No. 1 striker

Guest tobiazvanderziaz
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Currently Carroll, hopefully Shola. I share the fears that he may have reverted back to type, as he has done so many times immediately after injury. He wasn't that fit prior to getting knacked this season.

Hopefully Lovenkrands has worked his way into Hughton's plans now, however. Saturday proved what a bit of zip and pace can do to opposition defenders in this league.

I wonder if Shola's actually any good, I was at a wedding for the hat-trick game so didn't see the full performance (obv seen the goals) but he was as s**** as ever against West Brom, I was laughing at full time with the lad next to me about how he wasn't even good enough for this league. Obviously he's a god mind.

he was really bad at west brom like, i'm sure it was he that booted harper in the head and harper went off.

that said he did well after that until his injury but he could have had 5/6 in his hat trick game iirc

It was him, yeah. I remember thinking his movement was woeful in that game, whenever someone was looking to put in a cross he never did anything to lose his marker, just ambled into the area. He looked like he could have played for a month and never scored that day.

I don't think Carroll does anything to lose his marker either, there again both are target men for the main part so don't really think that's their main requirement. Lovenkrands and Harewood are probably the two out and out strikers who you would expect to be getting loose regularly from their markers, Ranger, Shola and Carroll it's more about what they provide for the rest to play off first and foremost.

Guest saintscoobz

In the few games ive seen from Shola this season, he's been class.  I am looking forward to seeing him fit again and banging them in.

Carroll for me.

Would like to see Ranger get more of an opportunity, but for me Carroll and McLoven are the best combination.

Agreed. Its either Carroll and Loven or Carroll and Ranger (but too early to tell if Ranger is as good as he could be yet, he needs more games).

Ranger scores for fun in the reserves he just needs one or two 1st team goals to boost his confidence and we could have a cracking player on our hands. CH sees him as a super sub at the moment it seems.

I'd play Ameobi if we needed a big man type striker and Carroll was struggling for whatever reason.

CH seems to really fancy Harewood though. Last game when he finished two excellent heading oppourtunities very well aside (they fell for him perfectly, its happened to me before), he's been crap. I'm confident we'll see his normal crap service resumed in the next few games. He's a complete passenger in most games, he may get lucky if someone gives him a chance on a plate but the rest of the team needs to carry him he offers nothing himself. When we can't get the ball to him he will not drop deep and be able to create anything himself and he's doesn't scrap and fight for every ball the way he should when he's up top. Doesn't seem interested in many 50/50 balls and very hesitant with anything thats not clear cut.

Ameobi, as he's the most experienced and most likely to finish off decent chances. And based on the most recent game, Lovenkrands alongside him.

Ranger and Carroll are both promising prospects, particularly Ranger if he can find his scoring boots, as his holdup play has looked exceptional. But for now, we should field what is most likely to get us 3 points every game, as promotion is more important than aiming to develop players who may or may not eventually be good enough for the Premiership.

Guest Roger Kint

Can't get over the fact that Ranger has more than Harewood and Lovenkrands.  :lol:

I cant get over the fact that my point of them not being good enough so its not important was poo pooed despite a bloody option to choose it on the poll ;D

Can't get over the fact that Ranger has more than Harewood and Lovenkrands.  :lol:

In spite of Harewood's goals at the weekend, Ranger's comfortably been a more effective footballer for us this season; atleast that's the general concensus amongst fans and i find it difficult to disagree with - so i'm surprised you're surprised.

Lovenkrands i agree with because i think the weeked proved how criminal it is we've not been playing him up top. If big strikers weren't so effective in this division, Lovenkrands would have to be the number 1 man, because he's got the pace to frighten teams. You can see that if he's got a bit of zip about him, he'd be a very difficult striker to handle for the sub-par defenses down here. He's a good little player and i've never thought any differently. Unfortunately he's a bit lightweight so it's not as if he'd ever be able to lead the line, so he'd never win this poll.

It's a difficult one to pick really; my mind's changed about three times since i made this post. You could say Lovenkrands could play with any of the other four, making him the 'no 1'... but then - in such a shoddy league i'm near certain a line-up of Shola and Carroll would be very effective. See Reading/Sheff Wed. Retain possession, bully defenders, score goals.

In all honesty i'd say we've got four strikers who are pretty much on par. Ranger's something a bit different but he'd marginally (by the width of a hair) be bottom of the pecking order for me, cos he can't score.

Smith's obvs top of the pile btw (:thup:).

I didn't phrase it too well. You said you were suprised that Ranger's ahead of Harewood in the poll. I was just saying there that it was bound to be the case cos everyone at the games prefers Ranger; the cheers for Ranger whenever he comes on are pretty vociferous and Harewood is still getting some boos when his name is read out pre-game.

I said people think Ranger is a better footballer; i'm on about technique and whatnot, ability to hold it up etc. I'd say there's a fair argument to suggest so. However, personally i'd probably start Harewood over him as he's more of a goal threat.

But on the whole everyone's pretty even.

Gah; "i find it hard to disagree with" people saying Ranger's got better technique and whatnot.

I said people think Ranger is a better footballer; i'm on about technique and whatnot, ability to hold it up etc. I'd say there's a fair argument to suggest so.

It's called teamwork.  It's not their fault Harewood is incapable of bringing anyone else into play, or dragging players out of position or generally being a menace.

We've won with Harewood-Lovenkrands, Ranger alone, Carroll alone, Shola-Carroll, Ranger-Carroll, so who cares as long as we keep winning?

I voted Ranger because although he's not scored yet he's the only one who looks to me to have a chance of being a quality Premier striker. The rest might be ahead of him in the pecking order but apart from Carroll they aren't going to get any better.

Good to see all our strikers are starting to hit the target. Genuine competition for places is healthy and it'll help keep tits like Carroll in line if there's a chance someone else will grap his spot if he slacks off.