The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Once again proves he's shit.

Major scapegoating. I was happy with the team he chose, and factors beyond his control contrived against him today.

We were total shit first half by the sound of things (including comments from those there) and fully deserved to be two goals down.

Major scapegoating. I was happy with the team he chose, and factors beyond his control contrived against him today.

We were total shit first half by the sound of things (including comments from those there) and fully deserved to be two goals down.

yes but doing so from giving what a lot of us would have done in give guthrie a run in the middle, it didn't work

How many people have been bleating about Guthrie getting a game in the middle (myself included)? He finally did and he had a shite first half according to both Supermac and my mate down there on the text. Today, Hughton was the least of our worries.

No mention of Pancrate being correctly replaced at the break, funnily enough. Or how he managed to coax a second half showing out of Carroll? Some people (not necessarily you, Dave) are just happy to ignore the things he gets right and ppint the finger at him as soon as thing go tits up. He is far from perfect, but he's our fucking manager right now, and the attitudes of some people are completely cunting mental.

Can't really blame him today. As people said, he tried Guthrie in the middle- we wanted that- but it didn't work. He took Pancrate off at HT- which we wanted- and it had some effect. Albion had an extra man by the sounds of it.

But why we were so lethargic in the first half is certainly up for debate as to whether Hughton should take a large portion of the blame for that. Otherwise you can't fault the bloke.

No doubt, if we win our next game he'll be good enough again...

Nowt to do with the opposition, the ref, the sending off and the players he's got to choose from.

He didn't have to go 4-5-1 in the first half and give the game away in the first 45 minutes.  You can't blame the ref for that and you can't blame the ref for Hughton being clueless.  His line-ups are looking more and more like those of Allardyce and he's also looking more and more like the worst of Roeder.

How?

Tried guthrie in the middle, switched pancrate at ht. Not sure what you would blame him for.

Recent games are alluding to him being right about our previous lineups more than anything else.

45 minutes of Guthrie in the middle proves nothing, what about the other players who didn't perform in that half?  As for taking off pancrate, I wouldn't have started him and I wouldn't have gone 1 up front and handed West Brom the initiative.

I wasn't happy with the team he chose, he set us up to try and stop them instead of having a go at them.  We may have lost anyway but I think we would have had a better chance of doing something if we tried to have a go at them for 90 minutes.

Nowt to do with the opposition, the ref, the sending off and the players he's got to choose from.

He didn't have to go 4-5-1 in the first half and give the game away in the first 45 minutes.  You can't blame the ref for that and you can't blame the ref for Hughton being clueless.  His line-ups are looking more and more like those of Allardyce and he's also looking more and more like the worst of Roeder.

I'm guessing it was more of a 4-4-1-1. Again, this is something people have been wanting him to try, with Nolan playing off the front man! But it didn't work and all of a sudden he's tactically inept. I'm sorry, that isn't fair.

Pilko got it spot on saying people choose to ignore plaudible decisions from Chris, yet when it goes pear shaped the fire under his ass is stoked.

How many people have been bleating about Guthrie getting a game in the middle (myself included)? He finally did and he had a shite first half according to both Supermac and my mate down there on the text. Today, Hughton was the least of our worries.

No mention of Pancrate being correctly replaced at the break, funnily enough. Or how he managed to coax a second half showing out of Carroll? Some people (not necessarily you, Dave) are just happy to ignore the things he gets right and ppint the finger at him as soon as thing go tits up. He is far from perfect, but he's our fucking manager right now, and the attitudes of some people are completely cunting mental.

Agree with this basically. The players haven't really looked capable of producing good football all season, we've been relying on spirit bullying the opposition. We don't really have any other options at the moment with the squad we've got. Guthrie's been given a go but he's clearly got no heart for it.

a few people (madras etc) have pointed out that guthrie's not all that great in the middle, mind you, i'd still want to try him out there. today wasn't the best, and i would've thought with the extra man in Nolan that we would've done better than the last match. so it just hits home how desperate our central midfield situation is. through chopping and changing managers and getting rid of better players we have, over the span of a few years, collected a bunch of players who can't run. this part of the squad is totally unbalanced and crying out for some new talent. That's not Hughton's fault so i can sympathise with him, though i would like to see him pressing Ashley for a new midfielder.

But even then, there's been no innovative response on his part to address the failings. after the west brom league match he said Nolan and Smith did a good job off the ball when that is probably the worst aspect of their game and the one thing everyone criticises. once they lose the ball there's no chance of getting it back. Keegan was able to go for the midfield three with Geremi-Butt-Barton, not that different in terms of movement, slowness, unathleticism etc. Hughton's not really tried anything new, the closest would be having Nolan as a withdrawn striker. But trying out a new system is more than lining up a formation, you have to work at it in training, make sure the players are comfortable with the shape, know their orders and get them passing it around. we're still hoofing it up to ranger/shola/carroll/whoever.

