Michael Owen (now retired)

Keefaz

One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?  

648 members have voted

1. 1. One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?

• I envy the deaf.

I can’t believe this my first post!!!!! , but if two goals are worth two medals how much would have two goals been worth against villa been....  I still think he’s an odious cretin btw...

I can’t believe this my first post!!!!! , but if two goals are worth two medals how much would have two goals been worth against villa been....  I still think he’s an odious cretin btw...

Taken you about 4 years to post I see, welcome!

he moved to us because we could offer him the first team football Real couldn't in the run up to the World Cup. I dare say the £133k a week didn't harm either like. 

the world cup was probably the most deciding factor if you ask me, the wages a nice bonus.

Maybe he thought he could preform for a year here then move on to one of the title challengers after a successful world cup, I seem to recall rumours of a release clause at the time

We were just a means to an end for him. He was only ever interested in playing for England and Sven made it clear he would only be selected if he was playing/starting regularly. We were his only option at the time.

Not entirely true. We made an offer for him, too, but a lower one. Owen didn't have the balls to push Real to sell to us because he was too afraid they'd leave him on the bench for another season and he'd miss the World Cup. He wanted to come back to LFC again after NUFC, but Rafa wasn't interested.

Owen's problems stem from the fact that he has neither heart nor guts. He's always done all his thinking with his not-cunning-enough head, which is why he's never understood or been popular with fans.

Guest ItalianMagpie

Anybody who actually watched NUFC's matches for the tail end of Owen's career here will tell you Owen is not a good finisher. Maybe he was 7-8 years ago, but for whatever reason, he certainly isn't now.

He was floundering about missing chances in a f***ing testimonial match the other day, man.

This.

I saw him missing so many f***ing chances that I soon stopped believing that he was this great scoring machine he was supposed to be. He did absolutely nothing throughout the entire game, at least you expect from this kind of lazy cunts (such as Romario, for example) that if they have a chance they scores 99% of the times. Unfortunately (and unlike Romario) he missed it, 99% of the times...

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/250504/Michael-Owen-out-of-Toon

Wonder who is telling the truth in this article.  Shepherd says we were paying him £90k a week whilst Llambias claims it was £133k a week.  Owen's salary was usually always quoted around £100k. 

while they're both nincompoops, i'd be more likely to believe shepherd. the fact that Llambias chose to preface the amount of pay with 'under kevin keegans management' should tell you all you need to know

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/250504/Michael-Owen-out-of-Toon

Wonder who is telling the truth in this article.  Shepherd says we were paying him £90k a week whilst Llambias claims it was £133k a week.  Owen's salary was usually always quoted around £100k. 

while they're both nincompoops, i'd be more likely to believe shepherd. the fact that Llambias chose to preface the amount of pay with 'under kevin keegans management' should tell you all you need to know

Well Llambias has yet again broken the 11th commandment and criticised Keegan, but it's interesting to note Keegan's comments on the Owen situation from March 2008 -

“I’ve already started to say to the club that we should be talking to Michael now; not next week, not next month, but now,” Keegan said after Saturday’s 2-0 victory over Fulham – his first since replacing Sam Allardyce – in which Owen scored. The 28-year-old has mustered four goals in his past seven games for Newcastle, emerging as an increasingly influential figure.

Supporters have not always found it easy to adore their record signing since his £16 million arrival from Real Madrid in 2005, but suspicions about his loyalty and frustration with his injuries have dimmed in recent weeks. Appointed captain by Keegan, the striker, who earns £115,000 a week, has demonstrated his commitment with fine, gritty performances against Birmingham City and Fulham.

“Whatever finances are here, I don’t think we could go out and get a player that’s any better than Owen,” Keegan said. “That’s the reason I think we should keep him and, as long as he doesn’t get injured again, Newcastle fans will see a player who’ll grow into one of the greats here.

“I don’t see why we should be looking all over the world for foreign players and trying to teach them how to play in the Premier League when we’ve got one who knows his way around and whose goalscoring record is tremendous. So I’ll do everything I can to keep him, but at the end of the day, it’ll be Michael’s decision.

“The time to talk with him is now and that’s what I’ll be urging the chairman [Chris Mort] and Lee Charnley [the football secretary] to do. There hasn’t been a reaction yet because I only mentioned it last week, but I could see this coming. Michael’s not going to stop scoring goals, he’s not going to stop catching the eye and he is going to be wanted by other clubs.”

Sven-Göran Eriksson, the Manchester City manager, is a long-time admirer of Owen, who has scored 13 league goals in 30 starts for Newcastle. “Michael is vitally important to the club at the moment and, hopefully, for the future, too,” Keegan said. “He’s a great player. He has been both a general and a soldier for us since I’ve been here and you’re seeing him now absolutely at his peak after his injury. He contributes both on and off the field. In a quiet, reserved way, he’s a major influence around the club.”

Keegan did manage to make a great player out of Owen, it's true. Damn good manager...

Absolutely. I wont forget the last part of that season under KK (or any of his others for that matter). We looked really really decent in that 4-3-3 he had us playing in.. that bloke is still right up there for me like  :thup: :thup:

So he was a great player until Keegan left, at which point his form dipped to such an extent that not even Ferguson and Man U have been able to revive it.

Bullshit. He'd lost his pace and his decline was there for all to see. Either Keegan failed to spot it, or Owen became a pawn in the power battle between him and Wise. I suspect a mixture of both.

Guest Flatline

Gradually lost his pace, and with it his confidence... not that big of a fucking mystery...

Beyond that, I remember thinking at the time (and twitter makes it even more obvious to me that he was right...) that Keegan was trying to make Owen feel loved and important with a view to re-inspiring him and making him play better for the club's sake, regardless of how true what he was saying was. In hindsight I also wonder whether he was trying to inspire Ashley with that kind of talk and move him away from the bargain bucket approach (not that it hasn't always done us a favour... but then Keegan was never against spotting a bargain, either).

Edit: Enough of this Keegan talk... back to slagging off the odious little crybaby. To head off any jibes, that's Owen, Cronk... :D