The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm more worried about our style of play away from home. I think we'll be so negative we'll leave ourselves with little chance of winning any games and "draw ourselves to relegation", like I remember someone saying last time. Against the bottom ten i think you've got to set up with some ambition, I'm not sure we will.

And, if true about the pitch, it suggests we won't be too ambitious at home either.

I'll make no bones about it, I think Hughton is poor and the squad is nowhere near good enough. If we get 30 points I'll be surprised.

agree with this...there's a difference between negative boring football and direct ambitious football which is being lost here somehow...hughton has the players for the latter, not the former in the PL imo

narrowing the pitch, if true, is a funny one as we have 2 wide men that can really stretch teams especially at home - is it any wonder people might be suspicious of our style of play to come?

Guest Antigalican

If we hadn't bounced straight back it would have been football (and probably financial) apocalypse TBH.

It was the one and only thing we could do to save our medium-term prospects of ever doing anything... any other result would have been disaster.

And that's the magnitude of Hughton's achievement. Plenty of other former Premiership Clubs have failed to get back up and ended up plummeting even further, taking years in their recovery, Leeds, Sheff Wed, Southampton, Charlton, Norwich, Forest etc etc. People seem to be underestimating last season's achievement, and certainly the importance of it.

It's all very well quoting the likes of Allardyce and Bassett when saying that fans wouldn't want combative or defensive football at SJP, but how about using the likes of Revie and Clough instead ? Both of these highly successful managers started out building teams that were hard to beat - Revie had Bremner, Giles, Charlton and Hunter and Clough sat in his car all night outside Roy McFarland's house so he could get him at CH before Liverpool did ; he also signed MacKay who, although being a good footballer, was a hard sod who could mix it - ask Len White......

People hated Leeds because of their physical approach but the Leeds fans couldn't care less because they were, with Liverpool, the most successful team in the country.

It's only when the basement football is unsuccessful that fans start whingeing about it - and Allardyce was NOT successful at SJP.

Those moaning about how 'negative' we're going to be this season and how theyd rather we went out and played free-flowing, attacking football are fucking morons. Number 1, the season hasnt started yet, therefore we've no idea how we'll actually play. 2, we played some decent stuff at home last year, so hopefully that will continue. And thirdly, a 1-0 win feels so much better than a loss, no matter how entertaining the game was.

Guest Antigalican

Agree with the footballing points (not necessarily the "morons" comment!!)

I will add, as I was alluding to on the other thread, its often from grinding out results that players gain valuable experience and confidence, that then enables them (hopefully) to become better footballers who can play a more expansive game.

If we go out and get dicked 6-0 at Old Trafford trying to play gung-ho football that could have a catastophic effect on the team's confidence.

GL 'Have you got any money to spend, Chris?'

CH 'Yes but you have to realise this club is in a very different place to where it was only a few years ago in terms of what we can spend on players but I do expect to sign new players before the start of the season'

Said Ranger, Donaldson, Vuckic, Ferguson should feature at some point this season.

Krul and Forster both pushing Harper very hard for no.1.

Experience of being caretaker at Spurs and here helpful in his own development among other things.

Understands some calls for a more experienced manager to come in but feels he has earned the right to manage Newcastle United in the Premier League.

Hughton is shit at golf but should be good given how many people have tried to make him play and how good some of the lads are.

Job takes over his life, has no time for hobbies, very difficult to switch off 'I'm pretty boring really'.

Asked if the club would be better off with new owners - No, we needed stability and support, we got it and were able to strengthen in January, stability is the key and we have it. Next stage is to become an established side in the PL.

No idea how long to establish back in Europe, said he would be an idiot to speculate. Has to be realistic.

Aim to become steady PL side, once achieved then push on get club back to where it should be challenging for Europe etc.

England were shit at the World Cup.

Nowt new really but there you go.

Guest firetotheworks

She wrote an open letter to NUFC about a year ago about not 'loving' us anymore. She's worse than Piers Morgan.

Aye, I was going to bring that up. She's no fan.