Beeb: Togo pull out of ACN

Dave

Apparently Togo now want to pull out of the tournament all together.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8449319.stm

They may well be considering pulling out, but I doubt they will. In fact put your house on them taking a full part. It's the money you see.

How fucking wonderful are SSN who've gave us the run down on every PREMIER LEAGFUE player in the tournement - as if no fucker else is important. Complete twats what they are.

It's pathetic the way media like SSN report on this sort of tragedy.

"The Togo team were caught in gunfire when they were attacked in Angola. The driver died and four others were injured... But don't worry, Man City's Adebayor and Villa's Salifou are ok! Phew!"

Apparently Togo now want to pull out of the tournament all together.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8449319.stm

They may well be considering pulling out, but I doubt they will. In fact put your house on them taking a full part. It's the money you see.

How fucking wonderful are SSN who've gave us the run down on every PREMIER LEAGFUE player in the tournement - as if no fucker else is important. Complete twats what they are.

That's always the way, though, isn't it? "700 people die in earthquake, including 2 Britons"

Guest Heneage

It's a good tournament, but irrespective of the time, no players should be going to a tournament in which their safety is not 100% guranteed.

Guest Heneage

It's a good tournament, but irrespective of the time, no players should be going to a tournament in which their safety is not 100% guranteed.

You could never guarantee anyone's security 100% ever, anywhere.

Ok then I shall rephrase.

They should not put in an enivronment that is currently the subject of a conflict, as was mentioned in the BBC article.

Ok then shall I rephrase.

They should not put in an enivronment that is currently the subject of a conflict, as was mentioned in the BBC article.

Well, they were driving to Angola from their training camp in Congo-Brazzaville, through a conflict-ridden exclave of Angola. Whose fault was that?

Say, there was a tournament in Scotland, and a team bus travelling from their training ground in the Republic of Ireland got attacked by terrorists in  conflict-ridden Northern Ireland. Would that be a reason to cancel any tournament held in Europe?

Well, they were driving to Angola from their training camp in Congo-Brazzaville, through a conflict-ridden exclave of Angola. Whose fault was that?

Say, there was a tournament in Scotland, and a team bus travelling from their training ground in the Republic of Ireland got attacked by terrorists in  conflict-ridden Northern Ireland. Would that be a reason to cancel any tournament held in Europe?

games are being held in that conflict ridden region i believe whos fault is that?

games are being held in that conflict ridden region i believe whos fault is that?

They are? That detail escaped me. I thought they were just passing through. Angola's fault, then, I suppose. OTOH, teams had been told by the CAF to fly, not travel overland -- a stipulation that the Togo team ignored.

They are? That detail escaped me. I thought they were just passing through. Angola's fault, then, I suppose. OTOH, teams had been told by the CAF to fly, not travel overland -- a stipulation that the Togo team ignored.

:facepalm:

They weren't told to fly, the CAF merely "expected" them to fly.

The Front for the Liberation of the Enclave of Cabinda (Flec), which said it carried out the attack, has fought for independence for several decades, but entered a ceasefire in 2006.

In a statement quoted by Portugal's Lusa news agency, the group said: "This operation is only the start of a series of targeted actions that will continue in all the territory of Cabinda." 

... and the teams are meant to have some of their matches at Cabinda. Are you really expecting them to continue to play under these circumstances?

Regardless, one woould expect the teams to fly. You would had expected it in the 1990's even. Bad show by togo's FA.

First of all, condolences and prayers to the driver's family, and may God be with those players and officials who sustained injuries.

You know, I ciriticised this idiocy from CAF from the start. There was NO WAY that countries like Angola should be hosting the ACN at this point in time. They do not have the infrastructure at all. I knew there would be problems here, and I can guarantee something will go amiss at Gabon/EG 2012. Angola has in no way recovered to the level needed for this type of events since the guns stopped firing 7 or so years ago. I understand the goal is to boost these nations, but at what cost? Throughout the course of the tournaments's history it has been held in North Africa or in one of the powerful Sub-Saharan Nations (SA, Ghana, Nigeria, etc.) The next one will be partly hosted by Equitorial Guinea. Something is wrong here.

SA 2010 will be fine. Angola is in no way comparable to the level of infrastructure that will be in place for the World Cup. It is like saying England is not safe because of incidents in Azerbaijan. I hope to be there.

they arranged for games to take place in a rebel province. How dumb are those bureaucrats, exactly? People should not be so surprised.

While the insurgency is over according to the Angolan government, anyone with half a brain can see that it is not. There were attacks as recently as 2009 and this one just goes to show... :rolleyes:

Oh yeah?

There was controversy last night over the fact that the Togo team had travelled into Angola by land, despite the Confederation of African Football stipulating that teams should fly.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/international/article6981351.ece

The AFC was at pains to stress last night that the Togolese team did not follow its guidelines on travelling to host cities.

Suleimanu Habuba, director of communications for the AFC, said: "What the regulations state clearly is that all the teams fly to Luanda, or into their host city.

"At no point was the confederation told that the Togolese were going by road."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jan/08/togo-football-team-ambushed-angola

Guest elbee909

Adebayor hailed the security who were trying to protect the team.

"To be honest without the security then I would not be here talking. Maybe you would be talking to my dead body. The security have done their job quite well," he told the BBC World Service.

Oh yeah?

There was controversy last night over the fact that the Togo team had travelled into Angola by land, despite the Confederation of African Football stipulating that teams should fly.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/international/article6981351.ece

The AFC was at pains to stress last night that the Togolese team did not follow its guidelines on travelling to host cities.

Suleimanu Habuba, director of communications for the AFC, said: "What the regulations state clearly is that all the teams fly to Luanda, or into their host city.

"At no point was the confederation told that the Togolese were going by road."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jan/08/togo-football-team-ambushed-angola

So they deserved to be shot at and their driver killed?

Christ man, just because they chose to go by bus, doesn't mean they're to blame for what happened.

Adebayor hailed the security who were trying to protect the team.

"To be honest without the security then I would not be here talking. Maybe you would be talking to my dead body. The security have done their job quite well," he told the BBC World Service.

They saved his life and all he could compliment them is by saying "quite well".  :rolleyes: :lol: