Newcastle United 3-0 Swansea City - 28/11/09 - post match reaction from page 11

Nate

if people are going to mention the clear cut chances they created and missed, then surely you have to mention ours. we should have still won 6-4.

also noone mention that cracking finish from lovenkrands (I think it was anyway)? pity it was ruled offside.

Possibly the worst 3-0 win i've ever seen. Happy for the result don't get me wrong but we didn't deserve that big a winning margin and really didn't play well. All credit to our defence who did well for us.

Whatever happened to the "Why can't we play badly and win ???" people ?

Or are they complaining because we did ?

Unfortunately it's been so long since we played well and won though, possibly Ipswich ? And then before that it's even longer.

if people are going to mention the clear cut chances they created and missed, then surely you have to mention ours. we should have still won 6-4.

also noone mention that cracking finish from lovenkrands (I think it was anyway)? pity it was ruled offside.

If they could have put more of there 15 shots on target then it could well have been a totally different game, they had the possession, they had the shots, they had plenty of corners. There problem was our defence played well (well taylor and Colo) and their strikers couldn't finish.

At the minute we're lucky that teams fear us and kinda sit back at bit. When they don't we get scared and show our many many faults.

Luckily we have the best collection of goalscorers in the league and the best collection of goalkeepers in the league and that's what makes the difference more or less every week.

Hmmm. Not sure about the first part, the second is dead right.

Prem teams haven't got a pair of keepers to match Harps and Krul

Possibly the worst 3-0 win i've ever seen. Happy for the result don't get me wrong but we didn't deserve that big a winning margin and really didn't play well. All credit to our defence who did well for us.

Whatever happened to the "Why can't we play badly and win ???" people ?

Or are they complaining because we did ?

We were at home to Swansea ffs

So what ?

The same applies for frig's sake.

somewhat pissed off that in effect I paid full price for what was effectively 45 minutes of football.  It still puzzles me why we run out of momentum after a good first half.  The same happened against Peterborough.  We were controlling the game with relative ease, restricting them to the odd through ball which was dealt with easily and poor pot-shots from outside the box.  Nathan Dyer, their supposed danger man switched from the right to the left after having no luck whatsoever against Jose, who was helped out by Colo.

Aside from that, Jonas still remains to me amazing at losing the ball, and Smith is never going to score for us, ever.  If he can't finish from 6 yards with no-one around him he has no hope.

somewhat pissed off that in effect I paid full price for what was effectively 45 minutes of football.  It still puzzles me why we run out of momentum after a good first half.  The same happened against Peterborough.  We were controlling the game with relative ease, restricting them to the odd through ball which was dealt with easily and poor pot-shots from outside the box.  Nathan Dyer, their supposed danger man switched from the right to the left after having no luck whatsoever against Jose, who was helped out by Colo.

Aside from that, Jonas still remains to me amazing at losing the ball, and Smith is never going to score for us, ever.  If he can't finish from 6 yards with no-one around him he has no hope.

I believe it boils down to the MC's. Nolan just doesn't get involved enough when he plays there, and Smith ends up being over-ran against teams which have a bit of pace and movement. Nolan has been most effective when he's supported a striker as an AMC. I believe that's where most of his goals have come from.

Nolan has been most effective when he's supported a striker as an AMC. I believe that's where most of his goals have come from.

Most of his goals have come from when he's supported two strikers as an AMC, he's generally quite ineffective playing alongside or just behind one other striker.

I would be instructing the players to take it easy if we were 3 up at half time since the squad has to play around 50 games in the season with a smaller than normal squad size. Nothing matters apart fom the 3 points so conserving energy in games is probably high on the priority list. 

Can't believe the amount of moaning about the game.  As someone has already mentioned it's not going to be pretty football when Nolan and Smith are your central midfielders, if we are winning games consistently then we are doing pretty much all that can be asked.

I would be instructing the players to take it easy if we were 3 up at half time since the squad has to play around 50 games in the season with a smaller than normal squad size. Nothing matters apart fom the 3 points so conserving energy in games is probably high on the priority list. 

