Not Worthy Of A Thread

Thespence

Anyone seen the new Sky Sports advert with the 'jumpers for goalposts' game? Its pretty good  ;D

Does it have the sports guy from The Fast Show on it?

Small boys in the park?

Yep that one. Andy Gray is analysing formations etc.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/article/18780/

Footballer throttles referee after sending off

http://l.yimg.com/i/util/anysize/376,http%3A%2F%2Fa323.yahoofs.com%2Fymg%2Fworld_of_sport__4%2Fworld_of_sport-902510989-1279625339.jpg%3Fym7xxeDDS9A3S2BQ?v=2

A Paraguayan football star resorted to the ultimate in dissent after being dismissed during a match: he tried to throttle the referee.

Jose Pedroso of Chilean second-tier side Rangers had been sent off for a wild tackle during his side's 3-0 loss to Deportes Concepcion, and in his fury grabbed referee Marcelo Miranda from behind and throttled him with his arm.

Pedroso's stunned team-mates stepped in to wrestle him away from the match official as an already chaotic match descended into bedlam: the incident occurred shortly after the referee had ordered a penalty to be re-taken three times.

The player has now left the club after discussions with Rangers' chairman Elias Vistoso.

"We spoke to him and he has resigned," Vistoso told El Mercurio. "We know the punishment awaiting him will not be small."

But amazingly, Pedroso has still refused to apologise for his actions and claims he will head back to his home nation with his head held high.

"I'm not sorry," he said. "I was being persecuted by the referee, because it's the third time he has sent me off, and I think I made a grave error but what's done is done."

Rumor that we are closing on a shirt-sponsorship-but-not-really-a-shirt-sponsorship deal with Pepsi for €22m a season. Sucks, but guess we'll have to go down that way...

Which means?

Rumor that we are closing on a shirt-sponsorship-but-not-really-a-shirt-sponsorship deal with Pepsi for €22m a season. Sucks, but guess we'll have to go down that way...

Which means?

I wish I knew :lol:

They just say it won't impact the UNICEF sponsorship, and bar turning our shirt into a Formula One kit, I don't know what they will do.

It's just a rumor, mind, but taking into account our need for cash it makes sense that the board will try to find a way to pocket sponsorship money while somehow claim that the shirt isn't "stained".

Guest neesy111

Which means?

I wish I knew :lol:

They just say it won't impact the UNICEF sponsorship, and bar turning our shirt into a Formula One kit, I don't know what they will do.

It's just a rumor, mind, but taking into account our need for cash it makes sense that the board will try to find a way to pocket sponsorship money while somehow claim that the shirt isn't "stained".

A deal like that should make you the biggest club in the world on turnover now, i've always considered barca the biggest and most famous club in the world

Sponsorship money is growing at such a rapid pace that every time it's hard to justify giving up €20-25m every year to cling to romanticism. But still...

At least it's not China or Bwin (our first two rumoured sponsors before we entered the deal with UNICEF).

Guest BooBoo

There was a feature on Talkshite this morning about clubs pre seasons. Apparently in the PL we are travelling the shortest distance and likely spending the least on pre season prep than any other club.

Whilst I don't think buggering off to Australia or the US is particularly good preparation, it's a further indication of Fat Ash wanting to get things done as cheap as possible.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/article/18780/

Footballer throttles referee after sending off

http://l.yimg.com/i/util/anysize/376,http%3A%2F%2Fa323.yahoofs.com%2Fymg%2Fworld_of_sport__4%2Fworld_of_sport-902510989-1279625339.jpg%3Fym7xxeDDS9A3S2BQ?v=2

A Paraguayan football star resorted to the ultimate in dissent after being dismissed during a match: he tried to throttle the referee.

Jose Pedroso of Chilean second-tier side Rangers had been sent off for a wild tackle during his side's 3-0 loss to Deportes Concepcion, and in his fury grabbed referee Marcelo Miranda from behind and throttled him with his arm.

Pedroso's stunned team-mates stepped in to wrestle him away from the match official as an already chaotic match descended into bedlam: the incident occurred shortly after the referee had ordered a penalty to be re-taken three times.