I wasn't happy with the team he chose, he set us up to try and stop them instead of having a go at them.  We may have lost anyway but I think we would have had a better chance of doing something if we tried to have a go at them for 90 minutes.

Mick it's easy to be wise after the event, but if I'm not mistaken you were for picking Lua Lua in the first team. Well he's fucking useless so if that's your answer it's not a very good one.

The main problem on Monday night was the fact we were totally over-run in midfield, therefore I think he went with Nolan withdrawn and one striker to try and combat that problem. Guthrie was selected in centre midfield as many people (myself included) have been crying out for since some bloke called Neil landed on the moon, and by all accounts he sounded dreadful there.

To be fair Mick, I think you're a cracking poster and one of the best debaters on these forums, but it's painfully obvious to me that you just don't like Hughton that much, regardless of what he does and what our results are. As far as I'm concerned, Hughton's line-up today was well-balanced and was one that it was possible to win the game with. The man is far from perfect, and certainly not my choice by any stretch of the imagination, but today he got his team selection and substitutions spot on, and he is far down the list of reasons why we lost today.

Well done to him as well for marching into the centre circle to confront the referee at full time, too. I'm pleased he showed the whole ground that he had something to say to the ref, and I hope that he says as much in his post match interviews.

The attitude to Hughton on these boards in general is fucking shocking to say the least, as far as I'm concerned the man deserves a medal.

I'm guessing it was more of a 4-4-1-1. Again, this is something people have been wanting him to try, with Nolan playing off the front man! But it didn't work and all of a sudden he's tactically inept. I'm sorry, that isn't fair.

Pilko got it spot on saying people choose to ignore plaudible decisions from Chris, yet when it goes pear shaped the fire under his ass is stoked.

You're guessing that it was 4-4-1-1, OK it must have been that formation.

From what I've seen of people wanting to see Nolan playing off the front man it's because he's got no pace and offers nothing if he doesn't score, again, he didn't score and again he offered nothing.  I don't understand why anybody would think him playing off the front man would make him any better than he actually is, and for the same reason I don't understand why Hughton would think that, if he actually does.

Again I am going to agree with Pilko. Hughton has got us sat at the top of the table when many here thought we would struggle to finish halfway. The talk is of how he'll get us relegated if we go up as if promotion is a god given right. He's working with one arm tied behind his back in the transfer market to begin with, why not get to the Premier before we start moaning about doing badly when we are there?

I always find it funny the manager gets the blame when it's the TEAM that plays poor.

Isn't it his job to motivate them though? And this certainly isn't a knee-jerk from Mick and several others including myself either.

Mick it's easy to be wise after the event, but if I'm not mistaken you were for picking Lua Lua in the first team. Well he's f***ing useless so if that's your answer it's not a very good one.

I've seen LuaLua play for the reserves and I've seen him play a few times for the first team and I think he's worth a few games.  You think he's useless, I haven't seen anything to prove that he's useless but I have seen an unbalanced team for most of this season. 

I always find it funny the manager gets the blame when it's the TEAM that plays poor.

Therefore Sir Alex Ferguson deserves no credit at all for Man U having dominated English Football for 15+ years.

Can't have it one way and not the other.

The main problem on Monday night was the fact we were totally over-run in midfield, therefore I think he went with Nolan withdrawn and one striker to try and combat that problem. Guthrie was selected in centre midfield as many people (myself included) have been crying out for since some bloke called Neil landed on the moon, and by all accounts he sounded dreadful there.

To be fair Mick, I think you're a cracking poster and one of the best debaters on these forums, but it's painfully obvious to me that you just don't like Hughton that much, regardless of what he does and what our results are. As far as I'm concerned, Hughton's line-up today was well-balanced and was one that it was possible to win the game with. The man is far from perfect, and certainly not my choice by any stretch of the imagination, but today he got his team selection and substitutions spot on, and he is far down the list of reasons why we lost today.

Well done to him as well for marching into the centre circle to confront the referee at full time, too. I'm pleased he showed the whole ground that he had something to say to the ref, and I hope that he says as much in his post match interviews.

The attitude to Hughton on these boards in general is f***ing shocking to say the least, as far as I'm concerned the man deserves a medal.

I don't like Hughton as our manager because he's not a manager and never will be, as a person I'd give him 10 out of 10, as a manager I'd struggle to give him 5 out of 10.  I haven't seen a single thing to make me change my mind on him and at this stage I can't see that changing.

As for Monday, the problem was that we had a midfield of snail paced plodders and that's the way we played again today.  We have absolutely no creativity and that has been the case for most of the season and I can't see that taking a turn for the better because it doesn't look like were even looking to change anything by bringing in new blood.  Guthrie being quiet for 45 minutes proves nothing, I don't think anybody played well in the first half and the game only changed when we switched to 4-4-2 and had a go at them.

I'll give him credit for making the change at half time, I'll not give him any credit for the way he set us up before that, him changing things at half time only balances out the original mistake.  We can get away with players like Smith, Butt and Nolan against most teams in the Championship but not against the more mobile teams.