Should we get promoted who could we realistically get as manager in 2010/2011?

Guest michaelfoster
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

He talks bollocks in his interviews man.

He's all 'hopeful on Beckford/Moses' and 'it's a tough place to go'. He's got totally the wrong attitude.

Aye, cos saying that he wasn't hoping to sign the lad, and we'll fuck all the other teams in their faces would be sensible.

He could have stopped at "They are a player we've looked at" and "We were below-par today, but we'll improve for the next game" rather than going into some crap about how we didn't win because the other team made it really difficult - which 9 times outta 10 is untrue.

He could have stopped at "They are a player we've looked at" and "We were below-par today, but we'll improve for the next game" rather than going into some crap about how we didn't win because the other team made it really difficult - which 9 times outta 10 is untrue.

But he has been very coy on players for the most part and I think it was good that he was positive on Moses before the Premier League teams came in, but like Miguel etc, it didn't come off. I certainly don't see it as a negative that he was showing the player, other clubs, and our own board our intentions.

As for saying our team were below par, how many top managers would ever come out with that other than the extremely rare occasions where the team need a public dressing down.

Blame the ref, the pitch or the plucky opposition, save the criticism for the dressing room - which as we know from player interviews, despite his calm public image, Hughton is very capable of going balistic in when necessary.

Hughton is clearly a firm believer in not criticising the players in public, and that often makes his interviews a bit bland. Providing he's able to give them a rollocking where it matters, I'm not too bothered.

It was interesting that our best result of the season followed that dire performance against Leicester, and rumours that Hughton had had a go at the team in the dressing room.

Hughton is clearly a firm believer in not criticising the players in public, and that often makes his interviews a bit bland. Providing he's able to give them a rollocking where it matters, I'm not too bothered.

It was interesting that our best result of the season followed that dire performance against Leicester, and rumours that Hughton had had a go at the team in the dressing room.

I agree with this. At first Hughton's nothing interviews used to seriously piss me off but He's definitely grown into the role and for me he's handling them very well now, far more assured and he looks like an intelligent bloke. It's easy to win cheap points with soundbites like Kinnear but it doesn't generally work out long term. I think Shearer was guilty of this as well and it showed in that performance against Villa where we went down spinelessly.

I agree with this. At first Hughton's nothing interviews used to seriously piss me off but He's definitely grown into the role and for me he's handling them very well now, far more assured and he looks like an intelligent bloke. It's easy to win cheap points with soundbites like Kinnear but it doesn't generally work out long term. I think Shearer was guilty of this as well and it showed in that performance against Villa where we went down spinelessly.

I think he is deliberately boring TBH. He tries to keep everything low key and un-dramatic.

You could argue that he is just a boring guy but i noticed him on the touchline screaming at his strikers to close down the ball despite being 5-1 up. This doesn't suggest he is the weak man some might think.

I also agree with Yorkies point that his transfers in the summer would have a huge baring on his time here.

When we had the good run under Keegan, we stumbled across the 4-3-3 due to injuries to Milner and N'Zogbia. Similarly, here's hoping Smith and Butt being out will encourage Hughton to stick with Guthrie and Nolan. His transfers and loan deals all season have been pretty sound. Will be interesting to see how he gets on in the summer.

When we had the good run under Keegan, we stumbled across the 4-3-3 due to injuries to Milner and N'Zogbia. Similarly, here's hoping Smith and Butt being out will encourage Hughton to stick with Guthrie and Nolan. His transfers and loan deals all season have been pretty sound. Will be interesting to see how he gets on in the summer.

Milner maybe yes, he was injured. N'Zogbia wasn't injured in the first game we played that formation (against Birmingham). And I think the biggest decision for KK was to finally leave Duff out.

But of course, I also hope that Hughton will have realized that a team without Smith and Butt is the best team. Although I'm not too sure if we won't need Smith in away games tbh.

