Michael Owen (now retired)

Keefaz

One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?  

648 members have voted

1. 1. One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?

• I envy the deaf.

Ambition is what separates the good, the great and the has-beens.

You look at players like Raul (Schalke) and Van Nistelrooy (now Malaga), players who've won it and had it all, and see them still doing the business for clubs other than the ones they made their name with, and the difference is stark.

It goes for any walk of life. You can be the guy who gets 3 promotions in 3 years in a corporate job, watching the person next to you continue in the same position you were in, the one he has been holding onto for 15 years.

When things get stale, you need a change, whether good or bad, otherwise wtf is the point of life. Comfort zone = might as well be dead.

“We might have been a poor team, but we made him a rich man,” said Shepherd. “It’s very disappointing to hear Michael Owen say that about Newcastle. There was nothing poor about what we paid him, more than £90,000 a week. Look at what it cost Newcastle. We paid £16million to Real Madrid for him and his wages over four years cost approximately £20m. Add on the bolt-ons such as National Insurance and Owen cost £40m over the four years he was there. “It works out at around £500,000 for every game in a Newcastle shirt. Poor? Well, he wasn’t poorer for it.”

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/250504/Michael-Owen-out-of-ToonMichael-Owen-out-of-Toon#ixzz1OAHPoYoH

So Fat Fred reckons Owen was paid over £90K  a week & cost the club around £500K a goal.

Llambias, who with new owner Mike Ashley tried to keep Owen happy, was just as disappointed.

Read more: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/250504/Michael-Owen-out-of-ToonMichael-Owen-out-of-Toon#ixzz1OAHn5hHv

“Michael is the most expensive signing Newcastle has ever made and I’m disappointed with his comments.

“Under Kevin Keegan’s management with us he was offered an extension of his contract at £140,000 a week, which he did not take. He was already on £133,000 a week.“Quite honestly, what did Newcastle United get out of it? His time here cost the club some £40m at something like £1.3m per goal.”

Read more: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/250504/Michael-Owen-out-of-ToonMichael-Owen-out-of-Toon#ixzz1OAHiZD6C

So Del reckons Owen was paid £133K a week & cost the club around £1.3million a goal.

Guest firetotheworks

Ambition is what separates the good, the great and the has-beens.

You look at players like Raul (Schalke) and Van Nistelrooy (now Malaga), players who've won it and had it all, and see them still doing the business for clubs other than the ones they made their name with, and the difference is stark.

It goes for any walk of life. You can be the guy who gets 3 promotions in 3 years in a corporate job, watching the person next to you continue in the same position you were in, the one he has been holding onto for 15 years.

When things get stale, you need a change, whether good or bad, otherwise wtf is the point of life. Comfort zone = might as well be dead.

Yep. You know that Owen will have some kind of breakdown over how he's an absolute joke. The likes of Jonathan Greening and Scott Parker have won medals and felt embarrassed over it and went elsewhere to prove themselves. Owen is happy to be a grotesque character of association, like that annoying little shit on Jabba the Hut's back.

Guest WashyGeordie

“We might have been a poor team, but we made him a rich man,” said Shepherd. “It’s very disappointing to hear Michael Owen say that about Newcastle. There was nothing poor about what we paid him, more than £90,000 a week. Look at what it cost Newcastle. We paid £16million to Real Madrid for him and his wages over four years cost approximately £20m. Add on the bolt-ons such as National Insurance and Owen cost £40m over the four years he was there. “It works out at around £500,000 for every game in a Newcastle shirt. Poor? Well, he wasn’t poorer for it.”

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/250504/Michael-Owen-out-of-ToonMichael-Owen-out-of-Toon#ixzz1OAHPoYoH

So Fat Fred reckons Owen was paid over £90K  a week & cost the club around £500K a goal.

Llambias, who with new owner Mike Ashley tried to keep Owen happy, was just as disappointed.

Read more: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/250504/Michael-Owen-out-of-ToonMichael-Owen-out-of-Toon#ixzz1OAHn5hHv

“Michael is the most expensive signing Newcastle has ever made and I’m disappointed with his comments.

“Under Kevin Keegan’s management with us he was offered an extension of his contract at £140,000 a week, which he did not take. He was already on £133,000 a week.“Quite honestly, what did Newcastle United get out of it? His time here cost the club some £40m at something like £1.3m per goal.”

Read more: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/250504/Michael-Owen-out-of-ToonMichael-Owen-out-of-Toon#ixzz1OAHiZD6C

So Del reckons Owen was paid £133K a week & cost the club around £1.3million a goal.

Del still says the same as FS in regards to how much they've cost the club with £40mil.

So it's possibly just bad, bad maths, or he might of been half-asleep when they phoned him, or.. i don't know.

Guest bimpy474

Shepherd says 500k per game, Lambias says 1.3mil per goal. Both say 40million total, both are fairly close to the mark.

The figure Del comes out with £133,000 a week, is that not £90,000 + the national insurance, which Freddie described as a bolt on, i take that to mean we paid it for him.

