Should we get promoted who could we realistically get as manager in 2010/2011?

Guest michaelfoster
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

You didn't seem to do particularly well when he was in charge last season. There are reasons to think he might not be able to step up.

I think last season's failures were more down to the players not being good enough to compete at that level and the turmoil off the pitch didn't help. Don't really think it was fair to judge either Hughton or Shearer on their short spells in charge, they were both working with problems created by other people.

Sunderland moved Ricky whatshisface back into another smaller role after they stayed up, so I see no reason why Hughton couldn't just be moved to a coaching role at the end of the season.

Sunderland moved Ricky whatshisface back into another smaller role after they stayed up, so I see no reason why Hughton couldn't just be moved to a coaching role at the end of the season.

I think that highlights the crux of the problem though - it's easy enough to get rid of managers who aren't up to it, it's another thing to actually get an improvement. Steve Bruce has been a very expensive replacement for Sbragia so far and they are still fighting relegation. I still think genuinely talented managers are few and far between and it's very easy to chuck good money in hope without any real idea if it is going to work.

Just out of curiosity, has there ever been a team to get promoted to the Premiership and then sack their manager?

Hmmmmm. He wasnt sacked but we lost Arthur Cox straight after we gained promotion to Division 1 in 1984 after an argument with the Board.

We'd have to pay someone off to get someone 'good enough', which throws realism out of the window. We're sticking with Hughton anyway. Being typically negative, he'll get the sack/resign before Christmas imo.

That said, being atypically positive, someone in here said yesterday that the thing that gives the likes of Birmingham/Burnley a boost when they come up - is team spirit, togetherness, etc. But i just don't think we have enough quality nor the attraction for good players. Hughton's really gonna have to prove himself in the transfer market and dig out some bargains if he's gonna have any hope of keeping his job/keeping us up next year.

I still stand by this post. If we're gonna keep Hughton, which we will, then all we have to bank on is his ability to maintain a very happy dressing room.

The bolded bit is a key point and ... *throws neck on the line* ... has made a fantastic start in this respect. If he can continue to find bargains that are good enough for the Premiership, then we might do alright next year. But it's all very if/but/maybe - i still can't see Chris Hughton managing us for 38 games in one Premier League season.

Hughton deserves his chance although I have my doubts. What he's done this season out of the shambles we were deserves a lot more credit than what he gets. Failing that I wish it was different for keegan last time but taking him out the equation then hughes

Hughton's season so far (i know people won't agree)

Off field - 9/10

On field - 4/10

Transfers - 7.5/10

Communication - 5.5/10

For me he doesn't communicate well to the fans (or just me) and needs to work on that. It might just be I don't respect him enough to take him seriously. He's not someone you want to listen too either, he doesn't have the charm and enthusiasm of Bobby or Keegan. Really the only real weakness in his managerial time here is on the pitch, which really is where it counts. He's learning, but will he be ready for the Prem? It's a big step up and so far he hasn't shown he's capable tactically.

He's done an amazing job getting the players together, team spirit is at an all time high and he's managed to put the relegation disappointment behind them and focus on getting us back to where we belong. His transfer dealings have also been solid considering his shoestring budget and had identified key areas of weakness and bought accordingly.

But where it counts, on the pitch it really isn't good enough ATM and most of the season we've played crap football and he's picked unbalanced and defensive teams while sticking with players who are not performing well enough, mainly in the centre of the park. In the coming months points are our number one priority (of course) but i would like to see some performances that give us some hope that we can actually do it next year if we go up.

Off field - 9/10

On field - 4/10

Transfers - 7.5/10

Communication - 5.5/10

For me he doesn't communicate well to the fans (or just me) and needs to work on that. It might just be I don't respect him enough to take him seriously. He's not someone you want to listen too either, he doesn't have the charm and enthusiasm of Bobby or Keegan. Really the only real weakness in his managerial time here is on the pitch, which really is where it counts. He's learning, but will he be ready for the Prem? It's a big step up and so far he hasn't shown he's capable tactically.

He's done an amazing job getting the players together, team spirit is at an all time high and he's managed to put the relegation disappointment behind them and focus on getting us back to where we belong. His transfer dealings have also been solid considering his shoestring budget and had identified key areas of weakness and bought accordingly.

But where it counts, on the pitch it really isn't good enough ATM and most of the season we've played crap football and he's picked unbalanced and defensive teams while sticking with players who are not performing well enough, mainly in the centre of the park. In the coming months points are our number one priority (of course) but i would like to see some performances that give us some hope that we can actually do it next year if we go up.

You forgot to add that he's taken us to the top of the league, which I don't think anyone would have predicted, in the circumstances.

Even then, you can't judge his work properly after only one season. He's started to bring his own players in, and presumably he'll have even more opportunity should we get promoted. Then we can get some idea of his ability.

But as it is, he's had to make do with what's been left behind after relegation. So let's give the bloke a proper chance.

Off field - 9/10

On field - 4/10

Transfers - 7.5/10

Communication - 5.5/10

Not what I have found, his comunication has been fucking superb in my opinion.

For me his interviews pre and post match - both it his long video discussions on .cock or interveiws in the papers,  have all been pretty spot on - concentrating on the players and the team, not being sidetracked by stupid questions or questions about personal life and other bollocks about himself and his team; sensible and genuinely difficult to disagree with.

I love having a manager who is willing to explain things and simply seems to talk sense.