Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)

Alby

Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)   

186 members have voted

1. 1. Have you / do you intend to pledge to the 1892 Pledge scheme orchestrated by the NUST?

• Yes
    • No

The fact that there were four posts to fill and only three members put their hat in the ring rather undermines the Trust's position I'd say - they like to boast re their membership nos, but I suspect the reality is that because it was a quid for permanent membership and loads did it during the fag end of the Ashley years and now view it as irrelevant.

Let's be honest, it just comes across as a tF talking shop.

On 09/12/2022 at 19:34, TheBrownBottle said:

Football supporter politics is worse than student politics - it is more delusional and more corrupt, and is of even less importance.  More akin to social club boards than anything.

I do find it hilarious that they think their voices will be listened to, mind, no matter how much arse-licking they do.  They’ll find themselves speaking to PIF even less often than they managed to with Ashley. 

Genuinely it’s incredible the lengths people will go to - look at their essays for fuck’s sake - in order to get what they think is power and influence. Congrats, you just gave yourself a whole load of admin and massively cut into your free time. But it’s worth it because you’re francis deffers more of a fan than me! Legit thought they disbanded once club was sold, purpose served. 

Edited by Theregulars

They've become the antithesis of what they're meant to be about. They should be representing and supporting the fan-base, they're only interested in representing and supporting themselves. 

They're now just a cautionary tale and an example of foxes being given the keys to the chicken coop. Let the self-serving, publicity-hungry wankers get on with it

On 11/12/2022 at 13:16, Heron said:

No, that was my interpretation too. Most tellingly though - is that only three TFers have put forward for it, thus suggesting that not many others want to be involved or see the benefits of the trust. I think many are probably documented members but actually aren't arsed enough about it to cut off their membership. Hardly any people are actually active members so to speak. This has always been the case I reckon but probably none moreso than now.

This was my interpretation as well. Had mixed feelings about it. On the one hand I was surprised that members didn't get the chance to vote anyway (including a "none of the above candidates" option.) But on the other hand I kinda get why the rules are set like that, if positions need to be filled for it to function and there's a lack of competition to get them filled then might as well get the willing folk in for what is an unpaid role that (from the outside looking in) is a massive ballache. Although I know you will have a better understanding of that than me.

After the takeover I thought the Trust would probably blend into the background anyway, fulfilling the role of more of a democratic supporters association rather than a "trust" (which is really what the pledge scheme represented in my understanding of the word.) The kind of body that could lobby the club on fan-centric minutiae eg ticket pricing/allocation, serving better beer on matchdays, whether the bogroll is of the optimum thickness etc. And maybe getting involved in representing complaints by individual supporters or when incidents happen like Leeds (a) last season.

Turns out it's going to be another vehicle to massage the egos of various Tf "characters." It's a shame but also feels kinda irrelevant for want of a better word. Like someone said above, it's not like the owners are going to actually give them any influence or take advice from them on anything of consequence.

On 11/12/2022 at 10:03, bowlingcrofty said:

I know I’ve harped on about it a few times, but the second that NUST backtracked on the loyalty point retention scheme meant I was done with them.

They promised to lobby the club on behalf of those who gave up their ST in protest and backtracked on it. They’ve got a list of those who were part of the scheme and let all those who trusted it down.

Its not the principle about whether we got the points back or not (if the club decide not to give them back then fair fucks, that’s their call), but for the Trust to openly promise to actively lobby on our behalf, and then have a number of people give up season tickets with hundreds of loyalty points on the back of this promise, for the trust to then go “nah actually we’ve changed our mind”, is shitty as fuck.

you make a great point but u expect that the trust (TF) leadership don’t give a fk because they’re not personally affected / inconvenienced.  

Notice of Annual General Meeting (AGM)

Following our recent correspondence in relation to the annual NUST election we are writing to confirm to members that notice is hereby given that this year’s Annual General Meeting will take place on Thursday 12th January 2023 at Heroes Club, Newcastle United Football Club, St James’ Park, Strawberry Place, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 4ST. Doors will open at 6.30pm with formal business commencing at 7pm.

The agenda is as follows:

1. Welcome and Introductions.

2. Apologies.

3. Chair’s update.

4. Treasurer's report.

5. Re-appointment of auditors.

6. NUST election results.

7. Amendment to rules of NUST.

8. Any other business.

We hope to see as many members as possible at the AGM. This is a great opportunity for members to speak to the NUST board and welcome newly elected Board members.

Representatives from Newcastle United Football Club will be in attendance after the AGM for informal discussions. 

Links to documents referenced in the agenda will be provided to members ahead of the AGM.

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/12/2022 at 22:53, TheBrownBottle said:

The fact that there were four posts to fill and only three members put their hat in the ring rather undermines the Trust's position I'd say - they like to boast re their membership nos, but I suspect the reality is that because it was a quid for permanent membership and loads did it during the fag end of the Ashley years and now view it as irrelevant.

Let's be honest, it just comes across as a tF talking shop.

Pretty much describes me, however it was a quid for a one year membership (think it was a bit more for lifetime) and I just paid the quid then never renewed, and tbh would never consider renewing again with it being run as it is, which is basically a TF old pals club.

