Joey Barton blasts players' lifestyle

David28

Didn't really know where to post this, so decided to start a new topic. Think it's interesting to read and he's right with a lot of here.

Players 'detached from reality', fumes Joey Barton

Newcastle midfielder Joey Barton claims the decadent lifestyles of many players puts them out of touch with reality.

Barton's own discipline problems have seen him jailed but he told Radio 4's Today programme that gave him a sense of perspective other players lack.

"A lot of them are so detached from reality it's untrue and there was a stage when I was like that," he said.

"It's only the fact I'm grounded by the trouble I've been in that's forced me away from being in the football world."

Barton also said the huge amounts of money players were paid added to their sense of isolation from the world that normal fans live in.

"Driving round in flash cars and changing them like you change your socks, wearing stupid diamond watches and spending money like it's going out of fashion in the middle of a recession when some people are struggling to put food on the table for the kids - it's not the way to do it," he said.

Former Manchester City player Barton, 27, who has one England cap, has been plagued by unsavoury episodes the whole way through his career.

I was forced to address my issues, either carry on doing what you're doing and your career is gone, or you address it

His list of misdemeanours includes stubbing a lit cigarette into the eye of a team-mate, slapping a fan, hitting Manchester City colleague Ousmane Dabo and assaulting a man during a night out in Liverpool, which earned him a six-month prison sentence.

And he admitted he could have been in even more trouble had other incidents been made public.

"That's the stuff people know about - there's stuff I got away with," he said.

"I'm very fortunate, because of my profile and the job I do, and the fact I'm in the public eye, it got addressed - I was forced to address my issues, either carry on doing what you're doing and your career is gone, or you address it."

Barton addressed some of his personal problems with counsellors at the Sporting Chance clinic, which helps sports men and women with lifestyle and addiction problems, and is now a vocal public advocate of the clinic's work.

Edit: Forgot to post the link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/8434270.stm

Headline writers dream.

Joey Barton discusses players' lifestyle.

He'd be far better off giving an interview like this after he's got himself fit, played well consistently and contributed something here to prove he's turned the corner. 

Sadly interviews like this are normally followed by him getting into more bother. :undecided:

Why was anyone after an interview with Barton anyway

He needs to just play football from now on. Once hes spent atleast a season or two not attempting to break players legs, then he can give it the whole "oh i used to be so bad".

Right now hes proved nothing.

Of course they wouldn't be the same. 

I don't think I'd be far off in saying that's because they don't consider Carroll and his rap sheet to be anything nearly as bad as Barton. 

Or were you implying another bias behind the switching of opinion?

One thing he's wrong about. During a recession rich people who's income is unaffected by the recession shouldn't cut back on their spending. The spending helps the country get out of recession. I read Gerrard's wife saying she'd cut back on her spending. Why? Gerrard's wages haven't been affected by the recession.

Why was anyone after an interview with Barton anyway

He needs to just play football from now on. Once hes spent atleast a season or two not attempting to break players legs, then he can give it the whole "oh i used to be so bad".

Right now hes proved nothing.

His interviews are generally interesting tbf, more so than your average footballer anyway.

One thing he's wrong about. During a recession rich people who's income is unaffected by the recession shouldn't cut back on their spending. The spending helps the country get out of recession. I read Gerrard's wife saying she'd cut back on her spending. Why? Gerrard's wages haven't been affected by the recession.

I think he's referring more to the flashy nature of footballers, when lots of people have lost their jobs etc.

What a kobhead, he is right but it coming from him is an utter joke.

Don't get the lad to be honest, talks like he's peter ustinov but acts peter sutcliffe. He's right but why is he apparently such an articulate nutter?

like roy keane?

What a kobhead, he is right but it coming from him is an utter joke.

Don't get the lad to be honest, talks like he's peter ustinov but acts peter sutcliffe. He's right but why is he apparently such an articulate nutter?

like roy keane?

Aye. To my knowledge though the canine pleasuring saddam resembling arsehole never stuck a lit cigarette into someones eye though. I don't know what to think about this whole anger issues jazz or whether he's just a dick. He wants to separate his personal and professional lives more though for the good of or club. Articles like this, however much i agree with him are only met with cynicism and make us look daft. Talk with your feet Joey lad.

Guest Stephen927

Can't really argue with what he is saying, but will he rip up his contract for something like £30k a year? Wonder what car he drives, wonder what kind of watch he has, etc...

Can't really argue with what he is saying, but will he rip up his contract for something like £30k a year? Wonder what car he drives, wonder what kind of watch he has, etc...

Seen him in a Range Rover Sport, not exactly cheap.

Guest Stephen927

Seen him in a Range Rover Sport, not exactly cheap.

Or cheap to run, insure and maintain. Nice one Joey. :lol: