Mark Hughes

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think Hughes is a decent manager, but Hughton has earned the job and I wouldn't look to replace him unless things start to go belly-up. If he achieves promotion, he should get the chance to move things forward.

It's important that everyone at the club gets the message that if you do your job well, you get rewarded.

I think Hughes is a decent manager, but Hughton has earned the job and I wouldn't look to replace him unless things start to go belly-up. If he achieves promotion, he should get the chance to move things forward.

It's important that everyone at the club gets the message that if you do your job well, you get rewarded.

This.

This.

agree... iyam

I see the point there... but if we went up under Hughton and a manager of Mark Hughes' calibre expressed an interest in the job - it'd be a huge mistake not to bring him in. Aye he hasn't broken records anywhere yet, but he's a proven manager in this league and some would say a very good one at that. A far greater catch for incoming players, too. Aye it would potentially upset some of the harmony in the dressing room, but the majority in this squad shouldn't be regarded as key players next season if we go up anyway. The whole point of getting promotion would be to rebuild; start again.

I totally understand what you're saying, but football is different to your average workplace. We've made these sort of mistakes before and it's cost us.

Guest iliketoonarmy

I'd like to ask the 48 ppl who voted no two things:

- do you think that hughton is a better manager than hughes?

- if not, who would you want as manager? do you think shearer is a better manager? or are you still dreaming of hitzfeld/van gaal/mourinho/etc?

1) No

2) Not Hughes. No. No, I am just dreaming of getting rid of that fat c*** MA.

My third question goes here: Why on earth do you want Mark Hughes as your manager in the club. You don't have to, simply because you don't have to. He's not the only human on earth mate.

No. It might be easy to forget, buy Sparky's Blackburn were a right bunch of dirty bastards, for a good few years at least initially. Their entire gameplan was to kick lumps out of the opposition, and at one point they had a reputation of being a team that set out to injure players. Simply don't see the benefit of having someone here who had to resort to that style of play, as chances are we'd see a repeat of those tactics given our squad and the financial limitations we'll be operating under.

And even if we did have money to spend, the failure at City isn't exactly a good indication that he's the right man to spend it. Even if it's agreed that he wasn't given enough time there, as all of his mates in the media have told us repeatedly (despite there being little overall tactical or organisational improvement since the Robinho signing in Sept 2008), assuming Ashley or a new owner did release a good amount of cash for our Premiership survival bid, it'd still be peanuts compared to Man City, and if he can't get immediate improvements with the squad he had at City then he's hardly likely to do much of a rebuilding job here where we'll need immediate improvement to avoid slipping into another relegation dogfight this time next year (assuming promotion of course).

I see the point there... but if we went up under Hughton and a manager of Mark Hughes' calibre expressed an interest in the job - it'd be a huge mistake not to bring him in. Aye he hasn't broken records anywhere yet, but he's a proven manager in this league and some would say a very good one at that. A far greater catch for incoming players, too. Aye it would potentially upset some of the harmony in the dressing room, but the majority in this squad shouldn't be regarded as key players next season if we go up anyway. The whole point of getting promotion would be to rebuild; start again.

I totally understand what you're saying, but football is different to your average workplace. We've made these sort of mistakes before and it's cost us.

I've got some doubts about the long-term consequences of coaches becoming managers, but the decision about whether to replace Hughton is different from a kind of theoretical discussion about whether manager X, Y or Z is a 'better' manager than him.

For the first time in many years, we have a Chairman and Manager working together, a Manager working well with the team, and a united dressing room. I'd be very wary of upsetting that applecart, because we're going to need it if and when we go up. Even with some new players coming in, we're going to be one of the bottom half of the table strugglers, and we can't afford too much disruption.

One thing I like about Hughton is he's always given the message that it's a privilege and great opportunity for him to manage the club. We need to attract players who are going to feel the same way.

I've got some doubts about the long-term consequences of coaches becoming managers, but the decision about whether to replace Hughton is different from a kind of theoretical discussion about whether manager X, Y or Z is a 'better' manager than him.

For the first time in many years, we have a Chairman and Manager working together, a Manager working well with the team, and a united dressing room. I'd be very wary of upsetting that applecart, because we're going to need it if and when we go up. Even with some new players coming in, we're going to be one of the bottom half of the table strugglers, and we can't afford too much disruption.

