Portsmouth FC in yet more trouble - administration again?

GG

Gretna?

Chester

Gravesend

Dagenham (merged with Redbridge to 'survive')

Halifax Town

Hayes (merged with Yeading to 'survive')

Milton Keynes City

Probably a few more.

Dagenham and Redbridge was a marriage of convenience. As was Hayes and Yeading. Both clubs were stable on their own but one merged with the other in order to preserve status and generate income via ground sale and an expected increase in support. Grevesend & Northfleet changed their name to Ebbsfleet, nothing else changed.

Scarborough Athletic play in the Northern Counties East Premier Division, they were formed to replace the defunct club much like the new Halifax.

:thup: Nice to see Scarborough still alive. Halifax will be in the Blue Square Premier in a few years, their history of bouncing between League Two and the Conference has helped them attract very good players at lower league level, and the crowds they are getting just make them too big for that level. They'll probably get back to back promotions tbh.

I'd love to know how they explained away paying twice as much in image rights than Man Utd and ten times more than they brought in merchandise.

Collymore going bonkers on Talksport  :lol: "Torres, Rooney shift shirts, mugs, everything... Portsmouth players wouldn't be recognised in their own street"

Guest Heneage

I'd love to know how they explained away paying twice as much in image rights than Man Utd and ten times more than they brought in merchandise.

Collymore going bonkers on Talksport  :lol: "Torres, Rooney shift shirts, mugs, everything... Portsmouth players wouldn't be recognised in their own street"

Harsh.

Isn't HMRC going to appeal which will be heard as the 2nd half KO on Saturday?, imagine that, the game getting abadoned because the team goes bust during it.

there is to be no appeal. i'd like to know the justification/reasoning behind the decision to let portsmouth get away with this. i now hope thay follow the route of luton and keep on going down.

Isn't HMRC going to appeal which will be heard as the 2nd half KO on Saturday?, imagine that, the game getting abadoned because the team goes bust during it.

They said they won't appeal

When two judges lets them off with paying money into off-shore tax havens and fiddling debt just because they're a football club there's not much point going through another

I think they'll go for a full assault on the football creditors rule now

When two judges lets them off with paying money into off-shore tax havens and fiddling debt just because they're a football club there's not much point going through another

they have to, it's a ridculous rule.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

there is to be no appeal. i'd like to know the justification/reasoning behind the decision to let portsmouth get away with this. i now hope thay follow the route of luton and keep on going down.

You'd hope so, as the precedent has been set now. But you can bet they won't, which would be disgraceful.

they have to, it's a ridculous rule.

Are 'football creditors' only football clubs, or do they also include companies like bakeries, breweries and coach hire companies who provide services essential for football functions?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Think it was just Football Clubs/Leagues/Organisations, think it included agents, players and non-playing staff too. Local business attached to the club didn't get full whack from what I read.

I'd suspect that HM Goverment will pass some legislation that stipulates that HMRC automatically gets a "Most Favoured Nation" clause that means that they cannot have a lower standing as a creditor than any other entity. 

Ridiculous that the Prem League (or is it FA) can legally create a situation where they protect some creditors in full based on some industrial association membership, and they can have a higher status that HMRC and HM Government.  I understand them saying that we pay football debts before non football debt meaning that they pay transfer fees and wages before they pay any other suppliers etc, but the fact that they can put their own interests above their legal tax obligations is amazing.

I'd suspect that HM Goverment will pass some legislation that stipulates that HMRC automatically gets a "Most Favoured Nation" clause that means that they cannot have a lower standing as a creditor than any other entity. 

Ridiculous that the Prem League (or is it FA) can legally create a situation where they protect some creditors in full based on some industrial association membership, and they can have a higher status that HMRC and HM Government.  I understand them saying that we pay football debts before non football debt meaning that they pay transfer fees and wages before they pay any other suppliers etc, but the fact that they can put their own interests above their legal tax obligations is amazing.

Happens in all sorts of businesses.

Happens in all sorts of businesses.

Probably.....but I'm surprised that HM Government doesn't legislate that HM Government doesn't get screwed  :D

Are they getting a points deduction this year? As far as I can tell every team that a points deduction hasn't 'affected' has always had one as a follow up.

that happened to southampton alright but that was 2 leagues under the football league, portsmouths point deduction was handed out by the premier league so not sure if the same thing applies as its 2 different organisations

Are they getting a points deduction this year? As far as I can tell every team that a points deduction hasn't 'affected' has always had one as a follow up.

that happened to southampton alright but that was 2 leagues under the football league, portsmouths point deduction was handed out by the premier league so not sure if the same thing applies as its 2 different organisations

Leeds too. I thought the drill was that if they're getting relegated anyway they get the deduction next season too.

• 1 month later...

Portsmouth have made a complaint to the Football Association and the Italian Federation over non-payment of money for Kevin-Prince Boateng's transfer.

A fee of £5m was agreed with Genoa for the 23-year-old midfielder, who was subsequently loaned out to AC Milan.

"Genoa were due to pay the first instalment two weeks ago," said the Championship side's administrator Andrew Andronikou.

"We've been listening to excuses. We've had enough."

He added that Pompey, who have amassed debts of over £120m, were due the second of their four instalments in about a week.

"We complained last week on the 15th and got a response saying 'sorry, we mistook your bank details'," said Andronikou. "A week later, it doesn't look like the cheque has even hit the post."

Boateng helped Ghana to the quarter-finals of the 2010 World Cup.

He joined Portsmouth from Tottenham in 2009, scoring five goals in 27 appearances for the club.

Portsmouth, who are without a league win this season, are currently bottom of the Championship.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/9028698.stm

Portsmouth have made a complaint to the Football Association and the Italian Federation over non-payment of money for Kevin-Prince Boateng's transfer.

A fee of £5m was agreed with Genoa for the 23-year-old midfielder, who was subsequently loaned out to AC Milan.

"Genoa were due to pay the first instalment two weeks ago," said the Championship side's administrator Andrew Andronikou.

"We've been listening to excuses. We've had enough."

He added that Pompey, who have amassed debts of over £120m, were due the second of their four instalments in about a week.

"We complained last week on the 15th and got a response saying 'sorry, we mistook your bank details'," said Andronikou. "A week later, it doesn't look like the cheque has even hit the post."

Boateng helped Ghana to the quarter-finals of the 2010 World Cup.

He joined Portsmouth from Tottenham in 2009, scoring five goals in 27 appearances for the club.

Portsmouth, who are without a league win this season, are currently bottom of the Championship.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/9028698.stm

For some reason, I always assumed that football clubs were run better than the way stoners pay their rent, "cheque's in the post!" :lol:

Does anybody know why Portsmouth didn't get a points deduction this season given that it made no difference last year? I can't think of any other club that have been treated like this.

No, they should have had a further deduction for the reason you mention.