Sheffield United 0-1 Newcastle United - 02/11/09 - post match reaction from p22

Nate

I'd say we started with two up front, and finished with one. Just because Nolan is normally a midfield player, and Harewood and Ranger strikers, doesn't mean those are the jobs that they are actually doing.

We won because in the 10 minutes when we were on top, we showed that bit more class than them. We did actually look like scoring, and kept up the pressure until we did. However, Hughton has to address the fact that for most of the game, we were dominated physically and also mentally, in a sense.

I didn't say we started with one up front just because of who was on the pitch, I said it because of the numbers in that position.  Kevin Nolan spent a lot of time with 2/3 of the pitch in front of him and because of that we invited Sheffield onto us when we should have pushed up and gave them something to worry about.

I understand people think Nolan is pretty useless as a footballer but it would be totally unjustifiable if he was dropped.

Shouldn't be dropped. Get Guthrie in the team and drop Butt of at a retirement home.

As much as I want to like Guthrie he was very poor in some of his recent games. Would be good to see him play when the team is playing with confidence though because he has the quality.

Guthrie has played his part this season and there's more to come. It's a squad thing innit?

There were alot of negatives to that performance, and we very much rode the luck, but like the Doncaster game it was all about the 3 points for me.

We're going through a ridiculously rough patch atm and that isn't helped by the appointment of Hughton or the renewed appearance of the likes of Nicky Butt. The more points we can pick up in these next few games the better, whether it deflects off the defender's heel or Kevin Nolan's arse.

Another positive is the fight we showed. There was alot of grit and determination in that performance and it showed that some were giving everything they could for the 3 points. The notable stand-outs are Harper, Enrique, Colocinni and Carroll who can all leave that game with their heads held high. Kadar had a decent game as well.

They showed more passion and bite in that 90 minutes than they did against Doncaster, Scunthorpe, Bristol City and QPR put together. Now they need to focus on upping playing levels and Hughton actually making a competent decision.

That was in no way an acceptable performance, but it's better than we've seen in recent weeks.

There were alot of negatives to that performance, and we very much rode the luck, but like the Doncaster game it was all about the 3 points for me.

We're going through a ridiculously rough patch atm and that isn't helped by the appointment of Hughton or the renewed appearance of the likes of Nicky Butt. The more points we can pick up in these next few games the better, whether it deflects off the defender's heel or Kevin Nolan's arse.

Another positive is the fight we showed. There was alot of grit and determination in that performance and it showed that some were giving everything they could for the 3 points. The notable stand-outs are Harper, Enrique, Colocinni and Carroll who can all leave that game with their heads held high. Kadar had a decent game as well.

They showed more passion and bite in that 90 minutes than they did against Doncaster, Scunthorpe, Bristol City and QPR put together. Now they need to focus on upping playing levels and Hughton actually making a competent decision.

That was in no way an acceptable performance, but it's better than we've seen in recent weeks.

Good post, especially the highlighted part.

Guest neesy111

we were very lucky

hughton's team selection in midfield, pairing butt & smith together is just a receipe for disaster

hugton has showed tonight, that he has been very lucky so far this season and is not good enough of a manager

harewood is a disgrace and should be sent to whatever planet he came from

Guest toonlass

:thup:

we were very lucky

hughton's team selection in midfield, pairing butt & smith together is just a receipe for disaster

hugton has showed tonight, that he has been very lucky so far this season and is not good enough of a manager

Harewood had 5 minutes during which all of the play was in our half man.

I'd say we started with two up front, and finished with one. Just because Nolan is normally a midfield player, and Harewood and Ranger strikers, doesn't mean those are the jobs that they are actually doing.

We won because in the 10 minutes when we were on top, we showed that bit more class than them. We did actually look like scoring, and kept up the pressure until we did. However, Hughton has to address the fact that for most of the game, we were dominated physically and also mentally, in a sense.

I didn't say we started with one up front just because of who was on the pitch, I said it because of the numbers in that position.  Kevin Nolan spent a lot of time with 2/3 of the pitch in front of him and because of that we invited Sheffield onto us when we should have pushed up and gave them something to worry about.

Well it's just not how I saw it tbh. Nolan seemed to be in a very advanced role in the first half, which surprised me, and that was partly why we struggled because he doesn't have the pace or mobility to play there.

When Ranger and Harewood came on, they spent most of the time helping out defensively on the wings - Ranger on the left, and Harewood on the right. Ranger made his presence felt, but Harewood just fannied around.

I do wonder whether Harewood has got it in his head that all this Championship football is a bit beneath him, and he's really a Premiership player with Aston Villa. It feels like he doesn't put the effort in, just in case his cover is blown.

we were very lucky

I don't rate Harewood in the slightest, but even I think the comment was harsh :lol:

:thup:

:clap:

Oh, and I'm going to continue predicting we will lose on here.  When I do we win.

Guest neesy111

we were very lucky

thats my assessment of his time since he's been here, scored against qpr and hasn't tried or done anything else

u see when he tried to control that ball on the counter attack, looked lazy imo

we were very lucky

thats my assessment of his time since he's been here, scored against qpr and hasn't tried or done anything else

An experienced player who's been put out on loan from a Premiership club to a Championship one should be busting a gut, trying to prove that his manager was wrong and that he belongs at the top level. Instead, Harewood seems to be sulking.

Guest neesy111

we were very lucky

An experienced player who's been put out on loan from a Premiership club to a Championship one should be busting a gut, trying to prove that his manager was wrong and that he belongs at the top level. Instead, Harewood seems to be sulking.

yeap totally agree

we were very lucky

He's garbage I can't believe its took this many games to dispute it. The man is clueless. Effort is irrelevant. He's a prime example of a player whos relied on brute force and pace and little else his playing career and now he's hit 30 is losing them. I've heard he had to be shouted at to do simple things such as marking whilst he was on the pitch. Think we made things a lot harder for ourselves with all 3 strikers on

we were very lucky

I don't rate Harewood in the slightest, but even I think the comment was harsh :lol:

aye. 5 mins left, a goal up away from home bring a forward on to play in midfield when you have 2 midfielders on the bench (both of whom play regularly on the right)....and scarily harewood comes on making a "3" sign.....shit man, are we going to play 3 up front to hold on.....what was going on ?

we were very lucky

Sulking got him onto the pitch even though we were in the lead and had two forwards busting a gut already out there. Senior pros certainly seem to run the show with Hughton "in charge".