Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)

Alby

Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)   

186 members have voted

1. 1. Have you / do you intend to pledge to the 1892 Pledge scheme orchestrated by the NUST?

• Yes
    • No

6 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

What about Alex Hurst gives you the impression he's out for self-promotion, beyond the fact that he has an existing 'presence' in mainstream NUFC discourse? As I've said before, I think he represents us really well when appearing on non-NUFC/radio etc. 

To clarify, I'm not sitting here saying the Trust are great achievers on a par with Boudica or the 300. I even said I didn't know much about their usual work. What I'm saying is that, of all the groups, they  have the biggest membership and so if you're going to attach yourself to one, it ought to be that, and there's no harm in them trying to attract more people, given their values and ambitions. 

And also, let's just see what Thursday brings. 

As I’ve said, I’m more than happy to throw the full weight of my support behind them - providing they do things in the right way.

At the moment, they don’t, for reasons I’ve already explained. I’ll also eagerly await Thursday and see what the news is.

7 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

I'm not a member of NUST, never have been, and can't see a time I will be, at least not under this NUFC regime for reasons I'll detail. I also don't know any of the people behind it. But I do think they get a rough press from many, as many seem to want them to be an Ashley Out protest group which they never can be. That's not their purpose. Their purpose (forgive me for speaking on their behalf and correct me if I'm wrong) seems to be to foster a good working relationship with the club to better the interests of the match-going fans.

This is why I'm not a member - I'm not and will not be a match going fan under this regime so NUST are not for me, but under a different regime if I did have a ticket I might consider joining. But they can never and will never be an Ashley Out protest group, or in favour of boycotts or protests and expecting them to do so is missing the point of their existence. If that means they're not for you, move along or form your own group, or find a different one that's already out there. But don't expect them to change purpose because they cannot, their required relationship with the club to advance match-going fan issues precludes them from doing that.

That’s not the issue here, certainly from my perspective. You can have a good relationship with the club but also be critical of them where necessary. 

They also shouldn’t encourage fan movements at times of crises, telling people to join ‘to get their voice heard’, if they don’t want to be the voice of the fans they’re representing.

They’ve led people down a path multiple times (as others have said) and they’ve rightly been criticised for doing so. 

8 minutes ago, Ben said:

A simple read of their website will give you all the information you need, is it just NUST you have an issue with or all fan led groups?

Ah, the classic "do your own research" line. :lol:

Assume you couldn't come up with anything......

Alex is great, he always comes across well and on a personal level has been very supportive and helpful with a few bits of writing I've done on NUFC. 

I have a fair idea what Thursday will be and I suspect it will divide opinion between "what's the point" and "good for them" which is basically the same as every discussion involving the Trust on here.

I think given how I feel about the club and football at the moment, even if they announced that the takeover was complete, I think I'd struggle to summon a reaction beyond a shrug of the shoulders.

Hurst wants everyone to jump on board with whatever his latest campaign is but whenever anyone else tried anything, he took great delight in slagging it off everywhere he could. He's very much like Mick Martin was in that if it hasn't got his name on, it's definitely shit. 

I had major reservations about the TF takeover of the trust, around the relaunch and big member push, particularly as it was coinciding with TF launching all sorts of online stuff and I’ve no doubt that was intentional as promoting TF as a business and themselves as media personalities seemed to be their immediate concern. From the outside looking in that seems to have subsided a bit now and the groupthink aspect seems to have diminished too.  

Whatever the trust do they’re on a hiding to nothing. It’s like some minimum wage Amazon contractor driver trying to get Jeff Bezos not to shag his bank balance.

And then you’ll get whinging cunts like me on top of that.

Why are we bashing ANYONE man?

if you dont agree dont join, if you dont agree with whatever it is on Thursday thats fine but dont have a go at them for it

If you think someone should be doing something differently then set it up and do it yourself

I wish i could be involved in the Trust i really do but i just dont have the time at the minute

Well done to all of them at least they are trying to do something

34 minutes ago, Cookie1892 said:

if you dont agree dont join, if you dont agree with whatever it is on Thursday thats fine but dont have a go at them for it

If you think someone should be doing something differently then set it up and do it yourself

I wish i could be involved in the Trust i really do but i just dont have the time at the minute

Very well said. Anyone can put themselves forward for election on to the board as far as I’m aware. 

10 hours ago, Wullie said:

Hurst wants everyone to jump on board with whatever his latest campaign is but whenever anyone else tried anything, he took great delight in slagging it off everywhere he could. He's very much like Mick Martin was in that if it hasn't got his name on, it's definitely shit. 

Yep. I don’t know him personally and not saying he doesn’t speak well etc but his type is the exact reason why we are in this mess. He said he doesn’t want to think too much about decisions the club makes and just wants to get back in SJP asap.

