Should we get promoted who could we realistically get as manager in 2010/2011?

Guest michaelfoster
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bringing Keegan in for a third stint is potential suicide, you potentially create a monster "well if you don't do this i'm walking, remember what happened last time?"  As much as I enjoyed the football he brought in and the vibe around the club whilst he was manager I think we need to put this part of our history behind us.

Alan Shearer wont be brought in at the end of last season after the fiasco that was the close season, although I wouldn't overly mind seeing him take the reins.  Despite the lack of points in the relegation fight he made some really big changes behind the scenes that can only have benefited Chris this year (such as the staying at the training ground until 4pm if you're injured rule).

I think Curbishley is our best/safest bet.  Look what he did for Charlton with limited resources, not the biggest stadium and not the largest fan base.  As soon as he left them they were doomed.  I'd like to think we're looking fairly safe to stay up if/when we get promoted next season but bringing in someone like Curbs hopefully means we see the fullest potential from our squad.

If he's not up for it I'd like to see Steve Coppell in the hot seat.  (see Curbishley bit but replace Charlton with Reading).

I think I speak for most when I say, I think Chris Hughton seems like a really good bloke who has worked incredibly hard and looks like he's going to get us promoted.  However, I've always felt like he's in a Lose/Lose scenario.  We don't go up he's sacked, we do go up and everyone thinks "well they were always going to go up with that squad" and the club will probably look for a "PL manager".  I honestly believe if Chris stays after promotion we'll go back down, as I said I like the guy, but I just don't think he can cut the mustard and do enough for us to survive.

Its pointless because Ashley isnt in it for the long term, as long as Ashley's we're not going to get someone better than Hughton. You cant say Mark Hughes is the best man out there, because no-one is going to achieve anything long term if the fat man's here. If new ownership came in then the likes of Hughes, Curbishley, Sven etc would be possibilites.

I know some people wont agree, and some might think its narrow minded, but imo Keegan is the best man for this job. Its actually narrow minded, imo, dismiss him just because its KK. All this quit stuff is giving Ashley far too much credit as a owner, and I question whether a lot of Newcastle fans have read the tribunal. People we're demanding his return when he was forced out, they wernt crazy people then, 52,000 were saying the same thing... the only thing thats changed now is its been proved he was forced out, which is why my feelings are still the same. The team was heading in the rigth direction if we had made some good signings that summer, he's a top manager despite the cliche'd rubbish that goes around. The sentimental part is the incredibly brilliant bonus.

Bringing Keegan in for a third stint is potential suicide, you potentially create a monster "well if you don't do this i'm walking, remember what happened last time?"  As much as I enjoyed the football he brought in and the vibe around the club whilst he was manager I think we need to put this part of our history behind us.

Alan Shearer wont be brought in at the end of last season after the fiasco that was the close season, although I wouldn't overly mind seeing him take the reins.  Despite the lack of points in the relegation fight he made some really big changes behind the scenes that can only have benefited Chris this year (such as the staying at the training ground until 4pm if you're injured rule).

I think Curbishley is our best/safest bet.  Look what he did for Charlton with limited resources, not the biggest stadium and not the largest fan base.  As soon as he left them they were doomed.  I'd like to think we're looking fairly safe to stay up if/when we get promoted next season but bringing in someone like Curbs hopefully means we see the fullest potential from our squad.

If he's not up for it I'd like to see Steve Coppell in the hot seat.  (see Curbishley bit but replace Charlton with Reading).

I think I speak for most when I say, I think Chris Hughton seems like a really good bloke who has worked incredibly hard and looks like he's going to get us promoted.  However, I've always felt like he's in a Lose/Lose scenario.  We don't go up he's sacked, we do go up and everyone thinks "well they were always going to go up with that squad" and the club will probably look for a "PL manager".  I honestly believe if Chris stays after promotion we'll go back down, as I said I like the guy, but I just don't think he can cut the mustard and do enough for us to survive.

Its pointless because Ashley isnt in it for the long term, as long as Ashley's we're not going to get someone better than Hughton. You cant say Mark Hughes is the best man out there, because no-one is going to achieve anything long term if the fat man's here. If new ownership came in then the likes of Hughes, Curbishley, Sven etc would be possibilites.

I know some people wont agree, and some might think its narrow minded, but imo Keegan is the best man for this job. Its actually narrow minded, imo, dismiss him just because its KK. All this quit stuff is giving Ashley far too much credit as a owner, and I question whether a lot of Newcastle fans have read the tribunal. People we're demanding his return when he was forced out, they wernt crazy people then, 52,000 were saying the same thing... the only thing thats changed now is its been proved he was forced out, which is why my feelings are still the same. The team was heading in the rigth direction if we had made some good signings that summer, he's a top manager despite the cliche'd rubbish that goes around. The sentimental part is the incredibly brilliant bonus.

While I agree Keegan would be a great choice as manager, I just don't think he'd realistically be able to work under the sort of budget Hughton is working with. The reality is that in future most managers are going to have to work under tight financial constraints the way football is going.

Guest malandro

There’s too much shit attached to KK’s last stint as manager for him to come back again. His return would open up divisions in the ranks that haven’t properly healed yet, despite KK being vindicated in a court of law.

