Jermaine Beckford signs for Everton. Yey!

Stifler
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I didn't see the whole game on Sunday, but Beckford was a bit better than I was expecting. He played with a fair bit of intelligence, and was always involved. He was able to hold the ball up and get a few free kicks. He's not just a finisher.

For £2 million, I'm just wondering what the catch is.

Smith is twice the player Butt is.

With the exception of Shola I don't have any real faith in those strikers to score, we easily need another.

Trouble with this of course is that Smith is way below the required standard for a consistent premiership midfielder.

Makes it even more worrying how much Butt got selected last season.

With the exception of Shola I don't have any real faith in those strikers to score, we easily need another.

Agreed that Smith is better than Butt, never said they were of the same level, just that they are both crap when it comes to getting the midfield moving forward.

Of course if we can have a striker and a good midfielder, then by all means, but in reality with Mike, we'll either get one or the other and in which case, I'd go for a central midfielder.

I didn't see the whole game on Sunday, but Beckford was a bit better than I was expecting. He played with a fair bit of intelligence, and was always involved. He was able to hold the ball up and get a few free kicks. He's not just a finisher.

For £2 million, I'm just wondering what the catch is.

If he had longer to run on his contract at Leeds it would be a lot more than £2 million.

He pretty much guarantees leeds promotion.

They might decide making sure they get promoted is worth more than losing out on the 1-2 mill theyd get now & just let his contract run out anyway. Unless we put in a substantial offer atleast, thats the kind of noises their managers making anyway.

owen

Owen's positioning and movement are outstanding ?

For some reasons he is not scoring now but he used to be an outstanding finisher with great composure.

but now he hasn't been delivering anything for the last ten thousand years and is nothing special.

i agree with those saying that our priority should be a midfielder, we've needed one of those who can pass a bit since emre, and he was never fit. but you only have to look at the derby game to see we're crying out for someone who can put the ball in the fucking net.

fwiw, ranger and beckford imo. movement, height, pace, strength, and at least one of them can finish.

Guest Stephen927

You would hope with Barton in the midfield the chances would be there for our strikers, but since he has joined performances from him haven't materialised and before long he's back in the injury room.

The majority of the midfield is rotten to the core. There are no wingers at the club who can whip a good ball into the box and no central midfielders at the club with decent enough fitness who can look a menace in the oppositions half. Defensively, we are okay in midfield with Smith anchoring, at this level.

Therefore we could have Cristiano Ronaldo up front and he'd struggle to get 20 goals a season.

not based on performances.

Smith uses the ball much more intelligently and he's far stronger in the air.

not based on performances.

Smith uses the ball much more intelligently and he's far stronger in the air.

And tends to hold his position a lot more, and not try the hollywood ball 99% of the time, and wins tackles, and doesn't attempt random bicycle kicks, and actually plays quite well etc etc.

Useful for a striker  :rolleyes:

Should be obvious that I am not talking about the scoring, when I said top scoring Championship strikers don't typically succeed in the Premiership ?

Your talking about Beckford not having an outstanding quality to succeed in the premiership, except for scoring. Hes a striker , therefore the fact he scores more goals than the average in the division suggests hes playing at a level beneath him, therefore scoring goals is exactly the attribute he needs. Your statement is nonsense hence the need for me to highlight it. Unless your suggesting that a striker who has amazing pace, excellent in the air, can cross a ball and hold up play but cant score in league one is better placed to succeed in the premiership? In which case your a tit.

Thats all, as you were  :rolleyes:

After a bit more thought on this, I'd recommend getting neither. Beckford doesn't look any betetr than what we currently have and Boyd I've never really seen play - but he cannot exactly be amazing if he only plays for Rangers and there appears to be very little Premiership interest in him.

After a bit more thought on this, I'd recommend getting neither. Beckford doesn't look any betetr than what we currently have and Boyd I've never really seen play - but he cannot exactly be amazing if he only plays for Rangers and there appears to be very little Premiership interest in him.

i know, same goes for that guy, errr, what was his name, Larrson or something like that.....

Guest BooBoo

Judging by Hughtons "he's one of several players we're looking at and we have other irons on the fire" comments in today's Chronicle, it wouldn't surprise me if we were already baulking at the asking fee, no doubt inflated by a million after yesterdays goal and headlines.

Cant see any of our current strikers scoring that goal yesterday atall.

Guest Stephen927

We may well find ourselves in a position whereby we are forced to pursue Boyd over Beckford. Would prefer Beckford over Boyd but the thought of either of them playing up front for NUFC in the Premiership leaves me underwhelmed.