Sheffield United 0-1 Newcastle United - 02/11/09 - post match reaction from p22

Nate

Just got back, enjoyed that, dunno where the fuck they got 5 minutes from, still, 2 great saves from harper. Anyone else go to Embrace afterwards? Was brilliant singing in the streets afterwards

I find it interesting how high the marks for individuals are in this thread. Had Harper not made that great save in injury time I find it hard to believe many would have got above a 5. We were very poor bar about 10 minutes before the goal and the odd flash of inspiration, cracking result and a good bit of resiliance in the end though.

It was a horrible game against a side who kicked and wrestled anything that moved and a referee who allowed them to get away with it.

Agreed. The crowd was very influential and the ref wasn't strong enough. Not only did he let them get away with some bad challenges, but every time one of their players fell over in our half of the field they got a free kick. He was a typical homer.

Ironic that our goal came after one of our few fouls that he missed.

At the beginning of the season there were quite a few favourable comments about the relaxed standard of refereeing in this division which I had my doubts about at the time and this has just been confirmed in recent matches. Chris Morgan and his ugly friend's "marking" was bordering on cheating yesterday. Served them right that our goal came from an illegal challenge by Nolan. The refs are fucking hopeless imo.

The refs are f***ing hopeless imo.

Personally, I find them no worse than last seasons - I mean, Fulham at home ? How can they be worse than that ?

I find it interesting how high the marks for individuals are in this thread. Had Harper not made that great save in injury time I find it hard to believe many would have got above a 5. We were very poor bar about 10 minutes before the goal and the odd flash of inspiration, cracking result and a good bit of resiliance in the end though.

Enrique would still have merited a 6 or 7 IMO but other than that you're spot on.

Guest jeffers09

One of the worst nights off my life.

Ended up fainting in the toilet  was strectched threw the tunnel i think right by the toon fans if enyone saw

woke up in sheffield  hospital at 4.00 with no cash so ive had to walk to the train station then had to jump a train there's only so long you can hide in a toilet man didnt arrive home untill 8.30 this morning.

Still recovering  :facepalm:

Guest toonlass

One of the worst nights off my life.

Ended up fainting in the toilet  was strectched threw the tunnel i think right by the toon fans if enyone saw

woke up in sheffield  hospital at 4.00 with no cash so ive had to walk to the train station then had to jump a train there's only so long you can hide in a toilet man didnt arrive home untill 8.30 this morning.

Still recovering  :facepalm:

Fainted? Or passed out pissed?

Seriously though, are you ok?

It was a horrible game against a side who kicked and wrestled anything that moved and a referee who allowed them to get away with it.

Agreed. The crowd was very influential and the ref wasn't strong enough. Not only did he let them get away with some bad challenges, but every time one of their players fell over in our half of the field they got a free kick. He was a typical homer.

At the beginning of the season there were quite a few favourable comments about the relaxed standard of refereeing in this division which I had my doubts about at the time and this has just been confirmed in recent matches. Chris Morgan and his ugly friend's "marking" was bordering on cheating yesterday. Served them right that our goal came from an illegal challenge by Nolan. The refs are fucking hopeless imo.

Was it an illegal challenge? Looked pretty good to me.

TBH that was a tough place to go, and the way Sheff Utd played, which was very physical, we showed great character to get a result. It wasn't vintage, in fact it was poor, but the players application was spot on and we defended really well when we needed too. The only players I think who shouldn't be proud of the job they did were Jonas (who never got into the game at all), Taylor (who looked shakey and careless, but made up a little for it with the shot that deflected in) and Butt (who was just Butt I guess). The rest deserved the marks people have given them.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Harper-9- Absolute class.

Simpson-6-Average

Coloccini-6-Decent enough

Kadar-7-After a shaky start he played quite well

Enrique-9-Our best player in this game and in every game by miles

R.Taylor-5- Lucky goal but was a bit of a liability out field

Butt-5.5-A few stray passes but broke up play well at times and didn't do anything too stupid

Smith-6-Went about his job

Jonas-5.5- Didn't offer a lot

Nolan-6.5-Did well enough supporting Carroll

Carroll-7-Good performance all round

Subs-

Ranger-6-Got back and defended well when needed

Harewood-6-Not to sure why he was brought on but got a couple of blocks in

Thought it was perfectly fine too at first, but some of the replays did show that Nolan didn't touch the ball at all.

I saw that replay too, but I think the ball changed direction so it may have been misleading a little and it would have been extremely harsh to penalise nolan for the challenge it seemed hard but fair, in keeping with the game in general. Though some of the man handling Sheef Utd players were doing to our guys in the box for set pieces should have been blown up for.

I certainly don't agree with Blackwell commesnts, that is was definately a foul and that they deserved to win because they were miles better than us. Sounds a bit like a manager feeling a bit of heat, and rightly so,  they should be higher than they are with their squad.

Was it an illegal challenge? Looked pretty good to me.

When Sky slowed it right down it showed Nolan didn't get the ball, would have been hard for the ref to see though, as the defender plyed the ball just as Nolan fouled him.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Might have been mentioned but I thought Shay looked really uncomfortable in the studio last night

Yeah he did. And I don't really think Ryan Taylor understood the comment about the "dubious goals committee" in his post match interview. ;D

Yeah i would probably say passed out pissed is the best way to put it.

Been recovering all day

:lol:

I was waiting for you to admit it was all your own doing before taking the piss. You were rolled past us on the second row, you were absolutely smashed. Pale as fuck with your charver's hat on your lap. :razz:

Guest jeffers09

:facepalm:

What time was that about ?i can briefley remember going past some fans although i thought i was on a stretcher  :idiot2:

When i came round i was in a hospital bed about 3.30 in the morning.

I remember speaking to a claimed sheff u fan but he said he wanted Newcastle to win. :dowie: