The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

That's what PMs are for, but I agree with most of what JH has said.

There's certainly a prevailing attitude on here that attaches huge significance to 1-0 wins, but sticks it head firmly in the wet sand of low expectations when we perform terribly and lose.

Sounds a bit like your appearances in the Colo thread :lol:

If Hughton has a set of balls he should have the players in this morning to analyse where it went wrong yesterday.

One of Hughton's qualities is that he doesn't over-react. Win or lose, the slate is wiped clean and he gets the players focused on the next match. Since he's been in charge, the team has always been able to shake off the odd dip in form.

Our two most important and least replacable players (ie Barton and Tiote) were out yesterday.

His biggest weakness is that he doesn't react at all.

Often in the dressing room and training ground?

Or should he do all his work through the media?

Matches too.  His inability to see something is wrong & attempt to change it is baffling.

Yesterday was the first time this year where I'd question the effort. For that alone, Hughton should has issued a bollocking. His softly softy approach isn't always appropriate.

M4- to be fair I've not called anyone a cunt.

If you said what you did to someone's face in the aftermath of a game like yesterday, just being called a cunt would be one of the better outcomes you could hope for.

And I also agree that being called an imposter, fake fan etc... is more offensive.

I feel so sorry for him, its his job on the line but the fat fker of an owner won't back him with funds and help him so the job, surely even Ashley can see we have a piss poor thin squad and no manager in the word could work wonders with what we have.

I am terrified at what he will do next, if Hughton gets the boot we really are in massive trouble.

In regards to him saying he doesn't want to sign anyone in January, he also said when speculation about his job was going about (well it still is but at it's peak a few weeks back) that he wasn't sure what was happening but he wanted to be here in January and the summer for negotiations and what not.

Pretty sure he also said last January we wouldn't sign anyone.

Yesterday was the first time this year where I'd question the effort. For that alone, Hughton should has issued a bollocking. His softly softy approach isn't always appropriate.

I think we have to wait for the next game before deciding whether Hughton's reaction was appropriate.

If Hughton has a set of balls he should have the players in this morning to analyse where it went wrong yesterday.

One of Hughton's qualities is that he doesn't over-react. Win or lose, the slate is wiped clean and he gets the players focused on the next match. Since he's been in charge, the team has always been able to shake off the odd dip in form.

Our two most important and least replacable players (ie Barton and Tiote) were out yesterday.

Matches too.  His inability to see something is wrong & attempt to change it is baffling.

Can't we have a bit more faith in the man and his methods? He's not exactly done badly so far. In just over a year, he's taken a train wreck of a club to mid-table in the Premiership. With only a modest outlay, performances and morale have improved beyond recognition.

Can't we have a bit more faith in the man and his methods? He's not exactly done badly so far. In just over a year, he's taken a train wreck of a club to mid-table in the Premiership. With only a modest outlay, performances and morale have improved beyond recognition.

But he doesn't kick off in post match interviews...

Guest sicko2ndbest

If its left until mid-end of January, the window will be a right off

No decent player worth his salt will go to a club for a manager that has no stability

As has been said for a long time, January will be a good time to judge any of that, once we've had some difficult home games to go with the easy ones we've wasted so far.

I'll be as happy as anyone if he proves he's the man to take us forward, but he hasn't done that as yet.  We could do without the upheaval of a new manager, but that's not a reason to stick with the one we've got if those in charge feel he's not up to it.

Hasn't CH already said he won't be adding to the squad in January?

Although given the bullshit he spouted in the summer, it's difficult to know what to believe.

As has been said for a long time, January will be a good time to judge any of that, once we've had some difficult home games to go with the easy ones we've wasted so far.

I'll be as happy as anyone if he proves he's the man to take us forward, but he hasn't done that as yet.  We could do without the upheaval of a new manager, but that's not a reason to stick with the one we've got if those in charge feel he's not up to it.

