Alan Shearer

Weznufc

• 4 weeks later...
Guest firetotheworks

Absolute dominance. Saying that, I'd love to see one that's for the top flight and not just the PL.

Senior career*

Years Team Apps (Gls)

1957–1961 Chelsea 157 (124)

1961 A.C. Milan 12 (9)

1961–1970 Tottenham Hotspur 321 (220)

1970–1971 West Ham United 38 (13)

1975–1976 Brentwood

1976–1977 Chelmsford City 38[2] (20)

1977–1979 Barnet

1979–1980 Woodford Town

Total 566 (386)

National team

1957–1962[3] England U23 12 (13)

1959–1967[4] England 57 (44)

Jimmy's record is pretty stunning by any comparison! Always thought he was under rated and certainly Sir Alf didn't think he'd fit his England style.

Guest Howaythetoon

Loving these, what a machine Shearer was, so consistent. It’s hard to imagine anyone breaking his record surely both for Newcastle and the Premier League?

I’m not being biased when I say this: I’ve yet to see a better more complete and rounded goal scoring centre-forward combined than Shearer in my time following football. A player who in his prime was the best pound for pound striker and most able finisher in the world at that time for my money.

An elite all in one centre-forward and goalscorer the type of which there have not been too many much better than him past or present in the history of British football and indeed world football and we won’t see too many more much better than him either. He was that good, right up there with the all-time great centre-forwards of world football IMO.

Guest reefatoon

Joy to watch those goals again. Seeing so many headed goals reminds me just how good he was with his head. Plus the aggression/desire to get there. You can't coach that.

He was unreal in the air, and for a bloke under 6ft he completely dominated defenders. An absolute beast and legend.

Guest Howaythetoon

Shearer in his prime was much more than a centre-forward and goalscorer, he was a very good footballer and underrated in many ways. At least his football abilities were anyway, rated and noted higher for his heading ability, goalscoring instincts and his powerful shooting.

The quintessential English centre-forward, a consensus carried by journos, pundits, managers and MOTD highlights analysis.

Who cares if he can play, stick him in the box, whip crosses in, bang... GOAL!

If it hadn’t of been for World Soccer which I ditched the almost comic like top of the pops Shoot and Match for along with other magazines I’d subscribe to in my quest for knowledge and insight, I would have thought of Shearer in the same way so many did in England early on.

Outside of England though, he was thought of just as highly for his football abilities as much as his goalscoring which I’ll never forget an issue of World Soccer going into great detail in their build-up coverage to Euro 96, England and in particular Alan Shearer.

A striker they thought of as more European than English, more modern than traditional, someone more than just a goalscorer, a target man in a 4-4-2 for wingers to find with crosses.

They ran the rule over England and the likely squad for Euro 96 in great depth. Of particular interest to me was their take on Sir Les fresh from a 25 goal season with us and Andy Cole, who he replaced as our number 9. They rated Cole higher than Ferdinand as a player, but didn’t think he could play with Shearer to great effect in the way they thought Sir Les could, who they considered a totally different player to Shearer.

A few months later I was lead to believe they were too similar and couldn’t play together!

Either World Soccer had a crystal ball or they knew their stuff.

They also called it right on Shearer and Sheringham partnering each other, their pick of any potential partnership combinations.

Can anyone remember calls for Shearer to be dropped because he hadn’t scored for a number of games in an England shirt leading upto Euro 96? Sections of the media arguing he’s no use if he’s not scoring?

Venables of course valued Shearer’s all-round game just as much as his goalscoring talents, which he combined together better than anyone else could, even if others were capable.

He was the complete centre-forward and the only truly genuine world-class better than all other centre-forwards in his prime striker we’ve had during, after and since then. As good as Kane is and Rooney was, prime Shearer would rule again if he played today. Imagine him up front for City or Liverpool? England today even? I don’t think anyone other than the likes of Messi and Ronaldo would outscore him. He’d be hitting the crazy tallies they hit IMO.

Guest firetotheworks

Mad how you just don't hear all that much talk about Jimmy Greaves and I don't know why.

Because football didn't exist before 1992 (for many)

I know what you mean, but there are still plenty of pre-Premier League players that get talked about all the time. Jimmy Greaves in particular seems to not get mentioned that much though.

Mad how you just don't hear all that much talk about Jimmy Greaves and I don't know why.

Because football didn't exist before 1992 (for many)

I know what you mean, but there are still plenty of pre-Premier League players that get talked about all the time. Jimmy Greaves in particular seems to not get mentioned that much though.

He will soon enough i reckon.

• 3 weeks later...