as to how crap we were, and yet still came away with a point.

This league is shit.

If we get promoted a top CM should be our priority, when was the last time we had a bloody playmaker in the middle.  :facepalm:

If we get promoted a new Team will be our priority.

Really? I'd give Smith and Nolan five-year contracts myself.

Harper  6

Simpson  7

Taylor  6

Khiz  7

Enrique  6

Guthrie  6

Smith  7

Nolan  6.5

Butt  3

Carroll  5

Ranger  5

Jonas  7

Harewood  7

Lovenkrands  5

Enrique has one of those game where he defends brilliantly but looks toothless in attack, made excellent runs but never put the ball where he wanted it to go, very frustrating. Guthrie could easily do well in RM but his head dropped after the penalty miss tonight.

Guest WashyGeordie

Emre  :thup: -ish.

-ish being the key word, he never really did the business.

It answered the question though.

Only if we count Barton/Nolan... :iamatwat:

i think wed need getting on for 11 new faces in, but, yeah some of the present team could stick around.

We don't look very fit, they really ran straight through through the middle of us quite a few times today and it's a bit worrying to see us looking so leggy early on in the season. I know Nolan is a big lad and not famed for his fitness but he really is ridiculously out of shape, he should never play CM for us because after 60 minutes he's huffing and puffing and leaving huge gaps for Smith to try and cover by himself and this was massively evident tonight.

Well done to Hughton for making some good subs (esp. getting Nicky Butt off) but our tactics really need sorting, just play it on the deck please Chris, we have players who can pass a ball adn we look so much more dangerous. Also, Carroll and Ranger is never going to work against the better sides because they are so static and they stand 30 yards apart, so if one does win a flick-on the other is nowhere near. I like Carroll, he tries hard and gets himself about a fair bit but when the ball is at his feet he's pretty useless and it was annoying to see Ranger subbed over him when he has the ability to create so much more. Next game i'd like to see Ranger and Harewood upfront but unortunately it won't happen.

Harper  6

Simpson  7

Taylor  6

Khiz  7

Enrique  6

Guthrie  6

Smith  7

Nolan  6.5

Butt  3

Carroll  5

Ranger  5

Jonas  7

Harewood  7

Lovenkrands  5

Enrique has one of those game where he defends brilliantly but looks toothless in attack, made excellent runs but never put the ball where he wanted it to go, very frustrating. Guthrie could easily do well in RM but his dropped after the penalty miss tonight.

Where you at the game?

We don't look very fit, they really ran straight through through the middle of us quite a few times today and it's a bit worrying to see us looking so leggy early on in the season. I know Nolan is a big lad and not famed for his fitness but he really is ridiculously out of shape, he should never play CM for us because after 60 minutes he's huffing and puffing and leaving huge gaps for Smith to try and cover by himself and this was massively evident tonight.

bang on with that

Guthrie get's at most a 5 for me - He was absolute dog turd. A crap penalty and then tried to make up for it by shooting needlessly at every opportunity, just made it worse. If he'd squared instead of shooting, tried to deliver a freekick instead of shooting at a tight angle or finished the penalty, we'd have two more points. End of really.

i think wed need getting on for 11 new faces in, but, yeah some of the present team could stick around.

Wow, do people really keep taking me seriously? :lol:

yeah, 5.5 having reconsidered that one. I like his enthusiasm and positivity going forward, but very little came off for him

He is probably what I would consider our most creative CM at present, I like him. He's very tidy, quite quick and usually very positive. But he just tried too hard to make up for the penalty today. I'd be more patient with him had he not fucked up a load of chances by trying to score from stupid positions.