Dean Ashton to (possibly) retire...

DJ_NUFC

I read about this last week, assumed it had already been posted.

West Ham must be the only club to have worse luck with injured players than Newcastle (having said that, they did buy our crocks like Dyer).

A pity for Ashton but he's still a multi-millionaire at 25 so his cloud has a silver lining.

A pity for Ashton but he's still a multi-millionaire at 25 so his cloud has a silver lining.

Not necessarilly.

Not necessarily what? If he's not a multi-millionaire I'd be very surprised. A mediocre player at a middling Premiership team would more than likely earn well over £2m in 2 years. He was a rated striker so I'd guess he was earning more than a mediocre player.

Not necessarilly.

Not necessarily what? If he's not a multi-millionaire I'd be very surprised. A mediocre player at a middling Premiership team would more than likely earn well over £2m in 2 years.

You might earn that much, don't mean you won't spend it just as quickly, especially as some of these footballers like a flutter.

You might earn that much, don't mean you won't spend it just as quickly, especially as some of these footballers like a flutter.

That's his stupid fault then. All players should know football is a short career.

It's completely fair to spend on martgages, car, etc. based on expectation of future income stream. It's not only a footballer problem. 99 percent of the population would have a problem if their career and earnings were suddenly cut short.

It's completely fair to spend on martgages, car, etc. based on expectation of future income stream. It's not only a footballer problem. 99 percent of the population would have a problem if their career and earnings were suddenly cut short.

A footballer earning £20K+ a week wouldn't have too much problem buying any car or house cash, especially one who's been in the Premiership most of their career. Everyone knows a footballer's career is usually over around the mid-30s if not ended earlier by injury. The length of their career and the mega sums of money they earn cannot be compared to people who earn in a year (if their lucky) what a footballer earns in a week.

good point, u spend what u have, anyone who says otherwise is tight

So if you earned £50K a week you'd spend £50K a week?

Fact is Ashton has earned more at 25 than most of us will in our whole lives. If he hasn't financially prepared himself for a future without his current level of income I have no sympathy.