The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Phil K

Manager of the month again for April, Nolan POTM :thup:

Makes a nice change for Nice Guys not to finish last, doesn't it - at the other end of the table instead !

Merlin you say about signing players before the world cup as a good showing may up their value, the potential selling clubs will be aware of this so to get them to get the deals done early you will still end up paying over the odds.

I want transfers done asap but with a world cup it won't be easy signing anyone playing in the tournament, a lot of players also like to concentrate on the tournament before thinking about transferring to a new team.

Merlin you say about signing players before the world cup as a good showing may up their value, the potential selling clubs will be aware of this so to get them to get the deals done early you will still end up paying over the odds.

I want transfers done asap but with a world cup it won't be easy signing anyone playing in the tournament, a lot of players also like to concentrate on the tournament before thinking about transferring to a new team.

Remember Euro 2008? We were saying the same about Gomis. How times change. :(

Your theory can be turned on its head, Cajun - if the selling club puts a higher value on their WC player than buying clubs are prepared to pay, the sellers will end up with egg on their faces if the player has a POOR WC, or his team are eliminated early. In any case, a player should not simply be judged on what he does over a few WC games - the buying club should have done their homework long before that by watching him in league action regularly - Oh, wait, this is Newcastle...! Remember that outstanding WC winner Gui'Varch..!???

None of this detracts from my central point that players a club wants should be sorted out ASAP after the season finishes. Also, when you watch WC games, listen to commentary - you will find that they will often remark that 'so & so player is joining club X after the WC' so clubs OFTEN get agreement from players they want BEFORE major tournaments. They said this about Modric during the 2008 Euro Tournament because it was thought he was joining NUFC...then Spurs gazumped us over his wages......

Incidentally, I NEVER rated Gomis.....

Fair comments from Merlin, TBH.

However, I think the fact that we have alimited budget and we are really looking at players with PL experience or potential would probably show that Hughton isnt too concerned about targeting players from the WC.

As far as I can see, the only players leaving the club this summer will be Butt, Pancrate and possibly Hall and Steven taylor. Out of that lot, Taylor is obviously the major miss and what we get for him would be quite substantial (around 8 million plus) which would go into our kitty.

I think Hughton should look at the likes of Maynard of Bristol City. I feel he could have the potential to make a similar impact to Andy Cole. I like the look of the german lad at Celtic, Hinkel who wouild certainly walk straight in as first choice right back. On the Maynard thing, we could offer Best in part exchange.

I think it is highly possible that the likes of Vuckic, Kadar, Krul and Ranger may play more prominent parts in the squad if they are not all loaned out and of course, Forster is still an asset who should have another year at Norwich.

I also think the next couple of youngsters coming through could be Inman and Fergison.. Hopefully, these kids will progress, either as part of the squad or being loaned out to a high placed CCC team.

Guest twickmag

Rod Liddle of the Sunday Times is usually a tosser, but he's got this one from today right:

"But it’s below the Premier League where the real miracles occur; I reckon the manager of the season across all four divisions is Chris Hughton at Newcastle United; yes, he had more resources than most [especially in the January transfer window] but he also had the Geordies on his back and a club in freefall staffed with fractious and deluded players. You just hope they remember this when the Magpies are lying 15th in the Premier League come October and there are calls to replace him with Magic Johnson or Barack Obama or Malcolm Macdonald. "

Rod Liddle of the Sunday Times is usually a tosser, but he's got this one from today right:

"But it’s below the Premier League where the real miracles occur; I reckon the manager of the season across all four divisions is Chris Hughton at Newcastle United; yes, he had more resources than most [especially in the January transfer window] but he also had the Geordies on his back and a club in freefall staffed with fractious and deluded players. You just hope they remember this when the Magpies are lying 15th in the Premier League come October and there are calls to replace him with Magic Johnson or Barack Obama or Malcolm Macdonald. "

:clap:  Very true.

"But its below the Premier League where the real miracles occur; I reckon the manager of the season across all four divisions is Chris Hughton at Newcastle United; yes, he had more resources than most [especially in the January transfer window] but he also had the Geordies on his back and a club in freefall staffed with fractious and deluded players. You just hope they remember this when the Magpies are lying 15th in the Premier League come October and there are calls to replace him with Magic Johnson or Barack Obama or Malcolm Macdonald. "

I'd agree with that. It's a toss-up between Hodgson and Hughton for LMA Manager of the Year, and I really hope Hughton gets it. He inherited a sinking ship, on and off the pitch.

Are you taking the piss?

No.

It is true in my opinion that some fans will call for Hughton's sacking in October if we are in 15th - which would be wrong because he's the one who got us back into that league so he deserves a chance of a full season in that league.

Not that i've really kept tabs on all 92+ managers this season bar ours; i'd say there's another manager out there who's had it harder than Hughton this season - thus deserving such an accolade. That's not taking anything away from Hughton btw who, without doubt, has done a cracking job.

Your theory can be turned on its head, Cajun - if the selling club puts a higher value on their WC player than buying clubs are prepared to pay, the sellers will end up with egg on their faces if the player has a POOR WC, or his team are eliminated early. In any case, a player should not simply be judged on what he does over a few WC games - the buying club should have done their homework long before that by watching him in league action regularly - Oh, wait, this is Newcastle...! Remember that outstanding WC winner Gui'Varch..!???

Didn't we have Guivarch signed sealed and delivered before the 98 WC started?

Not that i've really kept tabs on all 92+ managers this season bar ours; i'd say there's another manager out there who's had it harder than Hughton this season - thus deserving such an accolade. That's not taking anything away from Hughton btw who, without doubt, has done a cracking job.

Eddie Howe has done fantastic at Bournemouth

Didn't we have Guivarch signed sealed and delivered before the 98 WC started?

No.

Are you taking the piss?

No.

It is true in my opinion that some fans will call for Hughton's sacking in October if we are in 15th - which would be wrong because he's the one who got us back into that league so he deserves a chance of a full season in that league.

Doubt VERY much that people will be calling for Hughton's head if the club are 15th in the Prem in October, or even at Christmas - if we are 18th at Christmas, they certainly will and if the team hasn't been strengthened in a few areas, they will be correct provided he has been given money to spend.

have I missed something here, has he  been given a new contract as my understanding was that he is manager until the end of the season,having said that believe the hierarchy never  said which season.