Shepherd says 500k per game, Lambias says 1.3mil per goal. Both say 40million total, both are fairly close to the mark.

The figure Del comes out with £133,000 a week, is that not £90,000 + the national insurance, which Freddie described as a bolt on, i take that to mean we paid it for him.

£100k-ish a week, and we're paying his national insurance. Fucking hell man  :angry:

Right, I hate Owen as much as the next man and would happily punch him in the face. However:

We're the ones who were stupid / desperate to offer him the £133k per week, you can't really blame him for signing the contract. And we offered him a payrise and contract extension and he turned it down, yet we call him a greedy bastard? Tbh I think we can assume he's not on £140k per week at Man U so it makes the "Greedy bastard" shouts a little hollow.

I don't blame him for the injuries either. Shit happens, again not his fault.

What he is though is a lazy, self-serving, arrogant little prick who put zero effort in, didn't communicate with the fans despite being club captain, cared more about his fucking racehorses (that we were funding for him) and idly stood by and watched us get relegated without breaking a sweat. For that I hope all his horses go lame and his cock falls off. Let's target our insults accordingly.

Thing is though, his comments just make him look like a huge cunt, they weren't witty ot anything, they just made him come accross like a knobhead who doesn't care about playing the game anymore and shows no shame for his part in our relegation. His shortcoming in the second part of 08/09 were a huge factor in us going down. We went down by a point. He wasn't good enough to steal us an important goal when it mattered.

Guest firetotheworks

Can't believe the money is even being talked about tbh. We wouldn't have offered it if we couldn't have afforded it and it's blatant hyperbole from Llambias any way.

If the £133k a week figure is true, it is absolutely sickening. He is definitely my most hated player, I've even resorted to sending him angry tweets :angry:

Yup, the fact that I've twice tweeted him a picture of himself with a dancing cock on his forehead made me feel better about myself :lol:

Right, I hate Owen as much as the next man and would happily punch him in the face. However:

We're the ones who were stupid / desperate to offer him the £133k per week, you can't really blame him for signing the contract. And we offered him a payrise and contract extension and he turned it down, yet we call him a greedy bastard? Tbh I think we can assume he's not on £140k per week at Man U so it makes the "Greedy bastard" shouts a little hollow.

What he is though is a lazy, self-serving, arrogant little prick who put zero effort in, didn't communicate with the fans despite being club captain, cared more about his fucking racehorses (that we were funding for him) and idly stood by and watched us get relegated without breaking a sweat. For that I hope all his horses go lame and his cock falls off. Let's target our insults accordingly.

Theres no way he was offered £140,000 a week like, most managers don't get much input in players contracts, its funny how just for this one occassion KK gets to offer him a wage increase like that. I seem to remember at the time they were talking about a wage reduction on any new contract. If he was offered that money he would have signed it on the spot.

:sadnod:

Guest bimpy474

This is quick and very unscientific but £90,000 weekly + £33,000 tax paid weekly  + £12,000 NI paid weekly, all works out to £135,000 pay a week.

Used the government tax and NI calculators, rough estimates but interesting the figures are so close.

This is quick and very unscientific but £90,000 weekly + £33,000 tax paid weekly  + £12,000 NI paid weekly, all works out to £135,000 pay a week.

Used the government tax and NI calculators, rough estimates but interesting the figures are so close.

is there not a threshold where you stop paying NI ?  when your salary reaches 48k or something?

Guest bimpy474

This is quick and very unscientific but £90,000 weekly + £33,000 tax paid weekly  + £12,000 NI paid weekly, all works out to £135,000 pay a week.

is there not a threshold where you stop paying NI ?  when your salary reaches 48k or something?

I just entered the figures at 90,000 a week and it came back with 12,000, i'll try it on 48,000 and see what happens ;)

Guest bimpy474

Well the government won't have made much from the £12k per week NI. Would barely cover that c***'s medical bills.

We paid those, the feckin midget cripple :(

Guest bimpy474

Could find any info on an cap of 48k, 6k NI on that.

I just don't get how we've all been lead to believe he was on £110,000 a week, then I'm fairly certain that Fat Fred done an interview for the Sunday Sun slating Owen before the Man U home match and he said himself Owen was on the wages we thought, yet Llambias comes out with this huge figure out of nowhere. The fact that Llambias is basically slating Owen's record and wages, then saying they offered him a wage increase (with the KK dig) doesnt add up. Don't believe him.

First off, nobody in the world would suggest a manager has any sway over deciding a wage offer, and not a chance in hell that would happen under this lot.

As such, it is not a dig at Keegan.

Secondly, it seems fairly plausible they sat down with Owen to get an extension in place with a slight increase for him until effectively the end of the season, when he could go, and we could expect some cash for him in return rather than lose him on a free.

Someone needs to explain to Michael that he was the captain of that poor team he is complaining about. One might also mention that his lack of leadership was one of the primary reasons that a team too talented to go down, did go down.  Howay Kevin Nolan.