The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

That doesn't come close to telling the story. Clear-cut chances have been rare, so far.

Doesnt come close to telling the story you want to tell but those stats back up what i said. That our performances are decent and we are creating equal if not more chances than the opposition. We were about as bad as we have been all season second half against Stoke but even then we created a clear cut chance that should have got the equaliser. Anyway, if ohmelads sees it my way, thats all i need to know.

And lovely to see merlin making a tit of himself as he was trying to be a contrary mary with me. What sort of idiot berates someone for using statistics in one sentence and demands statistics on the numbers of saves against us in the next? What a tit.

As I mentioned before, surely a shot heading towards the target but blocked or deflected away by a defender is classed as a 'shot on target'. Think it is anyway.

So those stats don't necessarily tell you how many saves we forced.

They usualy classes as "shots blocked". They are on the SS website anyway.

Well done - does that mean 'NEARLY a goal, VERY nearly a goal, or just that the person making the shot was too slow to get past the defender...!?

Lies, Damned lies - then Statisitics ; Stoke - we LOST, Blackpool, LOST, Man C LOST - those are the facts,nothing will change them.

Probably the most contradictory post i've ever read.

You really are struggling now, aren't you ? A Spin Doctor ? On what planet do you live ? Spin Doctors are people employed by New Labour ; I thought this was a football forum.....do you know what Catenaccio is(or was ?), Probably not because you are too young, but it was the art of defensive football perfected by Inter Milan in the 60's/70s- believe me, Stoke are NO Inter and if you can't see that instead of bigging them up to be a team we should be glad to squeeze a narrow defeat from, then its no wonder that people think the fans of this club are easily conned  - you bring low expectation down to a new level - congratulations !

You're actually trying to talk to someone about their expectation levels & you're moaning about us not creating many chances against a stoke side who had the 5th most clean sheets in premier league last season while we stand as a side who have just been promoted. Ofcourse thats irrelevant because theyre not Inter Milan, brilliant.

Then bringing up nonsense about how we'd have done in the mid 90's in another post completely bizarre illogical waffling.

Man city, Stoke & Everton actually have three very good defences believe it or not. Us not creating loads in our position really shouldnt be that suprising. We created more than enough against Blackpool & Wolves and should have won both games. Its more suprising that we were the first side to score a decent goal against Man city in the prem all season, with them having just played Chelsea.

Stop the overly negative whining.

Forget a higher level right now. That's the reason I love him, he's giving us stability. He's not dragging us down, and he's not building up our expectations for a massive fall, and that's why he's been so great in my opinion. We havn't got on his back, he hasn't been a monumental pig-headed fuck up, and it's worked well. In terms of us consolidating our position in the Premiership, I feel we're a perfect match :smitten:

You really are struggling now, aren't you ? A Spin Doctor ? On what planet do you live ? Spin Doctors are people employed by New Labour ; I thought this was a football forum.....do you know what Catenaccio is(or was ?), Probably not because you are too young, but it was the art of defensive football perfected by Inter Milan in the 60's/70s- believe me, Stoke are NO Inter and if you can't see that instead of bigging them up to be a team we should be glad to squeeze a narrow defeat from, then its no wonder that people think the fans of this club are easily conned  - you bring low expectation down to a new level - congratulations !

You're actually trying to talk to someone about their expectation levels & you're moaning about us not creating many chances against a stoke side who had the 5th most clean sheets in premier league last season while we stand as a side who have just been promoted. Ofcourse thats irrelevant because theyre not Inter Milan, brilliant.

Then bringing up nonsense about how we'd have done in the mid 90's in another post completely bizarre illogical waffling.

Man city, Stoke & Everton actually have three very good defences believe it or not. Us not creating loads in our position really shouldnt be that suprising. We created more than enough against Blackpool & Wolves and should have won both games. Its more suprising that we were the first side to score a decent goal against Man city in the prem all season, with them having just played Chelsea.

When I have to take advice from the likes of air-heads such as you I will start to get worried.

Go back to the Fairy Land you usually inhabit because I have no time for you - I will not answer any more of your brainless posts. As for the 90s, you were only a kid...have you grown up yet ?

When I have to take advice from the likes of air-heads such as you I will start to get worried.

Go back to the Fairy Land you usually inhabit because I have no time for you - I will not answer any more of your brainless posts. As for the 90s, you were only a kid...have you grown up yet ?

:facepalm:

There's no point getting bogged down in talk about saves or shots on target. If a winger gets to the byline and flashes the ball across goal but noone can get there to tap it in, it's not even a shot off target and there's no save, but it's still a glorious chance. If a through ball narrowly misses its man and the keeper sweeps it up, it's a dangerous move that didn't quite come off. Williamson's point blank header that just went over at the end is a huge chance, but the stats say a shot off target and no save. Football is about fine margins, espescially at the top level, and it's about creativity. Talking about statistics is irrelevant unless you believe in the Allardyce model of playing a percentages game and launching balls into certain areas and so on. It's a creative game.

I think on the whole we're doing alright, but I'm also worried by our lack of quality up front, namely the strikers. Carroll's not bad, Ameobi for all his flaws will have to do as backup. Xisco and Ranger don't get a look in either way and Best is a substandard crock.

I've seen enough from our midfield and defence to believe we can take points off a good few teams in this division and be safe come the end of it but much will depend on keeping key players fit and the strikers hitting form. Realistically, given Ben Arfa's injury, Ashley must open his wallet in January and sign a striker. Hughton said his transfer business was done but that was before Ben Arfa's leg break. We are a bit weak in right midfield too but the priority is a forward.

