Sheffield United 0-1 Newcastle United - 02/11/09 - post match reaction from p22

Nate

Easy target is Harewood. Lots of sheep on this board.

true..players who play crap are easy targets and sometimes the sheep will follow the correct course.

Even sheep can see donkeys when they're put in front of them. (confucious say...) Team selection and tactics are the biggest problem no doubt but players such as Butt and Harewood are too old/ineffectual and I get frustrated by it.

Easy target is Harewood. Lots of sheep on this board.

true..players who play crap are easy targets and sometimes the sheep will follow the correct course.

Even sheep can see donkeys when they're put in front of them. (confucious say...) Team selection and tactics are the biggest problem no doubt but players such as Butt and Harewood are too old/ineffectual and I get frustrated by it.

rather butt than smith since late september.

Mixed feelings about the game. At the begining of the season I personally felt Bramall lane would be one of the toughest grounds to go to so to get three points is a good feeling. Apart from that there aren't a huge amount of positives to take out the game.

I didn't understand the starting line up. Your playing a team who've lost three on the trott, go and put some pressure on them. By playing 4-5-1 or 4-1-1 or whatever the hell it was your just inviting the home side to take the initiative, don't give them that chance. Ranger took a while to win me over but giving the rest of the options he should of been up top with Carroll. Oh and Guthrie out for Butt what was that all about?

So you pack the midfield and then employ a tactic of smashing it aimlessly over their heads for the entire first half. The majority of the half was either Harper or Coloccini punting it straight back to the Sheffield defence. Carroll worked his socks off but certainly had his work cut out. At half time I think the penny dropped because although we weren't great second half we actually kept it on the deck in patches and looked a hell of a lot better for it.

Another mystery was the substitutes. While I could understand Simpson, master of the needless foul, off for Ranger but Harewood off for Jonas went straigh over my head. Jonas was awful but surely he could of provided cover for the full back. Probably to prepear us for the genius of sitting in our own eighteen yard area for the last ten minutes.

Which brings me to the positives. The defence were good. Simpson was careless at times but Sheffield put some excellent deliveries into the box which we delt with, not always convincingly, but we got there in the end. Coloccini looks like he's regained his confidence minus the sillyness. Kadar also grew with confidence as the game went on, his distribution in particular improved throughout the game.

Better to be a lucky manager than a good 'un!

Shite starting line up, shite tactics, shite substitutions!

It can't last, can it?!

Why not? This division is utter shit so even when we get out-played (which happens regularly) we can pick up the results due to second rate finishing ability of the opposition. Long may it continue. 

First half was dreadful, and we should have been at least 2-0 down.

The 15-20mins after half time was far better and obviously including the goal won us the game.

Kadar and Harper did well, and Enrique was MOTM by a fucking mile.

Guest Heneage

The 15-20mins after half time was far better and obviously including the goal won us the game.

Kadar and Harper did well, and Enrique was MOTM by a f***ing mile.

I dunno if you agree Dave but, for me, it's night like these, where we play shit, deserve fuck all, and still get 3 points that win championships.

Kadar and Harper did well, and Enrique was MOTM by a f***ing mile.

I dunno if you agree Dave but, for me, it's night like these, where we play shit, deserve fuck all, and still get 3 points that win championships.

Probably the case in this league, simply because the other teams can't finish.

Ryan Taylor won me a free pint, even if it's gone down as an OG I've drank it now  :pow:

Awful game, glad to have won it and well done to Harper for making a few good saves. We were embarassingly deep by the end, but with 3 strikers on  :lol:

Quick ratings because I've had a few:

Harper - 8 - Top saves in stoppages, didn't have to do that much until then as Sheff Utd can't finish for shit.

Simpson - 6 - played like a man just back from injury, don't think he crossed halfway once

Kadar - 7 - Aye, canny.

Coloccini - 7 - Did well tonight, shouldn't be getting dragged down into kicking people slyly at this level, could have been silly.

Enrique - 8 - Our best player.

R Taylor - 6 - Scored, well, sort of. Couple of good crosses but corners were shite and like most of our midfield the game passed him by.

Jonas - 5 - Anonymous for large spells.