:kasper: Surely he has taken us as forward as we could possibly expect considering where the club was at and where it still is in many ways regarding the players left over from previously and the lack of cash etc? I didn't expect to win the championship with that state of a team and also didn't expect to be doing as well as we are this season not to mention some of the signings he has made on a shoestring, the general morale of the squad and the way certain players have come on leaps and bounds under him.

:kasper: Surely he has taken us as forward as we could possibly expect considering where the club was at and where it still is in many ways regarding the players left over from previously and the lack of cash etc? I didn't expect to win the championship with that state of a team and also didn't expect to be doing as well as we are this season not to mention some of the signings he has made on a shoestring, the general morale of the squad and the way certain players have come on leaps and bounds under him.

Yeah, but.

What hasn't helped Hughton in a way is that we haven't really scraped wins or been lucky when we've won. When we've picked up 3 points we've generally been very impressive. In contrast our bad performances have been pretty awful. It's frustrating that there's no middle ground and fuels the idea that he doesn't quite warrant a long term contract. As a club this season we've been completely schizophrenic.

This period now is going to be his toughest test, and ours as supporters for a long time. Providing everyone works together we'll pull through, and as long as no fickle fuckers turn their backs on the team and Hughton we can push on. Hughton is the man to take us forward, providing he receives the backing he deserves from both us in the stands and them in the board room.

What Hughton has achieved thus far is nothing short of amazing - just look at 'Boro who were favourites to get promoted this season. Last year - many were writing us off pre-season.

Anyway - who would you replace him with who would actually come here in this scenario???

At this stage is our rebuilding I personally think schizophrenic is good!  If after few more transfer windows no progress has been made then some of the criticism would be warranted but at this stage I think Hughton is doing better than most expected.

Giving managers such a short time to prove themselves sets a very dangerous precedent.  Does Hughton's replacement go after a few months as well if we aren't top 8?  Likewise with his replacement?

Given the players we kept, we should have been getting promoted. 

Now we're in the Premier League again, we need someone to keep us there and build on it.  If he proves to be that man then good. As I've already said (and you've obviously chosen to ignore) January will be a decent time to tell how it's going. :thup:

At this stage is our rebuilding I personally think schizophrenic is good!  If after few more transfer windows no progress has been made then some of the criticism would be warranted but at this stage I think Hughton is doing better than most expected.

Giving managers such a short time to prove themselves sets a very dangerous precedent.  Does Hughton's replacement go after a few months as well if we aren't top 8?  Likewise with his replacement?

And if we get relegated? We can't wait and be patient if it is as clear as day that we are heading for the drop. It's completely unreasonable to hold of criticism in a situation like that.

Not that im in any way saying that at this moment in time we look likely to get relegated. If we survive, which i really do think we will, then of course we should give Hughton plenty of time to rebuild, because anything else is unrealistic. However, as i mentioned above, if later in the season it really looks likely that shit will hit the fan, criticism is more than justified.

Guest firetotheworks

Now we're in the Premier League again, we need someone to keep us there and build on it.  If he proves to be that man then good. As I've already said (and you've obviously chosen to ignore) January will be a decent time to tell how it's going. :thup:

As someone that I imagine has followed football for a long time, I'm surprised that you'd spin that old rubbish. With the players Real Madrid have had over the years, they should be winning the Champions League pretty much every season, but didn't. Such a rubbish argument.

Given the players we kept, we should have been getting promoted

Lots of shoulds in football.

Absolutely.  If we hadn't do you still think Hughton would be in a job?

As someone that I imagine has followed football for a long time, I'm surprised that you'd spin that old rubbish. With the players Real Madrid have had over the years, they should be winning the Champions League pretty much every season, but didn't. Such a rubbish argument.

Not really.  Our pool of players were far better than any other set in that division.

It would have been totally unacceptable not to get promoted.

Guest firetotheworks

Absolutely.  If we hadn't do you still think Hughton would be in a job?