One thing I like about Hughton is he's always given the message that it's a privilege and great opportunity for him to manage the club. We need to attract players who are going to feel the same way.

Most of our managers say that though.

Yes, who the f*** voted no?

Me for one.

Why do YOU think he's any good ?

Did a fantastic job at Blackburn on a tiny budget and actually had them playing very exciting football by the end (although admittedly they went through a phase of just kicking lumps out of people). Seemed to have a cracking eye for a player there too, Nelsen, Samba. Bentley, Warnock, Bellamy, McCarthy, Pedersen and Santa Cruz were all superb signings for the money he payed. It hasn't worked out at City for many reasons but we'll be a hell of a lot more like Blackburn were than City are if we go up.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Its an absolutely impossible situation. I am 90% sure Hughton is going to get us up this year, while at the same time being 90% sure he will be sacked by November when we are in the bottom 3 of the Premiership.

He deserves his shot, of that there is no doubt, but the owners need to start putting the feelers out early doors in Aug/Sept should the inevitable happen. Obviously this requires forward planning so i am not holding my breath

I really am worried about the prospect of going into the premiership with Hughton. If Hughes is still availible in November, which i doubt he will be, i would definately take him, especially with such a point to prove!

'Saying' something and 'giving the message' aren't quite the same thing. Hughton's words rang true for me because they were backed up by his actions and his attitude.

We've recently had a manager who quit after the transfer window had ended, when he was over-ruled over a loan signing, and then tried to take the club for £25 million after 5 months work. Another one would only take the job if his terms and conditions were met, despite the fact that his record while in charge was dire. These guys might have made all the right noises and been heroes in most people's eyes, but they were giving the message that it was some great privilege for the club to have them as a manager, rather than the other way round.

'Saying' something and 'giving the message' aren't quite the same thing. Hughton's words rang true for me because they were backed up by his actions and his attitude.

We've recently had a manager who quit after the transfer window had ended, when he was over-ruled over a loan signing, and then tried to take the club for £25 million after 5 months work. Another one would only take the job if his terms and conditions were met, despite the fact that his record while in charge was dire. These guys might have made all the right noises and been heroes in most people's eyes, but they were giving the message that it was some great privilege for the club to have them as a manager, rather than the other way round.

The quote in my signature suggests otherwise.

The quote in my signature suggests otherwise.

Well, like I said, he made the right noises.

How was Hughton's record in the prem?

i keep reading a lot that hughton will be gone pretty early next season if we get promoted and he starts badly. why do people think this is necessarily the case?

I don't think it is necessarily the case, though it's a likely outcome. If we get promoted and start badly, he might also be given time. And if we get promoted, we might also start well.

We need to get away from the gloomy habit of treating every worst-case scenario as if it's a nailed-on certainty. Look at this season so far. Much better than most expected, no?

Me for one.

You wouldn't want Hughes because he's no good?

Jesus H Christ f***ing wept.

You think he's top notch do you ?

Explain why please, instead of mouthing off.

Which isn't exactly telling us WHY he's any good.

I don't rate him, and you throw a wobbler ?

Why don't you dump YOUR manager and go for him then ?

I can't see why anyone would want Hughes - he's achieved very very little TBH even with shed loads of cash...............

I could see Moyes and definitely O'Neill failing at City aswell, I would take both of those in a heartbeat though!

Me for one.

Absolutely stellar reasoning.  :idiot2:

Didn't say he's top notch - I think he did a good job at Blackburn, making them one of the better sides in the league, and he's done pretty decently at Man City if you ask me, and it was a ridiculous decision to get rid of him. I could vaguely understand wanting to stick with Hughton for the sake of "stability", but you're seriously telling me you'd not want him at Newcastle if he was available and interested, because he's not very good?

Me for one.

Absolutely stellar reasoning.  :idiot2:

Didn't say he's top notch - I think he did a good job at Blackburn, making them one of the better sides in the league, and he's done pretty decently at Man City if you ask me, and it was a ridiculous decision to get rid of him. I could vaguely understand wanting to stick with Hughton for the sake of "stability", but you're seriously telling me you'd not want him at Newcastle if he was available and interested, because he's not very good?

I don't think it was. In one game Mancini's tactics have already been better than anything Hughes has done. Simply by picking players in their natural positions to actually have some balance to the team.