Michael Owen (now retired)

Keefaz

One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?  

648 members have voted

1. 1. One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?

• I envy the deaf.

Quite interesting to see Fergie say Owen will be still there next season. Also that he's take part in every training session surprises me.

"He has done well here, he has been a success," Ferguson says. "He's a great professional, he's never missed a training session, his performances in training have been very good, and I think he has improved as a footballer in his time here.

"His general knowledge of the game is better, so is his linking play, and for the first time in his career he is getting used to coming on as a sub. I think he's enjoying being a part of it here and he'll definitely be here next season because I have absolutely no intention of letting him go. The only problem Owen has got at the moment is Wayne Rooney. We're getting incredible performances from Rooney at the moment, and Michael has come here at a time when another striker, and sometimes the only one we use, is on the rise."

[...]

"Getting used to playing as sub may be an advantage in the long term. Even though he's not figuring a lot for us, he's still the one player you would want on your bench if you need to make a change with 15 minutes to go in a World Cup quarter-final. That has to be in your thinking. It's going to be difficult for him to get to South Africa I know, it's a big ask to pick a player who is not playing, but I don't need to tell Fabio how to do his job. He's an experienced manager who knows what he wants and he knows what striking options are available."

The full article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/feb/28/michael-owen-england-carling-cup

Yes but Ferguson isn't exactly renowned for admitting his own mistakes is he.

Jaap Stam, Gazza

Quite interesting to see Fergie say Owen will be still there next season. Also that he's take part in every training session surprises me.

"He has done well here, he has been a success," Ferguson says. "He's a great professional, he's never missed a training session, his performances in training have been very good, and I think he has improved as a footballer in his time here.

"His general knowledge of the game is better, so is his linking play, and for the first time in his career he is getting used to coming on as a sub. I think he's enjoying being a part of it here and he'll definitely be here next season because I have absolutely no intention of letting him go. The only problem Owen has got at the moment is Wayne Rooney. We're getting incredible performances from Rooney at the moment, and Michael has come here at a time when another striker, and sometimes the only one we use, is on the rise."

[...]

"Getting used to playing as sub may be an advantage in the long term. Even though he's not figuring a lot for us, he's still the one player you would want on your bench if you need to make a change with 15 minutes to go in a World Cup quarter-final. That has to be in your thinking. It's going to be difficult for him to get to South Africa I know, it's a big ask to pick a player who is not playing, but I don't need to tell Fabio how to do his job. He's an experienced manager who knows what he wants and he knows what striking options are available."

The full article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/feb/28/michael-owen-england-carling-cup

Jaap Stam, Gazza

Paul McGrath my Lord. Paul McGrath.

Although I don't know how you could call Gazza a mistake when he never actually signed for them no matter how much he tried to get him. And tbf he's always said that his biggest regret at Man Utd is not getting Gazza.

[...]

Jaap Stam, Gazza

Paul McGrath my Lord. Paul McGrath.

Although I don't know how you could call Gazza a mistake when he never actually signed for them no matter how much he tried to get him. And tbf he's always said that his biggest regret at Man Utd is not getting Gazza.

Regrets, mistakes, they're all the same.

Too much of a gamble to rely on him getting and staying fit for a month in the summer. Waste of a place if he can't play more than 3 games in a row without pulling his hamstrings

He's not fucking going anyway, I don't even know why I'm trying to think of excuses and reasons not to take him tbh.  ???

Piece of turd injured yet again. Shame.

But he proved today exactly what a world class striker he is, how many forwards can score from 18 yards out virtually unchallenged? Not many if these commentators are anything to go by. World class!

Feel a bit sorry for him today, he was looking pretty good and then his body let him down yet again.

You feel for the man who treat NUFC and the captaincy with utter contempt and whose non performances last year were a key factor in our relegation? Jesus wept, have a fucking word.

Feel a bit sorry for him today, he was looking pretty good and then his body let him down yet again.

You feel for the man who treat NUFC and the captaincy with utter contempt and whose non performances last year were a key factor in our relegation? Jesus wept, have a f***ing word.

Yeah our top scorer caused our relegation obviously.

You feel for the man who treat NUFC and the captaincy with utter contempt and whose non performances last year were a key factor in our relegation? Jesus wept, have a f***ing word.

Finally realised have you?

[...]

load of bollocks.

From the BBC:

Michael Owen on his World Cup chances: "I didn't think of who was watching. It was a real chance for me because I haven't started too many games. I don't think about the World Cup. A lot of people have been getting their knickers in a twist about it. I just want to play for Man United and if that gets me recognition, then great. I've been to many World Cups and European Championships. If I don't go, it gives someone else a chance."

From the BBC:

Michael Owen on his World Cup chances: "I didn't think of who was watching. It was a real chance for me because I haven't started too many games. I don't think about the World Cup. A lot of people have been getting their knickers in a twist about it. I just want to play for Man United and if that gets me recognition, then great. I've been to many World Cups and European Championships. If I don't go, it gives someone else a chance."

what he said on TV. Apart from the bit on the end which was muddled up.

From the BBC:

Should have read as

Michael Owen on his World Cup chances: "Weren't you watching? I've picked up yet another injury."

Lie.

Guest Stephen927

It surprises me that people still say Michael Owen only needs one chance to score. I mention last season they say no one cares about Newcastle, I mention this season then they put it down to coming off the bench a lot.

Owen just isn't any good anymore, basically.