Sheffield United 0-1 Newcastle United - 02/11/09 - post match reaction from p22

Nate

Guest toonlass

First half was poor with long balls being played and no time on the ball. Second half was much better in a footballing sense. We were lucky they didn't take their chances in the first half but we were much better in the 2nd.

Harper - 9: Immense when called upon. Best I think I have ever seen of him.

Simpson - 5: Looked weak tonight

Colo - 7: Does the simple stuff really well, and that run in the first half  :colo:

Kadar - 7: Well done to the lad, played good simple stuff to the midfielders

Enrique - 9: Way better in the 2nd half, we will be lucky to hold on to him in the window, he is far and away the best defender in this league

Jonas - 6: Ran, gave the ball away, ran, beat 3 men, passed to someone surrounded by Sheffield United players, ran, lost the ball etc

Butt - 5: Please don't ever pull on a Newcastle shirt again. Please.

Smith - 6: Solid performance, usual grit and determination

Taylor - 6.5: got the goal, took the set pieces but nowt to write home about tbh

Nolan - 7: Some good work, some nice passes, gees the lads up really well

Carroll - 7: Worked hard, unlucky not to score, got back and did the defensive work too

Ranger- 7: He comes on and makes things look good, he runs, he passes, he defends, he links up play. All he needs is a goal.

Harewood - 4: Nowt to say about him really, never looks like scoring, still looked lazy tonight. Would rather he wasn't played tbh.

Terrible header from their guy tbf, straight at Harper.

Not really. Harper was diving towards the close post and had to raise his hand against his body motion to make the save. Top drawer stuff really.

This is the first time I see your lot play live. So. Butt/Smith midfield was pretty awful but you probably expected that. Very disappointed with Jonas, he spent the afternoon walking around and falling on his ass every time he seemed that he was close to doing something interesting. Enrique was good, Nolan had some good patches. Carroll gets stuck in but seems to me to be a very thick footballer.

Struck to me that your off-the-ball movement going forward is truely bad. Every time you went forward your attacking players ended surrounded by a cloud of Sheffield defenders, which means lots of space elsehwere in the pitch, but nobody was moving into it, or offering passing lines to relieve the pressure.

Just got back from the pub and was quietly impressed. Mainly because that's another game that appeared to be fairly even, that you've got 3 points from.

Ratings (probably got some inaccuracies in here, oh well):

Harper 7.5 - Did what he needed to do. That late save was good but I'd hardly call it top-drawer. The header was near enough straight at him, and I'd expect most keepers to save that. But yeah, solid performance.

Simpson 6 - Made some baffling decisions at times and looked increasingly nervy as the game went on.

Kadar 7 - impressive from someone who hasn't played much.

Colo 7 - on the whole, fairly solid. Was tempted to upgrade it to a 9 purely for that first half surge forward.

Enrique 8 - whilst he didn't do a lot that was amazing, his performance showed once more he's ahead of this league.

Butt 6 - didn't do too much damage apart from a decent attempt at a through ball to a Sheff Utd striker in the first half.

Smith 6 - same, was fairly anonymous.

Jonas 5 - pretty shite.

Nolan 6.5 - played decent enough, sometimes some good play, holding up the play and keeping possession, other times gifted possession.

Carroll 8 - tireless shift and enough to merit my MoM award - kept harassing their defenders. Only criticism was he started tiring, unsurprisingly, towards the end (like most of the team).

Ranger 6.5 - did what he could in the time available.

Harewood 6 - same.

I could see the logic behind Hughton sticking 2 strikers on in order to try and push the play further up the field, and to give some added aerial cover for defending set pieces.

In the 20 or so minutes where you took the time to consider the passes you were making, and kept it simple, you were on top. Otherwise it was periods of Sheff Utd going forward divided by periods of crap.

Not really. Harper was diving towards the close post and had to raise his hand against his body motion to make the save. Top drawer stuff really.

This is the first time I see your lot play live. So. Butt/Smith midfield was pretty awful but you probably expected that. Very disappointed with Jonas, he spent the afternoon walking around and falling on his ass every time he seemed that he was close to doing something interesting. Enrique was good, Nolan had some good patches. Carroll gets stuck in but seems to me to be a very thick footballer.

Struck to me that your off-the-ball movement going forward is truely bad. Every time you went forward your attacking players ended surrounded by a cloud of Sheffield defenders, which means lots of space elsehwere in the pitch, but nobody was moving into it, or offering passing lines to relieve the pressure.

Thats about it yeah. They get to nackered to run fowards, or they sit back to much expecting others to sort it out instead of supporting.

Guest firetotheworks

:lol:

so was that like a top class chef watching how a hot dog is made? What with you being a Barca fan and all.

Absolutely spot on.

Doesnt take long to spot.

Guest optimistic nit

bit dissapointed at the anti-shay stuff like. if the last 12 months have shown anything its that he was 100% right to leave our club and i dont hold it against him at all.

Guest firetotheworks

Those subs were bizarre, I can only imagine Hughton was trying to make Sheffield think more about defending, rather than us going for another goal.

They were, but I think the Simpson for Ranger one was actually perfect in every way.

Sheff Utd realised they were getting absolutely fuck all joy out of Jose, and moved it over to our right a lot more, where Simpson looked fragile, was giving away daft free kicks and was letting them get crosses in too often.

He comes off, Nolan moves to midfield, Taylor moves to right back, both natural positions for them. Taylor immediately is more effective than Simpson was, and Ranger and Carroll means we can double our chances of holding it up, which they did fairly often. The only problem was Nolan was the only one supporting them, and more often than not got surrounded.

Jonas for Harewood though genuinely has me baffled, and it was a mistake imo.

Guest toonlass

bit dissapointed at the anti-shay stuff like. if the last 12 months have shown anything its that he was 100% right to leave our club and i dont hold it against him at all.

Get away man!

Those subs were bizarre, I can only imagine Hughton was trying to make Sheffield think more about defending, rather than us going for another goal.

They were, but I think the Simpson for Ranger one was actually perfect in every way.

Sheff Utd realised they were getting absolutely fuck all joy out of Jose, and moved it over to our right a lot more, where Simpson looked fragile, was giving away daft free kicks and was letting them get crosses in too often.

He comes off, Nolan moves to midfield, Taylor moves to right back, both natural positions for them. Taylor immediately is more effective than Simpson was, and Ranger and Carroll means we can double our chances of holding it up, which they did fairly often. The only problem was Nolan was the only one supporting them, and more often than not got surrounded.

Spot on, good post. :thup:

Butt off for Guthrie seemed like the obvious one.

Guest firetotheworks

Sheff Utd realised they were getting absolutely f*** all joy out of Jose, and moved it over to our right a lot more, where Simpson looked fragile, was giving away daft free kicks and was letting them get crosses in too often.

Butt off for Guthrie seemed like the obvious one.

You answered your own question in the first word there.

Guest firetotheworks

Fresh wounds man.

Enrique must move on for his own best. He will easily challenge Capdevilla for that LB spot, in a better club.

He's a class defender, and he's getting better and better going forward, but at the moment he's only doing the last part in the Championship.  Also his passing can be quite poor at times.  If he improves his passing and keeps performing like he is now if/when we're back in the Premiership then he can think about moving on if necessary.  Right now he's getting games and improving so why does he need to go at his age?