The player has now left the club after discussions with Rangers' chairman Elias Vistoso.

"We spoke to him and he has resigned," Vistoso told El Mercurio. "We know the punishment awaiting him will not be small."

But amazingly, Pedroso has still refused to apologise for his actions and claims he will head back to his home nation with his head held high.

"I'm not sorry," he said. "I was being persecuted by the referee, because it's the third time he has sent me off, and I think I made a grave error but what's done is done."

Fair play to him, tackle wasn't that bad and the ref sounds like a right cunt.

There was a feature on Talkshite this morning about clubs pre seasons. Apparently in the PL we are travelling the shortest distance and likely spending the least on pre season prep than any other club.

Whilst I don't think buggering off to Australia or the US is particularly good preparation, it's a further indication of Fat Ash wanting to get things done as cheap as possible.

If this low expenditure is creating additional funds for investment in other areas, then there really should not be any problems with this. Americans aren't lining up to see NUFC anyway. The best way to gain int'l fans is to win something.

Guest Heneage

What do Blackpool have planned?

Guest Roger Kint

What do Blackpool have planned?

They were about 2-300 miles more iirc

Spot the difference:

Fri 30.07.2010 NUFC Reserves v Gateshead (a)

£9 adults

Wed 04.08.2010 NUFC Reserves v Luton Town (a)

£18 adults

Both sides are in the same (Conference) League, but Luton are being naughty by billing their game as being against a Magpies XI and also trying to punt corporate places at the miserable pit that is Kenilworth Road.

Given that Newcastle have a first team game in Spain less than 24 hours previously (against Deportivo La Coruna), anyone forking out in the expectation of seeing Premier League players is liable to be disappointed....

What tossers. :lol:

School bans playground football after pupils copy 'cheating, fouling' World Cup players

A primary school has banned football after its pupils began copying the cheating and fouling displayed by their World Cup heroes.

Headmistress Pat Fay has faced criticism after introducing the playground ban two days before Spain triumphed over Holland in the final of the tournament.

She claims pupils began 'fouling, cheating and shirt pulling' after watching their role models misbehave on television.

All 83 children are not allowed to play the game in the school yard during breaktime and before and after school.

Miss Fay, of Plymtree CofE Primary School, near Cullompton, Devon, believes that a culture of cheating at the World Cup caused a 'decline in standards' amongst her pupils.

She said: 'We are a Church of England school and we very much value developing a caring attitude among our pupils.

'We felt that playground football was causing a decline in those standards and we noticed that things got worse during the World Cup.

'Children watched their heroes and role models on the television and then copied the fouling and the shirt pulling and the cheating that went on.

'They saw famous players behaving badly and when they got into the playground thought it was OK to kick another player or grab their jumper and pull them over.

'We also had an incident when a teacher was hit in the face with a ball so hard it almost knocked her out.'

On July 9 Miss Fay posted a message on the school noticeboard informing pupils and parents of a blanket ban on football.

It read: 'Recreational football is now banned at Plymtree (even in the mornings and after school)  -  it is not safe and it causes too much bad feeling.'

To replace the lunchtime football sessions pupils will now be supervised several times each week at a nearby playing field  -  but only during the summer months.

But the move has angered parents and upset pupils, who were crowned local champions in a tournament last season.

Carpenter Dave Bunker, 44, whose son Tom, 11, attends the school, runs a local under-11s football team.

He said: 'I can see why football has been banned because we have got such a small playground that it can get a bit feisty.

'But when you have got all the boys wanting to play football it becomes a difficult situation. I feel for those boys because they just love the game.

'The final of the World Cup was just bully tactics and when children see that they naturally want to copy it. The diving and fouling was abysmal.'

Parent governor Siddy Langley believes that the World Cup inspired children who would not normally play football to get involved.

She said: 'It brings out the sportsman in all of us, so it possibly got a bit rowdier.'

Miss Fay added: 'We are not against football, in fact we have lots of good footballers and four or five boys who have real potential.

'A few parents have said to us that they understand the decision. They realise it is difficult with a playground the size of a tennis court for 83 pupils.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1296545/School-bans-playground-football-pupils-copy-cheating-fouling-World-Cup-players.html