Cattermole

cosmic

IMO, the only thing that could have made yesterday better, would be to sub in Smith for Tiote and let Smith break his fucking leg in a tackle.  Would of loved Tiote to do it, but I wouldn't want him to get a red card.

He'd be far better off doing Darren Bent. Cattermole won't keep them up, but Bent will.

Objectively though, mackem hating aside, is he any good?

he's a canny player underneath the 'hardman' act that i think steve bruce has had him play up to. don't remember him being as much of a dirty player when he was at 'boro. he's a bit like the lee bowyer of old imo, without the goals though

he's a canny player underneath the 'hardman' act that i think steve bruce has had him play up to. don't remember him being as much of a dirty player when he was at 'boro. he's a bit like the lee bowyer of old imo, without the goals though

He is weng man. His long range passing is woeful. Bowyer without the goals more like Bowyer who doesnt cross the half way line or cant hit 30 yard passes.

Average at best and frankly a bit of a liability in today's game.

Brings very little to the table apart from dirty play and he's now so well known for it he's being watched carefully by refs and FA.

Sadly for them Bruce has paid top dollar and given him a huge contract so he's stuck with him and will therefore play him regardless. I'm sure they have better players on the bench.

Same with Welbeck - has to play on Sir Alex's orders even when he's not doing the business and there's better options available.

Bruce is not the smartest of football managers.

nope all hes good for is kicking the living daylights out of players and once hes booked hes almost useless because of his tendency to smash into opponents and pick up the 2nd yellow, he has no sense of restraint and it was telling he was hauled off by bruce before he got sent off (again)

Guest Heneage

He was clearly brought in to give Sunderland's weak central midfield more strength, they needed someone who wasn't afraid to tackle, the problem is Cattermole can't really tackle. We have witnessed with De Jong anyone can fly in without much care and 'tackle' but a good defensive midfielder is almost like a hitman; calm, collected making as little mess as possible.

Claude Makélélé typifies this. If you watch right through his career, he wasn't really known for tough tackles, more about reading the game and intercepting at the precise moment before laying off a short pass to a team mate. Cana was much the same as Cattermole but at least he had better physical attributes and a bit more determination. The problem Sunday was that Sunderland bypassed the midfield in attack meaning we often just picked the ball up and came right back at them. Cattermole became isolated and the ball was simply passed around him, which lead to him becoming frustrated, a prime example of this was him simply kicking Tiote in our half as he gave him the slip for the umpteenth time.

Cattermole would only work in a 3 man midfield that stays compact, Henderson and Malbranque were too often dragged wide. Wellbeck lacks the discipline to be a winger, they would be better moving Malbranque out to the left and play Riveros, despite Bruce's best efforts to protect his South American imports.

As for his quality as a player, he does appear quite limited, I could see possibly a year or two more in the Premier League before a move sideways or into the Championship, partially due to his shocking temper and poor discipline.

Apparently he intentionally went over the top of the ball and took Modric at the knee last night and only got a yellow for some reason.

'Arry is absolutely fuming about it.

Also should have seen red on Saturday for the double hand ball on the line (not his normal thuggish offence granted) and could well have walked against us.

Referees need to get a grip and clamp down on this idiot, he seems to be getting away with murder on a regular basis.

Bit sad when publicans in his home town can handle the thug by banning him from all licenced premises but the FA and referees seem to be going soft on his on field violence.

Apparently he intentionally went over the top of the ball and took Modric at the knee last night and only got a yellow for some reason.

Also should have seen red on Saturday for the double hand ball on the line (not his normal thuggish offence granted) and could well have walked against us.

Referees need to get a grip and clamp down on this idiot, he seems to be getting away with murder on a regular basis.

Bit sad when publicans in his home town can handle the thug by banning him from all licenced premises but the FA and referees seem to be going soft on his on field violence.

TBF to Cattermole (who is no doubt a dirty mofo) there was a lot of discussion last night about that tackle. A few commentators seemed to think he meant to play the ball, but bounced/skimmed off it and into Modric. Some were saying he was unlucky to get booked.

'Arry is absolutely fuming about it.Also should have seen red on Saturday for the double hand ball on the line (not his normal thuggish offence granted) and could well have walked against us.

not nice being on the receiving end of the dangerous play eh 'arry? he wasn't very sympathetic to ben arfa's injury

*not that i'm condoning cattermole in anyway

TBF to Cattermole (who is no doubt a dirty mofo) there was a lot of discussion last night about that tackle. A few commentators seemed to think he meant to play the ball, but bounced/skimmed off it and into Modric. Some were saying he was unlucky to get booked.

Yeah, they're probably right - he's not the type of player or person who'd intentionally try to take out  a talented opponent is he ?  :coolsmiley:

:lol:

I know he is, I was just saying in this instance it might be his reputation preceding him. I haven't even seen it, just going on radio commentary.

In recent weeks, since Bruce unsurprisingly leapt to his defence, it may just have gone the other way and referee's are letting him get away with his thuggery.

I haven't seen that much of him besides games against us and a few on TV, but it's hardly an exaggeration to say I've never seen a game where he would have stayed on the pitch if the referee was doing his job properly, and that's quite amazing by any thug standards.

It may of course have just been total co-incidence and that in all the other games he really does behave like the Durham Cathedral choir boy Bruce tries to pretend he is.

P.S. I know your just trying to be fair and even handed - I just don't think the odious thug deserves defending.