The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hughton: "So how do you think you did lads?"

Kevin Nolan: "I was mint"

Alan Smith: "Get the kettle on fuckhead (leans forward with hands outsretched for a quick strangle)"

Nicky Butt: "I'm Nicky fucking Butt bitch"

Hughton: "Ok, so we're happy?"

Kevin Nolan: "Yep"

Hughton: "Ok, good."

Guest firetotheworks

Giving the players a kick up the arse through the media isn't the right way to go about it. He won't expect the players to openly criticise him in the media, same works with the players. This kind of thing should stay in house, show a united front in the press but tell the players in the dressing room to sort it out.

:thup:

It was so fucking obvious how much better we'd look with 2 natural wingers on the pitch and two upfront. How come it took him till the last 15 minutes for him to make the change? Should have been done at half time and we'd have won this game.

Grow a pair Hughton ffs

It was so f***ing obvious how much better we'd look with 2 natural wingers on the pitch and two upfront. How come it took him till the last 15 minutes for him to make the change? Should have been done at half time and we'd have won this game.

Grow a pair Hughton ffs

Cos he's a negative tactician. Always has been.

I don't want to lay into him too much, this season was and is massive for us. We absolutely have to get promoted this year, if we don't then I can see us being in the Championship for a very long time.

Whatever you say about him, he's got the players playing as a team, there seems to be a good spirit in the dressing room and that combined with some players who are too good for this division have carried us to where we are this season.

So he does deserve some credit, because I think he's steadied the ship a bit and gotten what was a rotten dressing room functioning as a unit.

However, today was a good indicator of why this guy has absolutely no business managing us if we're in the Premiership next season. His uselessness in terms of team selection and in game adjustments basically threw away 2 points today, and if Wellens had stayed on the field then I don't see any way where we don't lose today.

You can't just throw away points because you're manager doesn't know what he's doing and expect to do anything in the Premiership. Sadly, I can't see Ashley having the brains to get someone else in this summer if we do go up and we'll be more than likely set to come straight back down again.

That's probably the most level-headed contribution to the debate so far. I quite like Hughton, he defends his players in public and he's clearly got a great team ethic running through the team, but his team selections have bordered on ridiculous. It was a poorly balanced team he set out with, but after the sending off to continue with one striker up front until the 75th min was appalling.

Guest Stephen927

I don't want to lay into him too much, this season was and is massive for us. We absolutely have to get promoted this year, if we don't then I can see us being in the Championship for a very long time.

Whatever you say about him, he's got the players playing as a team, there seems to be a good spirit in the dressing room and that combined with some players who are too good for this division have carried us to where we are this season.

So he does deserve some credit, because I think he's steadied the ship a bit and gotten what was a rotten dressing room functioning as a unit.

However, today was a good indicator of why this guy has absolutely no business managing us if we're in the Premiership next season. His uselessness in terms of team selection and in game adjustments basically threw away 2 points today, and if Wellens had stayed on the field then I don't see any way where we don't lose today.

You can't just throw away points because you're manager doesn't know what he's doing and expect to do anything in the Premiership. Sadly, I can't see Ashley having the brains to get someone else in this summer if we do go up and we'll be more than likely set to come straight back down again.

That's probably the most level-headed contribution to the debate so far. I quite like Hughton, he defends his players in public and he's clearly got a great team ethic running through the team, but his team selections have bordered on ridiculous. It was a poorly balanced team he set out with, but after the sending off to continue with one striker up front until the 75th min was appalling.

I can't defend his tactical decisions, but in terms of post game comments he can't say anymore really than he does, I agree with that.

We saw how the game changed when he went 4-4-2, it just came too late, unfortunately.

IF Hughton was to get sackd who would you want in?

He wont be sacked this season even if we start dropping down the table.

I hope we get him some serious help in the coaching department or hire a new manager over the summer though. Not my ideal pick but i have a feeling Mark Hughes will be sniffing around. Ashley likes him too.

Guest firetotheworks

The man for us if we go up would be Mark Hughes imo. Used to working under oppression, and decent enough to get us a good grounding in the league, whilst still being realistic.

The man for us if we go up would be Mark Hughes imo. Used to working under oppression, and decent enough to get us a good grounding in the league, whilst still being realistic.

Hughes would be ace.

Agree with all of it apart from the fact that I have a feeling MA will change manager in the summer if we go up.

Really?

Where does any such faith in Ashley come from?

I really, really can't see it.

The first signs that he is beginning to get it is the decent window we're having. Good solid purchases and in Routledge an inspired one. The other thing is if he doesn;t change it in the summer a run of losses will make him act. Whichever way it goes hughton won't be in charge next Christmas.

It'll be the latter, I reckon.

We'll end up with someone coming in at the halfway point of the season trying to save our bacon. If he does, great. If not, it'll basically have been a complete waste of two years (Butt will probably be gone though, on the plus side). I just don't think Ashley has a clue how to run a football club, and he never will. Judging by Llambias' contributions thus far, he's not particularly good at selecting people to do it for him either.

Bit early to call Routledge an inspired signing. :lol:

Hughton: "So how do you think you did lads?"

Kevin Nolan: "I was mint"

Alan Smith: "Yeah, me too"

Nicky Butt: "I'm Nicky fucking Butt bitch"

Hughton: "Ok, so we're happy?"

Kevin Nolan: "Yep"

Hughton: "Ok, good."

:lol:

Guest firetotheworks

I always imagine Hughton ringing The Samaritans.

'It's H here, I just feel trapped. I'm being bullied at work...'

'Do they call you names?

etc etc

Would love Coppell or Hughes. I have an image in my head of Coppell's teams playing quite good football, is there any basis to this or am I imagining things? Either way, seems like the sort of guy that could take a look at the squad and go about fixing it.

I noticed yesterday that Nolan had to be brought back to the dugout because he stood berating Hughton after he was taken off. He was not a happy chappy at all.

Hughton  cannot be disappointed with a point (although 3,200 supporters should be fucking furious) because at 5-20pm that is exactly what he set out to achieve. At 5-50pm it could and should have been game on.

Still don't know what to make of him tbh. Can we consider him a rookie making rookie mistakes? It IS his first full time managerial job afterall. Would we be saying the same thing had it been Shearer or say Speed in their first full season as manager?

Hughton has been in football long enough to be able to make basic footballing decisions.