Michael Owen (now retired)

Keefaz

One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?  

648 members have voted

1. 1. One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?

• I envy the deaf.

Was he ever really close mates with Big Al? Seemed to think he was, and after Shearer and he fell out during the relegation run-in I just assumed the two probably don't get on anymore. Assume that Shearer felt let down by someone he rated and thought was a friend etc.

Was absolutely mental when we signed him thinking he and Big Al up top would be marvelous. Glad to see him retire as there were so many what-ifs with him and what I thought he could have been for us. Those boos are fucking epic and I love hearing it everytime. :thup:

Can't think of a player I thought so highly of before, and ended up such a shitstain on the history of NUFC. I don't want the bastard to retire. I want him to come back to St James' Park and suffer the humiliation of a second booing, the like of which we've never heard before. Little fucking cunt.

Those insufferable twats on Sunday Supplement were on about him before there, repeating the bollocks about us not being happy about the workshy prick deserting us in our hour of need, and sympathising with the deluded weasel's need to set the record straight.

Wouldn't have even mentioned it, but they later went on to slap each other's backs for being proper journalists who know the truth, in these days of citizen journalism from the man in the pub who doesn't know anything. I mean, how hard would it be to ask some Newcastle fans instead of taking the word of someone with no chance of being objective at all? Would that not be the minimum you would do before going on national TV and pontificating, surely fully aware that you have no knowledge of the subject? There really is no satisfactory explanation for this behaviour.

Did we even claim to offer him a new contract the summer he left?

I certainly wasn't desperate for him to stay.

I seem to recall that the club said there was a contract offer on the table.

However, Owen and the media are rewriting history here. 

Was anyone really upset that he left at the end of that season?  By that time, he had already burned his bridges with the fans.  Certainly for the second half of the season from my POV, he stopped putting in any effort as he had already decided that he would leaving on a free.  It was all about self-preservation and making sure he did not get injured hence him pulling out of challenges and missing so many one on one chances.  It is very telling that Shearer after trumpeting him as a reason why we would escape relegation ended up dropping him.  If Owen wasn't going to give his utmost for a supposedly good friend, then he obviously didn't care one bit.  As a captain and therefore someone you would expect to set an example to his teammates, he was a disgrace.

Surely everyone was glad to see the back of him and even the most deluded fan would have realised that there is no way we could have afforded him in the Championship.

The reason why fans resent Michael Owen has absolutely nothing to so with him leaving at the end of the season and not staying to help us win promotion.  We managed that quite well without him (infact I think his continued presence would have been resented by the other players and the infamous team spirit may well not have happened).  It is all to so with his attitude and performances in that season being one of the main contributions to our relegation.

Guest firetotheworks

Behind the scenes means absolutely fuck all when our problem with him is about him as a player, captain and a person.

Was anyone really upset that he left at the end of that season?  By that time, he had already burned his bridges with the fans.  Certainly for the second half of the season from my POV, he stopped putting in any effort as he had already decided that he would leaving on a free.  It was all about self-preservation and making sure he did not get injured hence him pulling out of challenges and missing so many one on one chances.  It is very telling that Shearer after trumpeting him as a reason why we would escape relegation ended up dropping him.  If Owen wasn't going to give his utmost for a supposedly good friend, then he obviously didn't care one bit.  As a captain and therefore someone you would expect to set an example to his teammates, he was a disgrace.

Surely everyone was glad to see the back of him and even the most deluded fan would have realised that there is no way we could have afforded him in the Championship.

The reason why fans resent Michael Owen has absolutely nothing to so with him leaving at the end of the season and not staying to help us win promotion.  We managed that quite well without him (infact I think his continued presence would have been resented by the other players and the infamous team spirit may well not have happened).  It is all to so with his attitude and performances in that season being one of the main contributions to our relegation.

This

This

Not forgetting that his priority over the course of 4 years appeared to be being fit and playing well for England, rather than the club paying him £100k a week.  There was apparently the same perception of him at Liverpool, it was the first thing a few Liverpool fans said to me when he signed.  Him getting injured at that tournament when he wasn't fully fit was the icing on the cake.

Utterly bizarre and I can't think of any other player who carries on like that these days.

This

Not forgetting that his priority over the course of 4 years appeared to be being fit and playing well for England, rather than the club paying him £100k a week.  There was apparently the same perception of him at Liverpool, it was the first thing a few Liverpool fans said to me when he signed.  Him getting injured at that tournament when he wasn't fully fit was the icing on the cake.

Utterly bizarre and I can't think of any other player who carries on like that these days.

A player I remember a lot more fondly did it, Craig Bellamy.

Guest VanBarduck

Injury blighted his career and it was a horrific injury he suffered. Losing a hamstring would put any player back. The lad played on, was rewarded well, but lost the spark he had.

Just hope that doesn't happened to hatem.

:lol: What's the weird little c*** saying now then?

michael owen michael owen ‏@themichaelowen 17m

I just didn't want the fans to think I had deserted the club after relegation. I didn't.

michael owen michael owen ‏@themichaelowen 18m

Newcastle did make me an offer to extend in 2008 when Joe Kinnear was manager. Apologies to the club if there has been any confusion.

michael owen michael owen ‏@themichaelowen 19m

Just to clarify. My tweet yesterday referred to no contract offer after Newcastle relegation. Which I said was understandable.