Future Managers

Mowen

I would imagine Nesta could become a very solid manager, seems calm and collected and has great experience on the pitch, i would also imagine Zanetti could do some business but he will never stop playing so that would be hard to achieve.

For me it would be ideal for someone who's a strong personality as well as a responsible one, i always wanted Luis Enrique to take over some big team (even if he's at one of the best already) in a big league as the main coach for the first team.

LOVE Luis, always been one of my favorite players, such a person.

Luís Enrique

:smitten:

Guardiola, Juande Ramos, Mourinho... all of them once held the post Luís has now. I know Pep rates him and they work pretty closely.

I don't really have any good sense of what makes a player a good manager to be honest... Never been able to establish any kind of correlation. Take some current notables:

Guardiola: captain of Barcelona, Spain regular, great playing career, midfielder = great manager

Carles Reixach: captain of Barcelona, Spain regular, great playing career, midfielder = shit manager

Mourinho: no playing career of note = great manager

Manuel Jímenez: vicious leg-hacking defender = good manager that plays good football

Agree with Kevin Nolan, I think he has a good footballing brain, just lacks the skills, physical ability to be the best, but combining intelligence with his decent mentality, I can see him as someone who could get a good team together if he finds himself at the right place at the right time.

To be honest though, it is impossible to predict who the good managers will be, especially today where Bobby Robson would have never got the second chance he needed to be a top manager.

Guardiola: captain of Barcelona, Spain regular, great playing career, midfielder = great manager

Can you really call Guardiola a great manager? It was clear Barca needed a change, he is yet to come under pressure as a manager...

I admit he has to pass the test of time and repeated success, but he just had the best season in the club's history, and this isn't the greatest squad in the club's history. He's also had success in the lower leagues so I don't think he fluked it.

To be completely honest I dismissed his appointment as the club sucumbing again to the Messiah complex (don't think Newcastle are alone in that) that we seem to do every time we have bad seasons, and I was fortunately proved massively wrong.

But yes, I guess I can't call him "great" but I'm really looking forward to his career (even if it takes him away from us).

Agree with Kevin Nolan, I think he has a good footballing brain, just lacks the skills, physical ability to be the best, but combining intelligence with his decent mentality, I can see him as someone who could get a good team together if he finds himself at the right place at the right time.

To be honest though, it is impossible to predict who the good managers will be, especially today where Bobby Robson would have never got the second chance he needed to be a top manager.

And Ferguson would have got the boot at United.

I misunderstood this thread thinking it was future mangers for ourselves, but still wanting to make my point...

Lee Clark is pushing hard for consideration in a year or two in my opinion.

I have been watching the Huddersfield highlights over the past few weeks (live in Yorkshire now unfortunately) and he's got them playing nice stuff.

I then remembered he's been managing since he was playing. I remember him coaching kids whilst he was still playing. Around 94 he was managing the likes of Walker Central, he was reserve team coach and manager, assistant at Norwich..... Also obvious in Huddersfield at the moment is the glorious style Clark played in under Keegan. Theres a lot of experience and know how in that fella and I just think he may be an excellent manager in the future. Not to mention the success (hmm) we seem to have when bringing in past legends as Managers.

Shola 'Ice Cold Killa' Ameobi will be the first black manager to win the Prem

He'd also be the first manager to wear flip-flops on the touchline. He would also have all of his substitues warming up on exercise bikes, eating apples.

Rooney's already started taking his badges, hasn't he? Beneath that scally image, there's a good football brain.

Alan Smith is a good shout.

Otherwise it's difficult to say, because a lot of the best managers have suffered disappointment in their playing careers, and still have something to prove. Ledley King, maybe?

Guest palnese

I'd be very suprised if Steve Harper dosent go on to some coaching capacity. I could imagine Clarence Seedorf stepping into management aswell as somebody has already mentioned.

I think he said in an interview some time ago that he would like to be a referee.

Harper that is.

Guest Chubby Jason

I'd be very suprised if Steve Harper dosent go on to some coaching capacity. I could imagine Clarence Seedorf stepping into management aswell as somebody has already mentioned.

I think he said in an interview some time ago that he would like to be a referee.

Harper that is.

Harper is already a qualified ref is he not? Would be good to see him give it a go. I cannot understand why anyone would like to be a referee given the abuse they constantly suffer to be honest.

Guest Chubby Jason

Raul?

His manager said last week that he is very interested on becoming a manager. That would be ace.

He'd be more nailed on to manage Real than Shearer is to manage us.

He comes across as pretty inarticulate in interviews, so here's hoping he'll be pants.

Is he still getting into the team on merit these days? Or is it his "off the field leader" status that gets him picked all the time?