Beeb: Togo pull out of ACN

Dave

What about the latter stages of the ACN? What if Togo had been knocked out but Nigeria went on to the final? Would people expect City to not play Adebayor against Everton because Yakubu is still out there?

I think the manager should be allowed to look at his squad and pick whatever fucking XI that he wants to.

Nothing about leaving them out to make it fair for others at the ACN, nothing about always having to pick the best players if you want to rest them for a more winnable game.

It's a manager's job to pick the team, UEFA, FIFA and the FA don't have a right to go picking it for them.

Guest Stephen927

What about the latter stages of the ACN? What if Togo had been knocked out but Nigeria went on to the final? Would people expect City to not play Adebayor against Everton because Yakubu is still out there?

I think the manager should be allowed to look at his squad and pick whatever f***ing XI that he wants to.

Nothing about leaving them out to make it fair for others at the ACN, nothing about always having to pick the best players if you want to rest them for a more winnable game.

It's a manager's job to pick the team, UEFA, FIFA and the FA don't have a right to go picking it for them.

I agree with this.

Like I said, Togo players should be treated as being unavailable until they get knocked out in the first round.

Perhaps people need to look at this argument from a differnet perspective, i.e. not why Togo players should be allowed to play for their clubs, but why the players from other nationalities are not able to return to their clubs.

In my opinion, the whole tournament should be called off and get the players back to their clubs ASAP

Like I said, Togo players should be treated as being unavailable until they get knocked out in the first round.

Perhaps people need to look at this argument from a differnet perspective, i.e. not why Togo players should be allowed to play for their clubs, but why the players from other nationalities are not able to return to their clubs.

In my opinion, the whole tournament should be called off and get the players back to their clubs ASAP

I agree on the bit in bold, but I don't see it happening.

If a player is available, they should be allowed to play. The team chose to pull out of the ACN just like any other country can choose to the same. And if they do, their players can return to their clubs and be available for selection.

Guest toonlass

The only part of that I agree with is the last line tbh. The rest is just ridiculous.

So in your opinion the Togo players are the only ones who are doing what you want, but you don't want them to be allowed to. Great logic James. :lol:

So in your opinion the Togo players are the only ones who are doing what you want, but you don't want them to be allowed to. Great logic James. :lol:

I just generally want to see fair play on and off the pitch. I want to see results decided by the best players being available to play for their teams, and not by off-field international politics.

I just generally want to see fair play on and off the pitch. I want to see results decided by the best players being available to play for their teams, and not by off-field international politics.

Their best players won't be available if you get your way though  ???

This is nothing to do with fair play though and the best players are available to their teams it's just at the moment the Togo players are available to their club teams, whilst the rest of the players who went to the ACN are available to their national teams, in exactly the same way that players who are, or are not, involved in international tournaments always are. Just because the Togo players have become available again to their club teams in an unusual way, it changes nothing.

Ok...so what of the 37 African nations that did not qualify. Like say, Senegal, who have players playing throughout the top leagues. Maybe their players should be banned as well. We don't want random qualifiers in some far off country affecting the outcome of the hallowed European cash cow.

I agree on the bit in bold, but I don't see it happening.

If a player is available, they should be allowed to play. The team chose to pull out of the ACN just like any other country can choose to the same. And if they do, their players can return to their clubs and be available for selection.

Not sure the whole tournament should be called off, wouldn't that be a big victory for the people who made this attack? We don't want terrorist groups to think they can derail major tournaments that easily.

fuck 'victories'. It's about the safety of the players and if that isn't up to scratch, they should pull the whole thing. Rather than go ahead with it to show signs of solidarity.

fuck 'victories'. It's about the safety of the players and if that isn't up to scratch, they should pull the whole thing. Rather than go ahead with it to show signs of solidarity.

I guess you're right, but there doesn't seem to be any realistic chance or fear of further attacks. I thought the issue was over the shock and effects of the attack the other day, not that players are generally now unsafe.

Last nights game, when Malawi came from 4-0 down to draw with only 15 miuntes left confirmed that most of the countries in this competition really are crap, some good goals but only created by very weak defences.

On the subject of Togo leaving, I had a very weird dream that somehow Ireland were given their place because of the whole France and Handball thing.

Last nights game, when Malawi  came from 4-0 down to draw with only 15 miuntes left confirmed that most of the countries in this competition really are crap, some good goals but only created by very weak defences.

On the subject of Togo leaving, I had a very weird dream that somehow Ireland were given their place because of the whole France and Handball thing.

You mean Mali. Malawi beat Algeria today 3-0

Last nights game, when Malawi  came from 4-0 down to draw with only 15 miuntes left confirmed that most of the countries in this competition really are crap, some good goals but only created by very weak defences.

You mean Mali. Malawi beat Algeria today 3-0

Aye, Mali

Guest michaelfoster

Just saw this on someones facebook, bit harsh tbf

POLICE IN ANGOLA HAVE NAMED AN EARLY SUSPECT4 THE RECENT ATTACK ON THE TOGO TEAM BUS WITH OVER 300 SHOTS AND ONLY 3 ON TARGET POLICE ARE KEEN 2 SPEAK SHOLA AMEOBI.......

Guest Geordiesned

I can't believe the ACN authorities have issued a statement saying that if Togo don't play their fixture tonight they'll be disqualified from the tonight. Did they really need to? Pretty crass of them.

I can't believe the ACN authorities have issued a statement saying that if Togo don't play their fixture tonight they'll be disqualified from the tonight. Did they really need to? Pretty crass of them.

They said that because Togo were considering to skip tonights game but return to Angola for the rest of the tournament on Wednesday IIRC. I've got no problems with that tbh, would be very unfair on the other teams in that group if Ghana got a win against Togo while they still had to play them.

Guest Stephen927

Just saw this on someones facebook, bit harsh tbf

POLICE IN ANGOLA HAVE NAMED AN EARLY SUSPECT4 THE RECENT ATTACK ON THE TOGO TEAM BUS WITH OVER 300 SHOTS AND ONLY 3 ON TARGET POLICE ARE KEEN 2 SPEAK SHOLA AMEOBI.......

I agree, Ameobi has got 7 goals so far.