Michael Owen (now retired)

Keefaz

One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?  

648 members have voted

1. 1. One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?

• I envy the deaf.

Always somebody else's fault that he didn't score in his last 12 games. Martins, AC and even Lovenkrands managed to get a few in that time. Twas only he that struggled.

That one on one chance in the Portsmouth game - he should have scored there, after all it was "in a position where Michael Owen always scores from." :angry:

Always somebody else's fault that he didn't score in his last 12 games. Martins, AC and even Lovenkrands managed to get a few in that time. Twas only he that struggled.

That one on one chance in the Portsmouth game - he should have scored there, after all it was "in a position where Michael Owen always scores from." :angry:

Wasn't that The Afro Save from David James?

Wasn't that The Afro Save from David James?

Nah, it was the one at St. James' in our relegation season.

Well the government won't have made much from the £12k per week NI. Would barely cover that c***'s medical bills.

We paid those, the feckin midget cripple :(

Aye, but since we were paying that much NI we should have sent the fucker down the RVI and made him sit and wait in A&E with everyone else.

after all it was "in a position where Michael Owen always scores from." :angry:

Wish he did play somewhere regularly; would love to see those one on ones where he puts himself to the left of the goal opens his body and tries to side foot EVERY SINGLE TIME and misses.

Right, I hate Owen as much as the next man and would happily punch him in the face. However:

We're the ones who were stupid / desperate to offer him the £133k per week, you can't really blame him for signing the contract. And we offered him a payrise and contract extension and he turned it down, yet we call him a greedy bastard? Tbh I think we can assume he's not on £140k per week at Man U so it makes the "Greedy bastard" shouts a little hollow.

I don't blame him for the injuries either. Shit happens, again not his fault.

What he is though is a lazy, self-serving, arrogant little prick who put zero effort in, didn't communicate with the fans despite being club captain, cared more about his fucking racehorses (that we were funding for him) and idly stood by and watched us get relegated without breaking a sweat. For that I hope all his horses go lame and his cock falls off. Let's target our insults accordingly.

Surely there'd have been no way that sort of wage could have been sustained in the Championship though? I would have thought that wage increase/contract was on the basis that we stayed up.

Very strong possibility he'd have signed had we stayed up that year IMO. As far as I'm aware he didn't "turn the offer down" until the season ended, by which time I doubt the offer was there.

Right, I hate Owen as much as the next man and would happily punch him in the face. However:

We're the ones who were stupid / desperate to offer him the £133k per week, you can't really blame him for signing the contract. And we offered him a payrise and contract extension and he turned it down, yet we call him a greedy bastard? Tbh I think we can assume he's not on £140k per week at Man U so it makes the "Greedy bastard" shouts a little hollow.

I don't blame him for the injuries either. Shit happens, again not his fault.

What he is though is a lazy, self-serving, arrogant little prick who put zero effort in, didn't communicate with the fans despite being club captain, cared more about his fucking racehorses (that we were funding for him) and idly stood by and watched us get relegated without breaking a sweat. For that I hope all his horses go lame and his cock falls off. Let's target our insults accordingly.

Fair point, the thing I dislike about him is mainly that he doesn't care about football. The idea that he'd rather sit on the bench every week than go somewhere where he could play is bizarre to me.

Guest neesy111

To this Owen is an excellent finisher stuff.

I've never seen anyone miss more 1 on 1's than Owen during his last 2 seasons.  He get's himself into good positions to score quite often, but he misses quite a good number of chances.

Guest neesy111

Does that make him a poor finisher?

If I had to throw a general descriptor at Owen's finishing capabilities I'd say good to excellent.

1 on 1's are imo all about the finish as you only have the keeper to beat.  He's much better when he hasn't the time to think and just take's his chance.  i.e.  Reading at home springs to mind.

Owen was a one-on-one away from becoming a hero and keeping us in the PL.

He's not the 'great reliable finisher' that those in the sport claim him to be.

Guest neesy111

Owen was a one-on-one away from becoming a hero and keeping us in the PL.

He's not the 'great reliable finisher' that those in the sport claim him to be.

I'll always remember that Blackburn game under Keegan when he missed 5-6 good chances.

I hope they aren't setting the bar that high to be classified as being a 'great reliable finisher'.

I don't enjoy debating the merits and demerits of Owen on this forum, every single argument is clouded with hatred.

Guest neesy111

So Llambias has confirmed that owen was on 133k a week at NUFC.  Really do wonder what certain players under the Shepherd era were paid.

So Llambias has confirmed that owen was on 133k a week at NUFC.  Really do wonder what certain players under the Shepherd era were paid.

He was offered a year extension as well at £140k, but didn't take it.

Crazy stuff.