Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)

Alby

Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)   

186 members have voted

1. 1. Have you / do you intend to pledge to the 1892 Pledge scheme orchestrated by the NUST?

• Yes
    • No

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

I still don't get it. What's nefarious about them promoting themselves? What's wrong with them trying to get more members? We can debate their actions and methods but I think that's a separate issue to any debate around whether they should or shouldn't seek out more members. 

Absolutely nothing - providing they do it in the right way.

Clickbait crap like their recent ‘update’ is just as bad as recruiting members on the back of crises only to vanish without following through on promised actions. 

If Luke Edwards wrote an article/tweet saying “BIG NUFC NEWS COMING ON THURSDAY”, he’d get absolutely fucking battered for it if it wasn’t takeover related. Why are the Trust above the same criticism?

1 minute ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Absolutely nothing - providing they do it in the right way.

Clickbait crap like their recent ‘update’ is just as bad as recruiting members on the back of crises only to vanish without following through on promised actions. 

If Luke Edwards wrote an article/tweet saying “BIG NUFC NEWS COMING ON THURSDAY”, he’d get absolutely fucking battered for it if it wasn’t takeover related. Why are the Trust above the same criticism?

Because the Trust aren't trying to sell copies of The Telegraph. 

Because the Trust aren't trying to sell copies of The Telegraph. 

They’re trying to recruit members to promote themselves. What else are they/have they achieved other than self promotion?

How is that any better/different?

Edited by Fantail Breeze

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I still don't get it. What's nefarious about them promoting themselves? What's wrong with them trying to get more members? We can debate their actions and methods but I think that's a separate issue to any debate around whether they should or shouldn't seek out more members. 

Issue for me is when they repeatedly push the "get your voice heard, become a member" whenever the latest crisis appears, then do nowt. 

Got that audience with the premier league then backed off completely straight after.  It was exactly the same when Rafa was leaving "join up get your voice heard" then did nowt. 

As has been said above, they get a far better "press" on here than with the general fan base simply because a few on here are mates. A read of the early pages of this thread shows the difference when that wasn't the case. 

Well, Edwards is an absolute cunt who consistently goads the fans about the club they support whilst he has had the privilege of actually going to watch the games live for the last 12 months and at the same time writing for a paper that supports the party that always acts to the detriment of the north east, people in poverty and people that have suffered from and died from COVID.

Had to get that off me chest. Despise the bald wanker. :lol:

Just now, Yorkie said:

They put pressure on the club and raised the issue with Bill Bush at the PL. 24 hrs later the refunds started being released. 

Process was already underway by all accounts (so i'm told anyway). 

Just now, Fantail Breeze said:

Of course it was - it’d take a lot longer than 24 hours to organise and send out those refunds :lol:

The Trust claiming credit for that ffs.

So damned if they do and damned if they don't, got it.

2 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

Issue for me is when they repeatedly push the "get your voice heard, become a member" whenever the latest crisis appears, then do nowt. 

Got that audience with the premier league then backed off completely straight after.  It was exactly the same when Rafa was leaving "join up get your voice heard" then did nowt. 

As has been said above, they get a far better "press" on here than with the general fan base simply because a few on here are mates. A read of the early pages of this thread shows the difference when that wasn't the case. 

Well my defence of the Trust this evening had nothing to do with knowing Greg personally, and everything to do with faith in the concept that having as united a front as possible will stand us in better stead when it comes to fighting certain battles. And the Trust provides the best opportunity of that.

Like I said in my first post, I can relate to some of the criticism, and if Thursday's announcement is a load of nothing then it'll be a disappointment. But I don't see any harm in trying to get new members. I don't see anyone at the Trust who's out for any personal glory or self-promotion. They're volunteers at the end of the day. 

Just now, 54 said:

So damned if they do and damned if they don't, got it.

I’m pleased they finally put pressure on for something to be done, almost six months into the problem.

To claim their input caused refunds to be issued 24 hours later is naive to say the least.

They wouldn’t be ‘damned if they do’, if they actually did do something (in a reasonable timeframe) and had an output to show for it. 

