Alan Shearer

Weznufc

Mad how you just don't hear all that much talk about Jimmy Greaves and I don't know why.

Because football didn't exist before 1992 (for many)

I know what you mean, but there are still plenty of pre-Premier League players that get talked about all the time. Jimmy Greaves in particular seems to not get mentioned that much though.

He will soon enough i reckon.

There’s loads.

Dean, Greaves, Gallagher etc. I love looking at the history side of football. Got loads of cigarette cards from 1895 through to war time. Love looking at them. Unfortunately the sky thing has taken a lot of that stuff away which is why some people won’t think pre-92.

I remember being in Turin for the CL game in 2002 I think. Ended up drinking with some Juve fans and they were so excited to see Shearer play, similar in Milan too.

Mad how you just don't hear all that much talk about Jimmy Greaves and I don't know why.

Because football didn't exist before 1992 (for many)

I know what you mean, but there are still plenty of pre-Premier League players that get talked about all the time. Jimmy Greaves in particular seems to not get mentioned that much though.

He will soon enough i reckon.

There’s loads.

Dean, Greaves, Gallagher etc. I love looking at the history side of football. Got loads of cigarette cards from 1895 through to war time. Love looking at them. Unfortunately the sky thing has taken a lot of that stuff away which is why some people won’t think pre-92.

I remember being in Turin for the CL game in 2002 I think. Ended up drinking with some Juvenile fans and they were so excited to see Shearer play, similar in Milan too.

I think Sky have been the best and worst thing to happen to our football, as you said football seems forgotten before they showed up.

Guest firetotheworks

Kane's the only player I can see with time, likelihood of being in the PL, and easy numbers on his side there.

Kane will definitely do it. But I wouldn't be surprised to see Lukaku do it, also. He's a 15 goal a season player, if he can stay fit and get the games he'll do it. He has the potential to be as good as Rondon.

Also, Rashford is young enough as to make you think he hasn't quite peaked yet. 2-3 20 goal seasons will bring his target down.

Only thing stopping Kane or Rashford is either a career-changing injury or a transfer to Real, Barca, PSG or etc. Shearer was such  great player that he still was averaging a lot of goals per season even after that horrific injury he had at Everton.

I hope none of them break it. That entire list contains little divers or players playing in mega buck teams/b].

Shearer did for the first 4-5 years of the PL both here & Blackburn. I remember even in 1999/2000 we had the most expensively assembled squad in the league.

rashford :lol:

Edited when I looked at it again. Still more likely than the others.

thought it was a bit odd to put him in that company given he's got 10% of the required total, but in terms of potential i suppose it's there in a long distant future

kane will obvs come closest but he also suffers from a lot of niggling injuries that are unlikely to improve with age

Guest Howaythetoon

I’d back Augero to do it, but he’d have to leave City for another PL club who would have to ask less off him off the ball, but create enough for him to get lots of goals. I can’t see the others doing it, Kane included. I think Shearer personally would be happy if Augero did it as he rates him the best foreign player to have played in the PL.

No one rates Sterling's chances? If he stays in England there's every chance he can score heavily enough to make it. I don't know the stats, but it seems he's been scoring loads more this season and he just seems to get better and better.

I’d back Augero to do it, but he’d have to leave City for another PL club who would have to ask less off him off the ball, but create enough for him to get lots of goals. I can’t see the others doing it, Kane included. I think Shearer personally would be happy if Augero did it as he rates him the best foreign player to have played in the PL.

He seems the sort that would go back to Spain or Argentina to wind down. Kane needs an average of 20 over 7 seasons, given there’ll be years he gets mid 20s to 30 a season then he’ll break it unless he moves abroad or gets a serious run of injuries.

Guest firetotheworks

No one rates Sterling's chances? If he stays in England there's every chance he can score heavily enough to make it. I don't know the stats, but it seems he's been scoring loads more this season and he just seems to get better and better.

I'm not sure whether the goals would continue when he's older and I think it relies upon Man City staying this attacking.

i also don't think kane will continue at a great rate if spurs go to shit if/when poch leaves...none of which might happen of course but that's the most remarkable thing about shearer's record - that he scored what he did after coming to us and playing in absolute shite teams for years on end