No. 1 striker

Guest tobiazvanderziaz
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Talking about this years strikers is bit   :-[ at least last years debate Oba V Owen was about strikers who had/still have a bit class, this year it is AChaver, Nil Ranger, free transfer, loan signing who all make Shola appear to be Marco Van Basten.

Shola and Harewood could do a very good job together in my opinion.

They both stand offside too much, both don't put enough effort in, both foul too much, both jump too early for headers, both have a poor first touch and both never look like they were expecting to receive the ball when they get it and are therefore on the back foot.

You could be on to something, at least they'd understand each other. ;)

Carroll's played up front more than anyone else this season. 4 goals to show for it represents a pretty bad return for a striker almost guarenteed a place in the team every week.

4 goals, and how many assists?  How many times has he played the lone striker role in his appearances this year?  He has done it well all season, he holds the ball up better than any one of our forwards.  It's what you need away from home.

Guest Heneage

If Carroll's flicking them on he can't be expected to score as well, target men are expected normally to chip in with the odd goal but by in large be the source for which others score.

Shola and Harewood could do a very good job together in my opinion.

They both stand offside too much, both don't put enough effort in, both foul too much, both jump too early for headers, both have a poor first touch and both never look like they were expecting to receive the ball when they get it and are therefore on the back foot.

You could be on to something, at least they'd understand each other. ;)

Both will also score goals in this league. They're both poor and I don't expect them to form a cracking partnership but both have shown so far that they can get on the end of chances in this league, important because we create so few.

I think Kevin Davies is a prime example of a vital striker with a poor goal output.

Yes, he may not be everyone's cup of tea but the difference he makes to Bolton is unreal. I would say he probably does more than any player to keep them up each season whilst failing to score more than ten goals a season.

I think what Carroll offers in both boxes is vital. The game against Reading in the second game of the season was a good example of the damage he can do without scoring. He battered them all game and provided an excellent platform for Shola to have a good game without having to worry about target man duties. His defensive play has also been excellent and has no doubt contributed to our major improvement in defending set pieces.

He doesn't score as many as perhaps he should. That's fair. However, I still think he has it in him to score ten in the Premier League. He scored 3 goals last year and he can't have started more than 10 games. If he could score ten, and provide a foil for another striker to bag 15 he'll have a canny career.

Carroll's played up front more than anyone else this season. 4 goals to show for it represents a pretty bad return for a striker almost guarenteed a place in the team every week.

4 goals, and how many assists?  How many times has he played the lone striker role in his appearances this year?  He has done it well all season, he holds the ball up better than any one of our forwards.  It's what you need away from home.

Does he? He's generally looked fairly clumsy when I've seen him, Ranger looks the best at bringing other players into play for me. Carroll is a handy battering ram but he doesn't link so well with other team mates for me.

He does best still with another lad along side him. Next time he players id like to see him and lovenkrands given a chance together, they have the attributes of a good partnership & havent really had a chance. Drop Nolan in behind them & you'd have a dangerous attack. The one upfront stuff is just a waste now when we've so many options.

Does he? He's generally looked fairly clumsy when I've seen him, Ranger looks the best at bringing other players into play for me. Carroll is a handy battering ram but he doesn't link so well with other team mates for me.

If Nile passing backwards floats your boat fair enough, I prefer flick ons for others to run onto. I know which one will do well on Prozone & I know which is more likely to lead to us scoring a goal.

If Nile passing backwards floats your boat fair enough, I prefer flick ons for others to run onto. I know which one will do well on Prozone & I know which is more likely to lead to us scoring a goal.

Carroll's flick ons would be great if somebody knew where the ball was going to end up.  His head must be the shape of a 50p piece judging by the randomness of where the ball goes.

Carroll's flick ons would be great if somebody knew where the ball was going to end up.  His head must be the shape of a 50p piece judging by the randomness of where the ball goes.

Luckily two people randomly ran onto them yesterday.

More often than not they go to the opposition, not always though.  He's just a kid so maybe he's learning, we'll see as he seems to be getting a few games.

More often than not they go to the opposition, not always though.  He's just a kid so maybe he's learning, we'll see as he seems to be getting a few games.

He also flicked on for Shola in Sheff Wed game. That is natural as there is going to be more defenders covering the flick on going forward.

He also flicked on for Shola in Sheff Wed game. That is natural as there is going to be more defenders covering the flick on going forward.

I thought Shola scored directly from the corner in that game, I could be wrong though.