Not Worthy Of A Thread

Thespence

Guest Heneage

Infact, isn't Odemwingie born and raised in Russia? Makes it even worse considering he's one of their own.

Yet he chose Nigeria, so that behaviour from those idiots doesn't surprise me.

From Football365:

Dear The Sun,

This is just getting silly. Nay, it has gone beyond silliness. It's now offensive, objectionable and toxic.

Today, a story appears as the back page lead of your newspaper criticising Fabio Capello's England team selection for the upcoming Euro 2012 qualifiers, before Capello has even made this selection.

Shaun Custis writes: 'Donkey Fabio Capello has stuck a hoof into England's brave new world - after just one game.

'The gormless Italian vowed to rebuild after our World Cup debacle by bringing in young players.

'But the silly ass has ruled Arsenal whizkid Jack Wilshere, 18, out of next month's vital Euro qualifiers.'

This is written under the headline 'Jackass picks just Cap it all', with a pair of donkey ears super-imposed on Capello's head in the accompanying picture.

'Jackass'. 'Silly ass'. 'Gormless'. Is this really what journalism has come to? Is this really what you want to be doing?

And what is the basis of The Sun's latest attack? The omission of 'whizkid' Wilshere, who apparently earned 'rave reviews' for his two - two - starts for Arsenal so far.

Whoever was doing this 'raving', it wasn't The Sun. Wilshere didn't warrant a mention in the paper's report of Arsenal's 6-0 win over Blackpool, while the best thing the paper could say about his performance against Liverpool (in a report written by Custis) was that he will 'grow in confidence the more games he plays', before awarding him five out of ten for his showing.

The other justification for insulting one of the most successful managers in the game is the omission of Andy Carroll, a player with eight Premier League starts to his name.

Truly, do you believe this to be justification for such descriptions as 'jackass', 'silly ass' and 'gormless', or whatever else you will be calling Capello next time?

We appreciate the consistency of The Sun's view. The Custis article is the latest in a relentless campaign waged by The Sun to remove Capello from the England job.

But is this really helping? Is this type of name-calling based on such flimsy matters, appropriate? Criticism is fine, but the Custis diatribe could never be described as 'constructive'. It is, in our humble opinion, a new low. Perhaps for backpage tabloid journalism, perhaps for The Sun, perhaps even for old-fashioned debate and discussion. Either way, it's as low as we can remember.

Football365 has largely backed Capello, but even we agree that he has made mistakes, particularly in South Africa. However, we have not forgotten his success at club level, and that he guided England through a near-flawless qualification campaign for the World Cup.

Nor do we know of an English manager who we believe will be a better man for the job. As for the 'rip it up and start again' approach, it is far too simplistic. The assumption that because the current crop of players failed, the next generation will automatically be better, is horribly - and probably fatally - flawed.

Our fear is that this campaign is being waged not because the tabloid press truly believe that Capello is in the wrong, or that ignoring Wilshere and Carroll makes him a donkey, but largely out of spite because they didn't get their way after the summer and he stayed on.

We invite Custis, or indeed anyone from The Sun, to write to Football365 to justify this latest article, and indeed their continuing stance. And we promise to publish their right of reply.

Regards,

Football365

North Koreans not down the acid mines after all - http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/aug/25/north-korea-fifa-world-cup

Turns out Bebe is shite - http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/aug/25/bebe-manchester-united-alex-ferguson Reckon there is something fishy about that deal anyway tbh. Ferguson has previous (allegedly)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/danwalker/2010/08/perfecting_the_flick_and_whack.html

Dan Walker from the BBC trying to emulate Dave Jones's free kick against Stoke.

2mins in :D

Shit like this makes me loath the BBC. He is getting paid to produce shite like this.

"According to PZPN vice-president Adam Olkowicz, Poland will play Spain in a home friendly next year."

NOOOOoooo...like losing to them 6-0 once a year isn´t enough. We should be inviting nations like Nepal and Haiti to play against us, just about the only teams I can see us win.

I like their thinking though. On a 4 game winnless streak under a new coach with the goal difference 0:9, how about arranging some friendlies with Spain and Germany to further boost our confidence  :thup:

Review of Tim Lovejoy's book - http://www.wsc.co.uk/content/view/145/29/

Helen Chamberlain’s former sidekick has celebrated leaving Soccer AM for 6.06 with a book. Taylor Parkes wants to know why anyone – anyone – thought it was a good idea to expose the presenter’s ego and prejudices across 288 smugly written pages

Soccer AM is a bad memory: hungover mornings in other people’s flats, disturbed by a crew of whooping simpletons, the slurping of pro and ex-pro rectums, cobbled-together comedy that made me long for the glory days of Skinner and Baddiel’s old shit. Yet Tim Lovejoy himself, with his fashionably receding hair and voice oddly reminiscent of Rod Hull’s, I remember only as an averagely blokey TV presenter – in fact, one of the few averagely blokey TV presenters to make me clack my tongue in irritation, rather than buff my Gurkha knife. Other than as a namesake of The Simpsons’ self-serving man of the cloth, he barely registered; just a bland, blond ringmaster in a cocky circus of crap. Almost a surprise, then, to find that his new book is not just ­tedious in the extreme, it is utterly vile.

