Jermaine Beckford signs for Everton. Yey!

Stifler
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

We're not into giving chances, it's a football club, not Jim'll Fix It.

:clap:

So we didn't give Andy Cole a chance after he had bombed at Arsenal, and by all accounts had a shit attitude at Bristol City?

No we signed him because he was free scoring in the same division as us and the manager thought he had it in him to score goals for us there and at a higher level. He wasn't 26 years old either.

We didn't "give him a chance". If it's all about giving people chances, why don't we nip down the local orphanage and pick up a few free transfers?

I love this talk that Beckford is a risk at more than £1.5m because he might not score goals in the premier. If you want a risk free investment in a striker who will score goals in the premier start talking £10m plus then.

No doubt Ashley will gladly pay 80k a week to this diamond std striker as well.

LA LA LA LA LA LA  :cheesy: :cheesy:

I have not seen Beckford play more than once, however, it seems reading posts on here that he needs chances. 

Having seen most of our games this season, we are definately NOT the right side for someone that needs this many chances.  We have been winning by the odd goal or two and in some games, with few chances, with others alot more.  Now, if the chances are not falling to him - or Ameobi for example, who is going to score? 

Ameobi (assuming he plays alongside Beckford) and Beckford would need about 10 chances in a game to score 1-2 goals.

On the balance of this, I cannot seeing him making that much of a difference.

With 4 strikers on the books already, all of which have scored goals this season, I think we need to address the service.  A creative midfielder and someone on the right would be the areas I would spend - not on a striker.

We also need to hope that the manager will realise we need to keep Guthrie in the side and in the MIDDLE - assuming we get no one else, not Nolan and Smith/Butt

being honest, no matter how poorly we've played this season if there is one thing we've managed to do it's create or have chances handed to us.

I love this talk that Beckford is a risk at more than £1.5m because he might not score goals in the premier. If you want a risk free investment in a striker who will score goals in the premier start talking £10m plus then.

Exactly, and even then goals might not be gurantee'd. The fact is any striker we sign is going to be a gamble. With the amount of money we've got availible you simply aren't going to get a proven goalscorer, therefore any buy will be a risk, you've just got to hope it pays off. A lot of it is pot luck I suppose.

One word...

Bassong.

Relegated in the French league. Nobody knew who he was, sure we only paid £500K for him, on £15K a week but we gave him a chance.

Why couldn't Beckford be afforded the same.

Christ, everyone knows that some clubs suit players better than others. There is a thread somewhere about players that left us and have kicked on to play better in other teams. We could be Beckfords "other team" al a Andy Cole.

Personally speaking, i've watched Beckford for two years at Elland Road and he often looks a woeful player in league 1, he'll last a few games at best in the premiership before everyone at SJP turns on him.

Exactly, and even then goals might not be gurantee'd. The fact is any striker we sign is going to be a gamble. With the amount of money we've got availible you simply aren't going to get a proven goalscorer, therefore any buy will be a risk, you've just got to hope it pays off. A lot of it is pot luck I suppose.

if we buy him for 2mill, get promotrd and he looks poor in the prem. does anyone think we'd get much less than 2mill if we sold him on with a couple of years left on his contract ?

Guest Roger Kint

We're not into giving chances, it's a football club, not Jim'll Fix It.

:clap:

So we didn't give Andy Cole a chance after he had bombed at Arsenal, and by all accounts had a s*** attitude at Bristol City?

He isnt Andy Cole for gods sake, are you mentally incapable of working out the difference? Oh and i have never mentioned his attitude so why bring it up?  :idiot2:

Oh and no matter how much optimism you have, common sense tends to get you further in life

One word...

Bassong.

Relegated in the French league. Nobody knew who he was, sure we only paid £500K for him, on £15K a week but we gave him a chance.

Christ, everyone knows that some clubs suit players better than others. There is a thread somewhere about players that left us and have kicked on to play better in other teams. We could be Beckfords "other team" al a Andy Cole.

Personally speaking, i've watched Beckford for two years at Elland Road and he often looks a woeful player in league 1, he'll last a few games at best in the premiership before everyone at SJP turns on him.

you've a season ticket at elland road ?

One word...

Bassong.

How can he be woeful player in League 1 when Leeds consider him one of their best and he scores a bunch.

One word...

Bassong.

I think what he's trying to say is that his general play can be pretty poor, but there's no doubt he's a goalscorer.

One word...

Bassong.

How can he be woeful player in League 1 when Leeds consider him one of their best and he scores a bunch.

They're all perfectly happy for him to leave man.

Guest Roger Kint

One word...

Bassong.

They're all perfectly happy for him to leave man.

He has been booed a fair bit in his Leeds time iirc

Noticed that he scores a fair amount with his left peg. Some crackers too.

That's what I can't ignore tbh. The quality of some of the goals puts him above the average player for me. He looks like an athlete as well, although he's clearly not the hardest working. I would far rather risk £2m on a player of this type than some proven cast off who's best days are behind him.

I don't think this will get resolved until the end of January. From Leeds' point of view, they may as well postpone accepting the offer until the last minute so they get the most use out of the player.

This is assuming that our offer will still stand, which seems like a reasonable assumption, given that we've been after Beckford for a while.

I'm more worried about Beckford's attitude than his ability. He seems a rather mouthy character who could upset the harmony of the dressing room. Hopefully we have the characters who can put him in his place.

Guest toonlass

I don't think this will get resolved until the end of January. From Leeds' point of view, they may as well postpone accepting the offer until the last minute so they get the most use out of the player.

This is assuming that our offer will still stand, which seems like a reasonable assumption, given that we've been after Beckford for a while.

I'm more worried about Beckford's attitude than his ability. He seems a rather mouthy character who could upset the harmony of the dressing room. Hopefully we have the characters who can put him in his place.

Barton?

He's ambitious which isn't a bad attribute. We could always buy players with no ambition and looking for an easy pay cheque at the end of a successful career at other clubs, like Duff, Butt, Geremi and Owen. All super characters I'm sure.

Barton?

Hum, I hope not. I'd rather he left it to the likes of Smudger and Nolan.

Guest toonlass

Barton?

Hum, I hope not. I'd rather he left it to the likes of Smudger and Nolan.

Really? Because everything I hear about Barton's attitude around the training ground and with the younger lads sounds really positive, and that is from the likes of Nolan and Smith. I am pretty sure that if someone was disrupting the team spirit that the lads seem to have, the likes of Smith, Harper, Nolan and Barton would be the ones to sort it out.