So the club is actively self sabotaging itself but he is just happy to turn a blind eye to all of it and trudge back in and give Ashley his money without realising the impact of his actions or even being open to change by stopping going. How about he and the other sheep does start to think about the decisions that the club makes then maybe we could all get on the same page in action against Ashley. It’s why we are in this position now and have failed to do anything of note towards getting Ashley out. Too many fans ( sheep) happy to just put their head in the sand and stubbornly continue going to games without even thinking of any boycotts/protests etc @HaydnNUFC

Edited by CalmintheChaos

1 hour ago, Cookie1892 said:

We’re not ‘bashing’ anyone. We’re providing constructive criticism and offering solutions about how to make something better.

The problem is people have been saying the same thing for years and the Trust don’t ever seem to listen. Therefore they are rightly criticised about it. After all, they are supposedly a voice of their members.

Maybe under Greg’s leadership there will be positive changes, we’ll have to wait and see (starting tomorrow).

My only issue is that the reason for the trust to exist isn't really logical at the moment, since the club isn't worth engaging with. And doing so only makes it look like a normal football club when it isn't one. 

I'm not 100% sure where people like Hurst sit on going vs not going to games, on the TF podcast plenty of them say they wouldn't be watching the games if there was anything else to do. But then they also say that they wish they could be in SJP so they could get Bruce out etc.

Either way, I personally believe the trust should be a 100% Ashley out protest movement, but that has never had much traction with NUFC fans when other people have tried it.

Best guess , they will be promoting fans buying some tiny percentage of the club alongside PIF as a veneer for Salman Bin murdering bastard and they will assure us all that this will push the takeover in our favour ( it won't ) so join up and be part of the takeover . £ 1 and you too can rub metaphorical shoulders with the murdering Saudi regime ...

4 minutes ago, InspectorCoarse said:

Best guess , they will be promoting fans buying some tiny percentage of the club alongside PIF as a veneer for Salman Bin murdering bastard and they will assure us all that this will push the takeover in our favour ( it won't ) so join up and be part of the takeover . £ 1 and you too can rub metaphorical shoulders with the murdering Saudi regime ...

cool story bro

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

Ashley has done an unbelievable job of splitting Newcastles fan base, it seems to be about 10 groups of fans with totally different opinions of the club and each other with a load of long timers just giving up altogether 

1 hour ago, Ben said:

Ashley has done an unbelievable job of splitting Newcastles fan base, it seems to be about 10 groups of fans with totally different opinions of the club and each other with a load of long timers just giving up altogether 

its like that scene in Life of Brian

The Peoples front of NUFC

The NUFC peoples front

The popular peoples front of NUFC

The popular front of NUFC People

1 hour ago, Ben said:

He hasn't really done anything IMO, it's just how fans are. Football fans are a captive audience, precisely what makes them so easy to take the piss out of.

I contemplated joining the trust, but I stepped back and looked at what they did, I looked at what change they have made .

In truth not a lot

So why join them , what is their point? This is not “having a go” as many seem to put time into it but for why, what is it achieving ? 

ok, what am I doing? Nowt, it’s not me , I stopped going , I thought that’s all I could do tbh. This group influences not a lot from looking at it but fair play if they are, I just don’t see what if anything they have done tbh.

Anyhow , Thursday we will know.

I signed up to be a member of the trust when they had their facelift/relaunch.  I thought they'd be more of an 'ashley out' movement but that's probably partly my fault in not finding out/asking what their objectives were.  They seem to do some good things but if I'm being honest a lot of it passes me by.  The emails come in, give them a quick once over and delete them.  Don't feel they represent my voice particularly well but then I've never been one for making my opinions known to them.

Gotta say though I'm worried about what tomorrow's announcement is going to be.  

30 minutes ago, ScottishMagpie said:

I signed up to be a member of the trust when they had their facelift/relaunch.  I thought they'd be more of an 'ashley out' movement but that's probably partly my fault in not finding out/asking what their objectives were.  They seem to do some good things but if I'm being honest a lot of it passes me by.  The emails come in, give them a quick once over and delete them.  Don't feel they represent my voice particularly well but then I've never been one for making my opinions known to them.

Gotta say though I'm worried about what tomorrow's announcement is going to be.  

Why you worried?

Thing is. Being part of a constituted trust you can know that when you ask members that their responses are tangible and evidenced and any activities have credibility. I’m involved and have collaborated with multiple fan groups and most people/groups are great and devoid of ego. One bad faith actor or headcase, or lack of constituted strategy can derail the whole thing and despite attempts for unity. Lack of structure or hierarchy prevents this - hence why the trust is useful as it has a permanence. I’m a member and I have frustrations with it’s priorities but it does t just represent my priorities but those of far bigger numbers than any fragile group I’ve been involved in.