Just now, Yorkie said:

Well my defence of the Trust this evening had nothing to do with knowing Greg personally, and everything to do with faith in the concept that having as united a front as possible will stand us in better stead when it comes to fighting certain battles. And the Trust provides the best opportunity of that.

Like I said in my first post, I can relate to some of the criticism, and if Thursday's announcement is a load of nothing then it'll be a disappointment. But I don't see any harm in trying to get new members. I don't see anyone at the Trust who's out for any personal glory or self-promotion. They're volunteers at the end of the day. 

Ten years in, what do you think they actually stand for? 

Like I said in my first post, I can relate to some of the criticism, and if Thursday's announcement is a load of nothing then it'll be a disappointment. But I don't see any harm in trying to get new members. I don't see anyone at the Trust who's out for any personal glory or self-promotion. They're volunteers at the end of the day.

38308-F89-EF6-F-408-C-82-AB-4754-C43-EEF

Nope, can’t think of anyone at all.

No idea if I'm missing something but I don't get the hate Alex Hurst gets on here. Tubes hates him. Why? :lol: He tends to be spot on in those immediate post match things he does on the TF YouTube channel and has spoken very well in the national media regarding our hatred for Bruce.

Guest neesy111
1 minute ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

:lol: Fuck me. Someone can't be on the board of a fan group and run a podcast now? 

Get him of Twitter as well.

2 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

38308-F89-EF6-F-408-C-82-AB-4754-C43-EEF

Nope, can’t think of anyone at all.

What about Alex Hurst gives you the impression he's out for self-promotion, beyond the fact that he has an existing 'presence' in mainstream NUFC discourse? As I've said before, I think he represents us really well when appearing on non-NUFC/radio etc. 

To clarify, I'm not sitting here saying the Trust are great achievers on a par with Boudica or the 300. I even said I didn't know much about their usual work. What I'm saying is that, of all the groups, they  have the biggest membership and so if you're going to attach yourself to one, it ought to be that, and there's no harm in them trying to attract more people, given their values and ambitions. 

And also, let's just see what Thursday brings. 

I'm not a member of NUST, never have been, and can't see a time I will be, at least not under this NUFC regime for reasons I'll detail. I also don't know any of the people behind it. But I do think they get a rough press from many, as many seem to want them to be an Ashley Out protest group which they never can be. That's not their purpose. Their purpose (forgive me for speaking on their behalf and correct me if I'm wrong) seems to be to foster a good working relationship with the club to better the interests of the match-going fans.

This is why I'm not a member - I'm not and will not be a match going fan under this regime so NUST are not for me, but under a different regime if I did have a ticket I might consider joining. But they can never and will never be an Ashley Out protest group, or in favour of boycotts or protests and expecting them to do so is missing the point of their existence. If that means they're not for you, move along or form your own group, or find a different one that's already out there. But don't expect them to change purpose because they cannot, their required relationship with the club to advance match-going fan issues precludes them from doing that.

3 minutes ago, Ben said:

It must be so disheartening for NUST to do all this work for the benefit of the fans, to have it all chucked back in their face.

Vast majority of feedback we get is positive - which is really heartening. On Twitter I occasionally offer those that bash us regularly a phone call to chat and discuss ideas on how NUST can improve and move forward etc - they very rarely take me up on the offer. I wonder why. 

2 minutes ago, Ben said:

It must be so disheartening for NUST to do all this work for the benefit of the fans, to have it all chucked back in their face.

What work?

for what benefit?

of which fans? 

How have their apparent 15,000 members benefitted from what you think they've done? 

Just now, Greg said:

Vast majority of feedback we get is positive - which is really heartening. On Twitter I occasionally offer those that bash us regularly a phone call to chat and discuss ideas on how NUST can improve and move forward etc - they very rarely take me up on the offer. I wonder why. 

Happy to discuss anytime, Greg.

7 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

What work?

for what benefit?

of which fans? 

How have their apparent 15,000 members benefitted from what you think they've done? 

A simple read of their website will give you all the information you need, is it just NUST you have an issue with or all fan led groups?