I doubt Ashley will be selling soon. He might if somebody offered him £200m, but that’s not going to happen. I think his plan is to get promoted but to run the club on a championship budget - use the extra PL to repay the £100m loan. It’s a high risk strategy but if we can manage to avoid relegation for three seasons he’ll have his £100m back and be left with a debt free championship club he could flog for about £100m. This way he can sell the club without losing any money.

While I agree Keegan would be a great choice as manager, I just don't think he'd realistically be able to work under the sort of budget Hughton is working with. The reality is that in future most managers are going to have to work under tight financial constraints the way football is going.

Aye, the budget Hughton is working with is about making baby steps. True I can also see there being more financial constraints in general, although every ownership wont be exactly the same. I dont think he needs crazy budget, ambitious yes, but just to simply be allowed to spend whatever budget he has as he see's fit, like every manager.

There’s too much s*** attached to KK’s last stint as manager for him to come back again. His return would open up divisions in the ranks that haven’t properly healed yet, despite KK being vindicated in a court of law.

I doubt Ashley will be selling soon. He might if somebody offered him £200m, but that’s not going to happen. I think his plan is to get promoted but to run the club on a championship budget - use the extra PL to repay the £100m loan. It’s a high risk strategy but if we can manage to avoid relegation for three seasons he’ll have his £100m back and be left with a debt free championship club he could flog for about £100m. This way he can sell the club without losing any money.

That does confuse me  ???  Everyone wanted him re-installed after he went, and again the only thing thats changed since is we know how he was unbelievably stitched up... ?

Guest malandro

There’s too much s*** attached to KK’s last stint as manager for him to come back again. His return would open up divisions in the ranks that haven’t properly healed yet, despite KK being vindicated in a court of law.

That does confuse me  ???  Everyone wanted him re-installed after he went, and again the only thing thats changed since is we know how he was unbelievably stitched up... ?

There were many who bought into the Keegan walked because wasn’t allowed to sign Henry type mud that was being slung around.  By the time the tribunal ruled in his favour (and all the nonsense about recruiting players off youtube and the club lying to the supporters about who was in charge of recruitment came to light) it was too late – too many supporters had nailed their flag to the wrong mast  and after months of infighting we’re never going to admit they got it wrong. Keegan has become a thorny issue, which is a travesty but sadly also a reality. Better to try and remember the good times and move on.

How is Sven in any way realistic? :lol:

He accepted a job at Nott's Forest, how the fuck isn't he realistic?

He would be great choice in my opinion, he did fairly weel for Man City, tends to do well at clubs, not so well at nations, so yes I would welcome him to the club.

He would be great choice in my opinion, he did fairly weel for Man City, tends to do well at clubs, not so well at nations, so yes I would welcome him to the club.

££££££££££££££££

££££££££££££££££

Premier League club?

Onmly one man for me and he isnt even oin the list.

Guus Hiddink will be available in the summer apparently so we should move heaven and earth to get him. He makes ordinary players look special.

:lol: Sprinkling of crack on top of your cornflakes this morning was it?

Yeah, I know, probably a bit unrealistic at the moment but if we go up, most of the top teams have already established managers and he is free from his russian contract in the summer.

Noone ever thought he would take on the national teams of Australia, South Korea or Russia but he did. He obviously likes a challenge and, boy, WOULD WE BE A CHALLENGE.

I live forever in hope though.

Yeah, I know, probably a bit unrealistic at the moment but if we go up, most of the top teams have already established managers and he is free from his russian contract in the summer.

Noone ever thought he would take on the national teams of Australia, South Korea or Russia but he did. He obviously likes a challenge and, boy, WOULD WE BE A CHALLENGE.

The idea of us paying Gus Hiddink's wages is so daft it's not even funny.

The idea of us paying Gus Hiddink's wages is so daft it's not even funny.

Well, mate, Like I said before, I live in hope.

How is this Dave?

Shite, Dave, give me a break, will you?

Been living in Oz for 30 years and has bound to have had an affect on my mental intellect.

You poor bugger. Living in that horrible hot sunshine while we are lapping up the weather in Costa del Newcastle  :angry:

There were many who bought into the Keegan walked because wasn’t allowed to sign Henry type mud that was being slung around.  By the time the tribunal ruled in his favour (and all the nonsense about recruiting players off youtube and the club lying to the supporters about who was in charge of recruitment came to light) it was too late – too many supporters had nailed their flag to the wrong mast  and after months of infighting we’re never going to admit they got it wrong. Keegan has become a thorny issue, which is a travesty but sadly also a reality. Better to try and remember the good times and move on.

Aye a know how you mean now. The fact the con men stained his name for some people would make success under him even sweeter. Any doubters would soon be following in appreciation again if he worked his magic Im sure, football's such a of-the-moment game. A seige mentality could be created in the midst of media ridicule. I understand what your saying about move on etc, but to dissmiss him would be moving on for the sake of it if anything, despite what could be best for nufc, if some people brush aside the cliche's & murky media-influenced perception, imo of course.

• 2 weeks later...

Steve McClaren. If we can look beyond his Boro years and his personality, I think he's still a really good manager. Moreover, he'll be looking for redemption after Croatia-gate and we could do with such a drive. He's also went abroad to refine his skills, which I respect. Thats exactly what Sir Bobby and Hodgson did. Anybody agree?