Fowler 163

Ferdinand 149

Owen 149

Lampard 149

Sheringham 147

Rooney 134

Hasselbaink 127

Reckon Rooney will catch Shearer?

He's only just over halfway now so I say not.

I thought for a while he would break his record, but since Rooney is dropping deeper and deeper I starting to think he won't.

To think Shearer had two bad injuries as well and still hit 260 league goals. Incredible.

I owe Decky 100 quid if Rooney doesn't break it. Remember arguing over shots one night of who was the better player. :lol:

Aa centre forwards Shearer was certainly better pre-Goodison park. The thing that sets them both apart was how much tougher Shearer was mentally compared to Rooney.

Rooney is a lot better in that department now than he was. His temperament was shocking a few years ago.

He was still dropping pretty deep last year and scored 34 goals. I reckon he'll run Shearers record pretty close. I think he has 90 goals in his last 145 or something. That's pretty impressive, especially with everything else he does for the team.

Both joys to watch IMO. We don't get centre-forwards like Shearer anymore.

I'm not just talking about his temperament and when he would often lose his rag. How many times has Rooney's form suffered as a result of him not being able to handle pressure due to off the field issues etc? Plus he often goes on barren runs quite a bit as well.

I much preferred the 18 year old Rooney who was an exciting playmaker.

Shearer 260

cole 187

Ameobi 183*

Henry 176

Fowler 163

Ferdinand 149

Owen 149

Lampard 149

Sheringham 147

Rooney 134

Hasselbaink 127

R keane 126

Yorke  123

Anelka 123

Wright 113

heskey 111

Dublin 111

Defoe 109

Giggs 106

le tissier  102

Bent 100

*goals against the mackems count for 20

I can't believe Keane is so high on that list. He might have been higher too if he didn't change clubs every 5 minutes. Shearer's record is phenomenal though, I'll be gutted the day it's broken. I actually thought Henry would do it, the relief was the first thing I thought of when he left Arsenal. :lol:

I'm not just talking about his temperament and when he would often lose his rag. How many times has Rooney's form suffered as a result of him not being able to handle pressure due to off the field issues etc? Plus he often goes on barren runs quite a bit as well.

I much preferred the 18 year old Rooney who was an exciting playmaker.

:thup: Think this discussion seems to come round every few months but I entirely agree. I don't doubt Ferguson's ability to develop Rooney's all-round game and of course he's a far more refined player than he was at Everton. But there's just not the same excitement when he's on the ball anymore and I think that's a great shame for someone with such natural talent as him.