The only criticism I have of Hughton is his negative tactics at home. One striker up front against all but the top teams isn't good enough at home, we are the home side and most bookies would have us favourites in those games. Teams will get men behind the ball and we will dominate possession, so it's imperative we get bodies into the box for the midfielders to aim for. The performances have looked decent to be honest and fans of other clubs have told me the same. But in a game of fine margins like football you need the forwards who can turn a good performance into a good result and we seem to lack that at the moment.

There's no point getting bogged down in talk about saves or shots on target. If a winger gets to the byline and flashes the ball across goal but noone can get there to tap it in, it's not even a shot off target and there's no save, but it's still a glorious chance. If a through ball narrowly misses its man and the keeper sweeps it up, it's a dangerous move that didn't quite come off. Williamson's point blank header that just went over at the end is a huge chance, but the stats say a shot off target and no save. Football is about fine margins, espescially at the top level, and it's about creativity. Talking about statistics is irrelevant unless you believe in the Allardyce model of playing a percentages game and launching balls into certain areas and so on. It's a creative game.

I think on the whole we're doing alright, but I'm also worried by our lack of quality up front, namely the strikers. Carroll's not bad, Ameobi for all his flaws will have to do as backup. Xisco and Ranger don't get a look in either way and Best is a substandard crock.

I've seen enough from our midfield and defence to believe we can take points off a good few teams in this division and be safe come the end of it but much will depend on keeping key players fit and the strikers hitting form. Realistically, given Ben Arfa's injury, Ashley must open his wallet in January and sign a striker. Hughton said his transfer business was done but that was before Ben Arfa's leg break. We are a bit weak in right midfield too but the priority is a forward.

The only criticism I have of Hughton is his negative tactics at home. One striker up front against all but the top teams isn't good enough at home, we are the home side and most bookies would have us favourites in those games. Teams will get men behind the ball and we will dominate possession, so it's imperative we get bodies into the box for the midfielders to aim for. The performances have looked decent to be honest and fans of other clubs have told me the same. But in a game of fine margins like football you need the forwards who can turn a good performance into a good result and we seem to lack that at the moment.

O0

Fantastic deconstruction of the stats based bullshit too many people get caught up in, the part about wingers getting to the byline and getting crosses in which are wasted bcause no one is getting into the box (usually because they are too slow or lazy) is a case in point.

Anyway, this isn't the right time to criticise Hughton. Despite all the blows in that game against City the side showed plenty of character and fight, and that's to Hughton's credit. It might yet be enough for us to steer clear of trouble this season even if the fire power looks weak so far.

To cut a long story short he hasn;t done much wrong apart from being too conservative at home. To survive we have to start racking up home wins. The team spirit is good and Tiote is a monster in midfield. In an ideal world we will do some business in Jan for another striker with more mobility and pace.

Notice that Bellamy has come out and said we came in for him. I have to say Hughton seems to have a hell of a hitrate going for exactly the players I think we need at the time. I don't think any other manager has come close to how godamn sensible/logical this bloke is.  :lol:

Ok, I guess it's still early days, but it's very rare, and very very welcome. :clap2:

Notice that Bellamy has come out and said we came in for him. I have to say Hughton seems to have a hell of a hitrate going for exactly the players I think we need at the time. I don't think any other manager has come close to how godamn sensible/logical this bloke is.  :lol:

Ok, I guess it's still early days, but it's very rare, and very very welcome. :clap2:

Yep. I don't agree with his use of subs or his love of Nolan, but his signings have been top notch this season. Ben Arfa and Tiote would grace better sides than us at this point in time. Absolute class players.

where has he said this?

where has he said this?

909 or 693 mw. Will probs be on the beebs website at some point.

Guest Ridzuan

I would take Bellamy back on any day. We should have gone for him during the transfer window. His great talent is being wasted at Cardiff.

Guest Roger Kint

I would take Bellamy back on any day. We should have gone for him during the transfer window. His great talent is being wasted at Cardiff.

Did you not even bother to read the post re Bellamy?  :kinnear:

Guest Ridzuan

Did you not even bother to read the post re Bellamy?  :kinnear:

What I meant was we should have put in more effort at getting him here.

Guest Roger Kint

He would have still ended up at Cardiff. The player(and more importantly his family) had theirs hearts set on going home, we dont have any clue how much effort we put in to get him, just that he wanted to go there.

Similar to how Ben Arfa had his heart set here and was never going to go anywhere else, Bellamy was going to Cardiff from day 1.

I think it was also down to a policy from Man City of not letting their good players go to Premier League rivals. The same reason Shay Given didn't manage a move.

I would think that, if City had been open to it, Bellamy would have played another 1-3 seasons for a Prem team then moved to Cardiff for the last couple of years of his career later.

It may have already been covered but does anyone else think Hughton's general niceness is what has lead to use getting some shoddy refereeing decisions over the past few weeks? Think about it, when we played Everton we were on the wrong end of some hilariously bad officiating when a week earlier Moyes had a huge bust up with a referee. Against City I got the feeling Atkinson was always looking for the decision which made his life easier rather than the correct one and nine times out of ten that was to give City the benefit of the doubt. Lets face it, Mancini is much more likely to take his concerns to the media than Hughton, who was still very magnanimous after the match despite having a word or two.

I'm glad the club have complained about refereeing, maybe that'll make them think twice about blowing up in the opposition's favour.