Chopped into “chapters” that barely fill a page, in a font size usually associated with books for the partially sighted, Lovejoy on Football is part autobiography, part witless musing, and one more triumph for the crass stupidity rapidly replacing culture in this country. Hopelessly banal and nauseatingly self-assured, smirkingly unfunny, it’s a £300 T-shirt, a piss-you-off ringtone, a YouTube clip of someone drinking their mate’s vomit. Its smugness is a corollary of its vacuity. I hope it makes you sick.

First, it’s clear that being Tim Lovejoy requires a very special blend of arrogance and ignorance. When he’s not listing his media achievements with a breathtaking lack of guile, he’s sneering at those “sad” enough to take an interest in football history, revealing his utter cluelessness about life outside the Premier League (in a section called “Know Your Silverware”, he refers to “League Three”) and making sundry gaffes, major and minor. He names Johan Cruyff as his all-time favourite player, then admits he’s only seen that five-second World Cup clip of the Cruyff turn. Grumbling about footballers’ musical tastes, he complains that “all you’ll hear blasting out of the team dressing room is R&B, rather than what the rest of the country is listening to” – by which he means indie bands. Everywhere there are jaw-dropping illustrations of insularity, self-­satisfaction and a startlingly small mind.

There’s something sinister here, too: beamingly positive, thrilled by wealth, too pleased with himself to ask awkward questions, Tim Lovejoy is the football fan Sepp Blatter has been waiting for. Roman ­Abramovich’s darling young one. Not least for his complacency: his lack of understanding of how football works (and doesn’t work) is best illustrated in a section called “Give Your Chairman A Break”, in which he defends “that Thai bloke at Man City”, and implores us to “look at the Glazers... you would have thought they were nothing but a bunch of Americans intent on buying the club and selling off Old Trafford to Tesco judging by the howl of protests from the fans. Within two seasons though, they had won the title and built a squad the envy of Europe.” Bang your head off the wall at such unreviewable stupidity – Tim’s infantile ideas of shunning “negativity” prod him into precisely the kind of thinking that has had such hugely negative influence on the game. “Look across our national team” – he means England, by the way – “and there isn’t one player who wouldn’t walk into any side in Europe... why is it, before every tournament, we start believing we’re overrated?”

And, surprise: Lovejoy is as wretched a starfucker as could be inferred from his television shows. Everyone in football is Tim’s mate (and here we have pictures to prove it, stars looking confused in his grinning, over-familiar presence, frozen by an arm around the shoulders). He’ll “even watch the occasional game of rugby now, because I’m friends with a lot of the players like Will Greenwood, Matt Dawson, Lawrence ­Dallaglio and Austin Healy”.

It’s perhaps telling that among the many anecdotes offered here, the most heartwarming (and least surprising) involves Tim getting clattered hard by Neil Ruddock in a charity game; even in this version of the story, there’s nothing to suggest Razor meant it affectionately. Still, our man is blinded by quite astonishing hubris, reprinting a photo of a banner at Anfield reading “LOVEJOY SUCKS BIG FAT COCKS” with a glee that is nothing like self-deprecation. “The hardest thing about leaving ­Soccer AM,” he says regretfully, “is the thought that I might no longer be influencing the game.” True, it’ll be tough. But who knows? Perhaps the game will struggle on.

It’s not that there was ever a time when football on telly wasn’t in the hands of dimwits, poseurs and blowhards. It’s not that Lovejoy is significantly more objectionable than TV shits of ages past. The point is, in his own mind and that of the powers that be, he’s one of us. He is us. Savour that. God help us.

:clap:

Did i hear Mike Bushell correctly on BBC news there? Harry Redknapp is the first English manager to lead his team into the Champions League draw since Bobby Robson with PSV in 1998??? What about us? I may have misheard mind.

Did i hear Mike Bushell correctly on BBC news there? Harry Redknapp is the first English manager to lead his team into the Champions League draw since Bobby Robson with PSV in 1998??? What about us? I may have misheard mind.

Am sure I read that on the bbc live text during the first leg of their Young Boys game as well. Don't think it's right either.

Am sure I read that on the bbc live text during the first leg of their Young Boys game as well. Don't think it's right either.

Were twente not in the CL last season with Mclaren as welll.

They were in the play-offs against Arsenal. So i don't think that counts.

Guest michaelfoster

Just saw this on .com about tickets for away games

Much has been written about the reduced away ticket allocations that Newcastle fans have been landed with this season, but at least some of that seems to us to have been misguided - although written in good faith.