Exactly, why do people always fail to recognise this.

I was really fucked off at half time - Lockwood on real radio asks Moncur for his opinions on the first half, and what does Moncur do?

PUTS A MASSIVE FUCKING DOWNER ON IT, that's what. "we've only made 3 chances, we could easily throw this away" :lol: I was sitting cursing him for the entire interval.

What I'm trying to highlight is that if we get promotion, then we cannot rely on an MC partnership of Smith and Nolan. We'll be torn to shreds, much due to the latter's problem of not being involved enough. Of course, lots of football to be played between now and May.

Because it would be nice to hand out a real battering to someone and it would send out a message, If WBA can do it, then why can't we?

Because it would be nice to hand out a real battering to someone and it would send out a message, If WBA can do it, then why can't we?

This.  I wouldn't have said we were huffing and puffing using up a ton of energy in the first half anyway.

I would agree we don't want to burn ourselves out but if you want to conserve energy then chasing the ball for one half isn't the best way to do it.  Conserving energy would mean keeping the ball.

We have a squad that is about as small as it's ever been with virtually none of them ever playing this many games, we have no guarantee that we'll get much funding in January, we have some totally unfit key players (see Nolan) who have no replacements in-squad.

Fatigue is something vastly overlooked by people at the end of a season (Villa for the latter stages of last season). If we go flat out from now till Ferbruary or March then we'll be screwed, and those 4-0 wins might start to turn into 1-0 losses especially in difficult conditions and that can potentially mean we go on a bad run and lose all our momentum. At the end of the day a 10 -0 win is 3 points and so is a 1-0 win. I don't care about West Brom, yeah they're thumping everyone etc etc but i don't see them ahead of us in the table.

I would agree we don't want to burn ourselves out but if you want to conserve energy then chasing the ball for one half isn't the best way to do it.  Conserving energy would mean keeping the ball.

Fair point, but you're going to have to run anyway however attacking means doing that defending and then running to attack then running back to defend etc.

Thought we were very good yesterday, with 2 excellent keepers and yesterday's back four (Colo was superb) we will beat most teams at this level. Three very well worked goals too.

Don't understand why some are moaning about the 2nd half performance, they are a useful side (e.g. beat West Brom away) and at

3-0 down they brought forwards on and got at us which is exactly what they had to do. I still think that we had the better chances and looked more likely to score during that part of the game despite them having more posession.

Great little cameo from Pancrate too - he certainly seems up for it.

That's kind of the reason many of us were so happy when Colo signed. Last season he wasn't really asserting himself as he could have been yet he literally looked like he wanted to do the rest of the defence's duties for them yesterday. He has pace, two brilliant feet and an excellent standing tackle. He was playing against championship players but i'm very encouraged by his attitude. As with monday night he celebrated the first goal like a madman.

Crap second half, yes.

But this was the way George Graham built both Arsenal and Leeds (not saying anything about matching us with either BTW) and they got used to the formula and got better and better at it. I'd be happy with us sniggering "1-0 to the NUFC" as Arsenal fans did under Graham !

That's kind of the reason many of us were so happy when Colo signed. Last season he wasn't really asserting himself as he could have been yet he literally looked like he wanted to do the rest of the defence's duties for them yesterday. He has pace, two brilliant feet and an excellent standing tackle. He was playing against championship players but i'm very encouraged by his attitude. As with monday night he celebrated the first goal like a madman.

He is certainly winning over the fans.

He knows that with every win he's closer to getting a move.

I think he is a top player (Argentina and La Liga on his CV would probably support that view) who had a difficult first season in a new  country - just like many other top players have too.

When he gets back into the PL I think we will see a much better player than last season. I really hope that's with us !

That's if the rumours from True Faith's match report from yesterday are to be believed....

Player fatigue is always a bit of a concern, but it's also a bit of a cop-out. Compared to other Championship sides, some (in fact most) have smaller squads than us. These lads are professional footballers, supposidly as the peak of their fitness. And they have trouble playing 2/3 times a week? Christ - god help them if they had to live in the real world.