I think another aspect people might have questioned Hughton over is how he handles big name players and egos. Well he's got two Argentina internationals playing well for us with genuine chances of going to South Africa when I doubt most people would have thought they'd even be here in August after the Villa match. He also showed at Wba first game when he dropped Barton after it was reported there'd been some sort of rift that he's not afraid to deal with people stepping out of line.

Guest north shields lad

We will have to stick with him, no team gets rid of there manager after he has won the championship. However when we sack him in the second week of december i would go for Jewell, or Houllier.

However inless we find 20 million quid to spend on players, then the current team would come straight back down again.

We will have to stick with him, no team gets rid of there manager after he has won the championship. However when we sack him in the second week of december i would go for Jewell, or Houllier.

However inless we find 20 million quid to spend on players, then the current team would come straight back down again.

I'd rather stick with Hughton than get Jewell as a manager, I don't know what it is about him but he just comes across as an old school mouthy git like Kinnear. Maybe I'm doing him a disservice but he hasn't ever struck me as a good manager.

Guest north shields lad

I'd rather stick with Hughton than get Jewell as a manager, I don't know what it is about him but he just comes across as an old school mouthy git like Kinnear. Maybe I'm doing him a disservice but he hasn't ever struck me as a good manager.

Took over Bradford i think 6 games into a season, they were bottom of the league. Hw won them promption. Kept them in the premiership. Then left and they went down, brought wigan up, kept them up and left.

All though he looked a poor manager at Derby.

I dont think I'll judge Jewell by his time at Derby to be fair, the team was a total sad case partly because of him, but he took over a team with a squad nowhere good enough for the Premier League, and barely good enough for the CCC. Hughton should be given a shot otherwise Curbs/Coppell/Hughes for me.

Guest malandro

Hughton inherited the best squad and best supported team in the division. He’s also hasn’t had to stick his neck out in the transfer market - supporters don’t expect much from free transfers and bargain basement signings. And expectations were low at the start of the season. In short the pressure has been off, and it’s how managers respond to pressure that ultimately separates the good from the bad.

He’s done a decent job but the real test of his management is still to come. It’ll be interesting to see how he deals with performance against Cardiff, where the commonly held view that we’d better without two defensive plodders in CM was vindicated. Does he have the balls to drop Nolan or Smith on a regular basis, and will the much vaunted team spirit remain intact if he does?

Pressure is off? He's only lost 3 games and still gets stick. Every decision he makes is under scrutiny here and has double the number of fans watching his every move that others in this division have. I doubt there's many other managers in this league who would have managed these sorts of egos and reputations in the way he has.

Guest jonlane86

Bringing Keegan in for a third stint is potential suicide, you potentially create a monster "well if you don't do this i'm walking, remember what happened last time?"  As much as I enjoyed the football he brought in and the vibe around the club whilst he was manager I think we need to put this part of our history behind us.

Alan Shearer wont be brought in at the end of last season after the fiasco that was the close season, although I wouldn't overly mind seeing him take the reins.  Despite the lack of points in the relegation fight he made some really big changes behind the scenes that can only have benefited Chris this year (such as the staying at the training ground until 4pm if you're injured rule).

I think Curbishley is our best/safest bet.  Look what he did for Charlton with limited resources, not the biggest stadium and not the largest fan base.  As soon as he left them they were doomed.  I'd like to think we're looking fairly safe to stay up if/when we get promoted next season but bringing in someone like Curbs hopefully means we see the fullest potential from our squad.

If he's not up for it I'd like to see Steve Coppell in the hot seat.  (see Curbishley bit but replace Charlton with Reading).

I think I speak for most when I say, I think Chris Hughton seems like a really good bloke who has worked incredibly hard and looks like he's going to get us promoted.  However, I've always felt like he's in a Lose/Lose scenario.  We don't go up he's sacked, we do go up and everyone thinks "well they were always going to go up with that squad" and the club will probably look for a "PL manager".  I honestly believe if Chris stays after promotion we'll go back down, as I said I like the guy, but I just don't think he can cut the mustard and do enough for us to survive.