Here's what we've managed to glean so far from the opening four away games:

Manchester United: 1,800 seats @ £42. All sold from season ticket sale (0 points) and member sale. Second allocation of 720 seats made available to NUFC but not taken as needed to be paid for in advance by club. No smaller additional allocation made available by MUFC.

Accrington Stanley: 1,400 standing places @ £20. Around 50 tickets returned after season ticket sale (0 points), members sale and public sale.

Wolves: 1,500 seats @ £34. All sold from season ticket sale (0 points) and member sale. Second allocation of 1,250 seats made available to NUFC but not taken as needed to be paid for in advance by club. No smaller additional allocation made available by WWFC.

Everton: 2,500 seats @ £30/£33. 1,650 sold from season ticket sales (0 points) and member sale. 850 due to go on public sale from Thursday 26th August.

Estimating that we have 30K NUFC season ticket holders for 2010/11, every one of those who applied for any of our opening four away games got a ticket, with no loyalty points required. That means you could have bought a season ticket for the first time a month ago and got to see all of those four away games.

Similarly if you're not a season ticket holder but wanted to go to the games, getting your uncle Billy or next door neighbour's best friend to apply would have seen them also being successful, even though tickets are officially "non transferable"....

On that basis (with over 28,000 season ticket holders uninterested in trips to Old Trafford or Molineux), for the club to then take on the financial burden of additional tickets that they can't give back is unrealistic.

For anyone without a season ticket or the means to use one to get away tickets, Everton tickets will go on public sale from Thursday - and there's plenty of them.

If they don't all get sold, then it effectively torpedoes all those moans about not taking the maximum allocation - this being the first time we've done so in our opening three Premier League away games.

Put simply, if more folks applied then the pressure on taking more tickets would increase and reduce the risk in the club's eyes. Had 2,500 season ticket holders wanted to go to Wolves instead of half that number, then we'd have had the full allocation.     

PS: We have previously sniped at the club for not taking the maximum allocations (infamously at Leeds a few seasons back) but those gripes were based on the fact that the additional places were on sale or return and the club were anxious to ration tickets in order to sell places for beambacks. That's no longer the case.

They were in the play-offs against Arsenal. So i don't think that counts.

That was season before, last season he took them in as League Winners so dunno if that counts... if they mean through the preliminaries.

Just saw this on .com about tickets for away games

Much has been written about the reduced away ticket allocations that Newcastle fans have been landed with this season, but at least some of that seems to us to have been misguided - although written in good faith.

Here's what we've managed to glean so far from the opening four away games:

Manchester United: 1,800 seats @ £42. All sold from season ticket sale (0 points) and member sale. Second allocation of 720 seats made available to NUFC but not taken as needed to be paid for in advance by club. No smaller additional allocation made available by MUFC.

Accrington Stanley: 1,400 standing places @ £20. Around 50 tickets returned after season ticket sale (0 points), members sale and public sale.

Wolves: 1,500 seats @ £34. All sold from season ticket sale (0 points) and member sale. Second allocation of 1,250 seats made available to NUFC but not taken as needed to be paid for in advance by club. No smaller additional allocation made available by WWFC.

Everton: 2,500 seats @ £30/£33. 1,650 sold from season ticket sales (0 points) and member sale. 850 due to go on public sale from Thursday 26th August.

Estimating that we have 30K NUFC season ticket holders for 2010/11, every one of those who applied for any of our opening four away games got a ticket, with no loyalty points required. That means you could have bought a season ticket for the first time a month ago and got to see all of those four away games.

Similarly if you're not a season ticket holder but wanted to go to the games, getting your uncle Billy or next door neighbour's best friend to apply would have seen them also being successful, even though tickets are officially "non transferable"....

On that basis (with over 28,000 season ticket holders uninterested in trips to Old Trafford or Molineux), for the club to then take on the financial burden of additional tickets that they can't give back is unrealistic.

For anyone without a season ticket or the means to use one to get away tickets, Everton tickets will go on public sale from Thursday - and there's plenty of them.

If they don't all get sold, then it effectively torpedoes all those moans about not taking the maximum allocation - this being the first time we've done so in our opening three Premier League away games.

Put simply, if more folks applied then the pressure on taking more tickets would increase and reduce the risk in the club's eyes. Had 2,500 season ticket holders wanted to go to Wolves instead of half that number, then we'd have had the full allocation.     

PS: We have previously sniped at the club for not taking the maximum allocations (infamously at Leeds a few seasons back) but those gripes were based on the fact that the additional places were on sale or return and the club were anxious to ration tickets in order to sell places for beambacks. That's no longer the case.

Aye, good stuff from them.

It's already being discussed in the Ticket News and Travel board.

Guest neesy111

The Liverpool Firesale continues, Mascherano sold for around £18M.

I'm sure the bin dippers will not be happy at the moment....