On 08/01/2023 at 17:51, LFEE said:

Anyone on here going to the meeting this Thursday? Going to have a neb for once to see who’s who and raise a few points🙂

Was going to but I’m working away and I can’t be arsed to try and get out of it to hear a load of excuses or dodging answers. 
The shame of it is there was about 25 people including most of the board (7) last year. I bet there’s a decent turnout this year because it’s at SJP and that will make the “biggest trust” sham appear reasonable. Happy to pass my vote onto a proxy who is attending if anyone wants it. 

Edited by Geordie2302

I think I will be going as I want to bring up a few things.

Namely:

Safe Standing

Season tickets/waiting lists/membership points/loyalty points etc.

Away tickets and issues surrounding corporate away tickets. I saw a post on twitter last night of a bloke getting 3 away tickets for Palace from his work. 

I'd like to see the trust backing the fans on this and using their position to influence on these matters.

On 11/12/2022 at 10:03, bowlingcrofty said:

I know I’ve harped on about it a few times, but the second that NUST backtracked on the loyalty point retention scheme meant I was done with them.

They promised to lobby the club on behalf of those who gave up their ST in protest and backtracked on it. They’ve got a list of those who were part of the scheme and let all those who trusted it down.

Its not the principle about whether we got the points back or not (if the club decide not to give them back then fair fucks, that’s their call), but for the Trust to openly promise to actively lobby on our behalf, and then have a number of people give up season tickets with hundreds of loyalty points on the back of this promise, for the trust to then go “nah actually we’ve changed our mind”, is shitty as fuck.

Nail on the head. I still to this day feel completely hoodwinked by their scheme and maintain I wouldn’t have packed in my Season Ticket if I didn’t think they’d at least lobby for me and let the club decide. 

Gutted to this day and pardon the pun, wouldn’t trust the Trust with anything. Jobs for the boys. No doubt that Charlotte will be next on the board.

16 minutes ago, Chicken Dancer said:

Nail on the head. I still to this day feel completely hoodwinked by their scheme and maintain I wouldn’t have packed in my Season Ticket if I didn’t think they’d at least lobby for me and let the club decide. 

Gutted to this day and pardon the pun, wouldn’t trust the Trust with anything. Jobs for the boys. No doubt that Charlotte will be next on the board.

Can you give me the date and include any links you can find as I’m looking to go Thursday so will bring it up opportunity given. 

Also can you tell me the timescales of when you were a NUST member.

6 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Can you give me the date and include any links you can find as I’m looking to go Thursday so will bring it up opportunity given. 

Also can you tell me the timescales of when you were a NUST member.

So the Trust launched this scheme in 2019 when it became evident many were going to jack their tickets when Benitez was leaving - it's actually still on their website now; www.nufctrust.co.uk/loyalty-points (not sure how to hyperlink as I'm a fool).

They promised to lobby on behalf of those cancelling when we had new owners. Myself and @bowlingcroftycontacted board members, with crofty actually attending a zoom meeting where it was brought up. The consensus was that there wasn't enough people who submitted their points to the Trust in order for them to go through with it, which I think is bollocks. Whether it was 1 person or 10,000, you go ahead with your promise. By the way, I completely understand that I knew what I was doing when I cancelled - risks and all - but I 100% wouldn't have cancelled without the Trust posting this, and bought a lifetime membership on the back of it, which I obviously regret.

I followed their instructions, sent them the screenshots of my points back in July 2019 and for us to be taken over and them to tell me nah, we aren't going to bother, is absolute bullshit. If the club made the decision and said no, I would absolutely accept it. But the way they done this hoodwinked me and many others into purchasing memberships and I can't help but think there was an agenda to boost numbers, despite them saying the take-up was low.

It's a very difficult position for the trust too, to advocate for people who had season tickets in the past is essentially to argue against the interests of people who want to buy one now. There's only a limited number. 

Of course they shouldn't have promised anything that would mislead people. 

2 minutes ago, bowlingcrofty said:

I think the thing that annoys me a lot is the fact they said “ah only 10 people did the scheme, so we’re not doing it anymore”.

Surely if it’s only 10 people then it wouldn’t be too controversial for them to lobby the club to honour it. 

Are you going Thursday?

8 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It's a very difficult position for the trust too, to advocate for people who had season tickets in the past is essentially to argue against the interests of people who want to buy one now. There's only a limited number. 

Of course they shouldn't have promised anything that would mislead people. 

I gave mine up before Benitez as I could see how shit the club was being ran.  Should I not get mine back also? I get punished because I did it before it other people decided to catch on.  Where does it end tbh.

Ditched mine after we nearly went down under Carver. I stuck it out when things looked rosier under Rafa, because it was a point of principle.

If anything I should be at the front of the queue if there was to be some sort of ex-ST holder amnesty. 

5 minutes ago, Slim said:

I gave mine up before Benitez as I could see how shit the club was being ran.  Should I not get mine back also? I get punished because I did it before it other people decided to catch on.  Where does it end tbh.

Which is the main problem with the whole thing really, as you can just as easily make a case for anyone that walked away after the KK fiasco.

Although to be fair, I don’t think the lads discussing this above are really arguing the case either way (well not much anyway). Seems more an issue with the Trust and what was allegedly proposed, as opposed to arguing the issue with the club.