Butt - 6 - Didn't do anything particularly stupid

Smith - 6 - Didn't get booked  :banana:

Nolan - 6 - Has the eye for goal that most of our team don't have, forced a good save from Bennett. Crunched their guy on the goal

Carroll - 6 - Battled well against a big oaf in Chris Morgan, doesn't look in control of his limbs sometimes.

Harewood/Ranger - No time to do anything, difference is Harewood let Henderson get his header in whereas Ranger on the opposite side just did enough to put the Sheff Utd guy off.

4-5-1 (4-4-1-1) is all well and good away from home but having Smith, Butt and Nolan down the middle is just stupid. Carroll seems to give a crap but can't help but feel Ranger would be more of a threat with his pace, Sheff Utd's defence was on half way and left our midfield pretty deep. Jonas didn't look like he could be arsed, fortunately Enrique can do the work of 2 men.

Ryan Taylor won me a free pint, even if it's gone down as an OG I've drank it now  :pow:

Awful game, glad to have won it and well done to Harper for making a few good saves. We were embarassingly deep by the end, but with 3 strikers on  :lol:

Quick ratings because I've had a few:

Harper - 8 - Top saves in stoppages, didn't have to do that much until then as Sheff Utd can't finish for s***.

Simpson - 6 - played like a man just back from injury, don't think he crossed halfway once

Kadar - 7 - Aye, canny.

Coloccini - 7 - Did well tonight, shouldn't be getting dragged down into kicking people slyly at this level, could have been silly.

Enrique - 8 - Our best player.

R Taylor - 6 - Scored, well, sort of. Couple of good crosses but corners were s**** and like most of our midfield the game passed him by.

Jonas - 5 - Anonymous for large spells.

Butt - 6 - Didn't do anything particularly stupid

Smith - 6 - Didn't get booked  :banana:

Nolan - 6 - Has the eye for goal that most of our team don't have, forced a good save from Bennett. Crunched their guy on the goal

Carroll - 6 - Battled well against a big oaf in Chris Morgan, doesn't look in control of his limbs sometimes.

Harewood/Ranger - No time to do anything, difference is Harewood let Henderson get his header in whereas Ranger on the opposite side just did enough to put the Sheff Utd guy off.

4-5-1 (4-4-1-1) is all well and good away from home but having Smith, Butt and Nolan down the middle is just stupid. Carroll seems to give a crap but can't help but feel Ranger would be more of a threat with his pace, Sheff Utd's defence was on half way and left our midfield pretty deep. Jonas didn't look like he could be arsed, fortunately Enrique can do the work of 2 men.

It's called defending mate.

Melbourne cup day here in Oz so had the day off and watched the game live at 7am.

A few points though.

I could not understand Hughton's substitutions at all. We were hanging on in the end because of this. Having 3 strikers on the park when we were trying to close the game out seemed really strange to me.

Also, we were lucky with the goal because Nolan's tackle on their guy was definitely a foul, right in front of the refe as well. Taylor could count himself lucky for not being sent off as well.

Carroll was immense. His header that hit the post was superb and his work rate was first class. Harewood showed why he should be sent back to Villa with one chance he had when he could have been clean through but mis controlled.

I lioked the look of young Kadar. He looked good in the air and cool on the ball and he is definitely a future first teamer. Put him beside Steven Taylor and he will be immense, in my opinion.

Jose was superb, especially going forward. Reminded me of Alan Kennedy with those barging runs down the left. However, his defending needs to improve.

All in all, a hard won performance which we edged due to Steve Haper in the last few minutes with threee superb stops. This should not mhave happened withthe substitutions made.

:colo:

Less than 30secs. Impressive.

Seriously though, it's becoming really tiresome. You think he's brilliant, we get it.

Everyone else thought he was ultimate shite. That was also tiresome.

Guest firetotheworks

Seriously though, it's becoming really tiresome. You think he's brilliant, we get it.

Everyone else thought he was ultimate s****. That was also tiresome.

You hated Nolan before he'd even started for us.

I hated Harewood instantly, we're all tiresomely boring dicks, thats why there's a forum.

Everyone else thought he was ultimate s****. That was also tiresome.

You hated Nolan before he'd even started for us.

I hated Harewood instantly, we're all tiresomely boring dicks, thats why there's a forum.

I don't hate Nolan though. I just worried that opposition midfields would run rings round us with old or slow midfielders in our engine room. I never thought it would be the case at this level but I've been unpleasantly surprised :lol: