Newcastle v Bristol City- Pre-match thread

Dinho lad

Can't see this being any different to nearly all our games so far.  Bad performance and probably scrape a win.

Depends on how we line up for me. There's a certain combo of midfielders who just don't have the attributes to produce good football and we had that tonight. It might be different on Saturday with Jonas back.

Give Nolan a rest. He's wasted in a 4-4-2 anyway.

If Taylor is fit, then yes. I'm not really a fan of playing Geremi wide right tbh. He can do a job coming on from the bench as he's still got a half decent delivery and he won't suffer as much for his lack of legs when the players around him are getting tired, but I don't want to start him.

Nolan would play in the hole anyway, in the 4-1-2-1-2 or whatever we played against Ipswich, I just couldn't be bothered typing it up like that.

Bristol City finished in the play offs in 07/08 and then 10th last season (one spot above QPR).  Need to play better than we did against QPR else it could be two draws in a row.  Think we will win this one though, hopefully last nights draw gives them a kick up the ass.

The irony about last nights result was it was only days after Smith started blabbing his mouth about his "warning" to other clubs that we are going to get better and better as we win.  Typical for us not to win as soon as he said that.

Guest Haris Vuckic

We need to keep bouncing back from bad results and get a result on saturday.

Not saying QPR was an overly bad result but we cant afford to go into a rut.

Harper

Simpson Saylor Zurab Enrique

Raylor Guthrie Smith Jonas

Hare Love

3-1

With the players we have available this is almost the best XI we can put out.

Not only that but I like it because it has width and balance. Two wide players out wide, both with different qualities, and balance in the middle with Smith holding and Guthrie pushing on.

I'd replace Lovenkrands with Nolan though. You have to play your form players and Nolan has shown an eye for goal and getting into scoring positions which none of our other players have done. People talk about resting players but you don't see the top Premier League teams doing it very often. You don't see Man Utd resting Rooney or Liverpool resting Torres for a routine game against Fulham. You play your in-form goalscorers, always. We have an international break coming up, it would be madness to rest Nolan now when he's about to get a two-week rest.

Living in Bristol know a fair bit about them, if they are on a good day they like to get the ball on the deck and play. Have a fair amount on pace with Maynard and Haynes but have been know to lump long ball like the cardiff match on sky earlier in season which wont help them as both small strickers.. Have experience with Hartley in midfield (ex celtic) they have got Sno on loan from Ajax always thought he was a good player. But same can be said for every game we play this season if we play to our potential we will win.

Harper

Hare Love

3-1

Not only that but I like it because it has width and balance. Two wide players out wide, both with different qualities, and balance in the middle with Smith holding and Guthrie pushing on.

I'd replace Lovenkrands with Nolan though. You have to play your form players and Nolan has shown an eye for goal and getting into scoring positions which none of our other players have done. People talk about resting players but you don't see the top Premier League teams doing it very often. You don't see Man Utd resting Rooney or Liverpool resting Torres for a routine game against Fulham. You play your in-form goalscorers, always. We have an international break coming up, it would be madness to rest Nolan now when he's about to get a two-week rest.

If Nolan plays it should be in midfield only. We don't want to go with only one striker at home imo.

Harper

Hare Love

3-1

If Nolan plays it should be in midfield only. We don't want to go with only one striker at home imo.

I'd have him up top alongside Harewood. He's shown an eye for goal this season and is getting into good positions. We need goals and barring Ameobi our other strikers do not look very dangerous. Carroll and Ranger have done alright but they've been a bit one-dimensional.

I also believe Smith and Guthrie will be our best centre-mid partnership as it provides a good balance and I'd like to see them given a run together. Seeing as Nolan can't play out wide and shouldn't be dropped, that just leaves up front, where we happen to be lacking goals from the strikers. Put him up there I say, and we should have a more balanced midfield. Now we have the pace, power and directness of Harewood, Nolan lack of gas will be less of an issue.

Harper

Hare Love

3-1

I'd have him up top alongside Harewood. He's shown an eye for goal this season and is getting into good positions. We need goals and barring Ameobi our other strikers do not look very dangerous. Carroll and Ranger have done alright but they've been a bit one-dimensional.

I also believe Smith and Guthrie will be our best centre-mid partnership as it provides a good balance and I'd like to see them given a run together. Seeing as Nolan can't play out wide and shouldn't be dropped, that just leaves up front, where we happen to be lacking goals from the strikers. Put him up there I say, and we should have a more balanced midfield. Now we have the pace, power and directness of Harewood, Nolan lack of gas will be less of an issue.

It's a tricky one. Nolan has been one of our most effective and least effective players this season. While his goals are winning points, his overall lack of movement is one of the reasons why we are often out-played by teams even in this division. We have a bit of a dilemma going forward as to which direction we take from here. The likes of Nolan and Ryan Taylor have been the most productive players for us this season, but they are also part of the reason we look so shit at times. Maybe we just need to suck it up and accept we are this division's most effective cloggers and leave it at that.

Harper

Hare Love

3-1

We were shite against Plymouth with only Nolan up there, and battered them once we went to two up top. He also didn't do too badly playing behind two strikers at Ipswich. Not a chance would he be one of the two strikers in my lineup.

Guest Phil K

Homework needs to be done this time, like it WASN'T against QPR

Believe this time we'll get it right. Just by the odd goal.

What happened in the QPR game that indicated we hadn't done our homework? Genuine question btw, I could only listen and only caught the second half. I just assumed we hadn't played particularly well, was there some specific tactic of theirs we couldn't keep up with?

Guest Roger Kint

What happened in the QPR game that indicated we hadn't done our homework? Genuine question btw, I could only listen and only caught the second half. I just assumed we hadn't played particularly well, was there some specific tactic of theirs we couldn't keep up with?

No it was our very specific tactic of playing a totally useless Nicky Butt alongside Alan Smith at home. Until Hughton learns to select the best team for a game instead of the best formation he can shoehorn certain people into we will have a few more frustrating games at home.

It was nowt to do with homework imo

We gave the ball away far too often and just seemed to lack shape, structure and any sort of a plan other than to whack it to Carroll. And don't even get me started on the first half, the midfield were pretty much bossed from start to finish due to the ridiculous diamond formation in which we ended up with 4 cloggers scrapping for the same ball in the middle of the park. Absolutely embarrassing.

Guest Roger Kint

It was nowt to do with homework imo

We gave the ball away far too often and just seemed to lack shape, structure and any sort of a plan other than to whack it to Carroll. And don't even get me started on the first half, the midfield were pretty much bossed from start to finish due to the ridiculous diamond formation in which we ended up with 4 cloggers scrapping for the same ball in the middle of the park. Absolutely embarrassing.

Yeah pretty much spot on.