The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Not really, tbh. If we're still winning games, I'll be happy. You want us to be playing like Arsenal next season?

That's one massive "if."  Of course I want us to play like Arsenal next season and I'm sure most others would feel the same, I have no expectations of that happening though.  I would guess that would be the same answer 99 times if you asked a hundred Newcastle fans, I doubt anybody wants us to play shit.  It seems like a daft question really.  :lol:

You wally! :lol: You know what I mean. We don't have the personnel to play like Arsenal and we certainly don't have the time or coaching staff to implement their playing philosophy. My point is that surely our aim next season is to stay up, not play nice football?

I think a large amount of this debate depends on the business we do in the summer. These signings of Williamson, Routledge and Simpson will look good if they end up making, say, 8-12 starts each. If, however, they end up making considerably more than that, as haven't brought in enough PL standard players over the summer, then the whole thing is a disaster and Mick and LLLO's prophecy will be fulfilled.

I don't really have a prophecy, more a worry that we'll have too much to do and Williamson and Routledge both look capable of making it next season.  My worry is the 4 players which I still think we'll need to have in our first 11.  We could have brought in a loan player or two in either midfield or up front with the possibility of keeping them if they worked out.  I can't work out the thinking behind the signing of Best unless he was on a free transfer.  I think his fee and wages could have been better spent on loan players and the same goes for Hall who we could have done without for the 3 games he's played so far.

I think a large amount of this debate depends on the business we do in the summer. These signings of Williamson, Routledge and Simpson will look good if they end up making, say, 8-12 starts each. If, however, they end up making considerably more than that, as haven't brought in enough PL standard players over the summer, then the whole thing is a disaster and Mick and LLLO's prophecy will be fulfilled.

I don't really have a prophecy, more a worry that we'll have too much to do and Williamson and Routledge both look capable of making it next season.  My worry is the 4 players which I still think we'll need to have in our first 11.  We could have brought in a loan player or two in either midfield or up front with the possibility of keeping them if they worked out.  I can't work out the thinking behind the signing of Best unless he was on a free transfer.  I think his fee and wages could have been better spent on loan players and the same goes for Hall who we could have done without for the 3 games he's played so far.

That and the fact that we are playing the same negative tactics we played last season under Hughton are my main worry, in a division which is far, far worse.

Until the last 3-4 home games it seems like the players aren't allowed to express themselves or go out and really have a go at teams.  Whether or not that's Hughton telling them specifically not to do it I don't know, but he's the manager so you have to assume so.  It just looks as though he has no confidence in the players to play any other way (particularly away from home) even though we look to be the best team in the division by a fucking mile. 

If we play that way again next season we'll be absolutely fucked before a ball is kicked. 

Can't believe some of the twisting on here.  We are 8 points clear of third with a game in hand and only 12 games left for Forest.  It is difficult to see what else clipboard Chris could do.  I have my doubts too over whether he could help us survive in the elite, I also wonder which players we'll buy etc. However, we can't realistically deal in such intangiables.  It looks like we're going up and I, for one, am determined to enjoy it.

I think any twisting this season will be minimal compared to next and I also think most of the twisting next season will be by those who are complaining about twisting this season.  I enjoyed the game today because of one player who I think made the difference between us getting 3 points or not, I've no complaints about today.

You wally! :lol: You know what I mean. We don't have the personnel to play like Arsenal and we certainly don't have the time or coaching staff to implement their playing philosophy. My point is that surely our aim next season is to stay up, not play nice football?

:lol:

I know what you meant and agree with you mainly but think we could have done more this season. 

:lol:

I know what you meant and agree with you mainly but think we could have done more this season. 

Yes. I think a more experienced manager would've been more confident in making changes and putting his own mark on the team. I'm just trying to give props to Hughton as he's done the best job he could, and one which, hopefully, will see us promoted.

We are top of the league and looking good to go up, this thread is getting so boring with those who are soo desperate to moan they will go for any excuse.

West brom and forest are playing a lot more attractive football than us, so what? Anyone fancy swapping positions with them?

Maybe I have missed the clear difference in ability that we have all over the pitch that has meant it was impossible for Hughton to have us anywhere but this position at this stage of the season.

Maybe it's purely down to luck, that seems to be one of the popular excuses as to why it isn't just Hughton doing a decent job.

We are top of the league and looking good to go up, this thread is getting so boring with those who are soo desperate to moan they will go for any excuse.

West brom and forest are playing a lot more attractive football than us, so what? Anyone fancy swapping positions with them?

Maybe I have missed the clear difference in ability that we have all over the pitch that has meant it was impossible for Hughton to have us anywhere but this position at this stage of the season.

Maybe it's purely down to luck, that seems to be one of the popular excuses as to why it isn't just Hughton doing a decent job.

Happens when you don't see that many of our games though.  :fishing:

Yes. I think a more experienced manager would've been more confident in making changes and putting his own mark on the team. I'm just trying to give props to Hughton as he's done the best job he could, and one which, hopefully, will see us promoted.

I think Hughton is the nicest manager we've had since we sacked Bobby and we owe him a lot for what he has done.  I'd love him to prove me wrong and do well and I'll be the first to say so.  Promotion is a must but if we get it should we really gamble our Premiership status on giving a nice bloke his chance because of this season? 

In an ideal world the answer would be yes, in the real world the answer should be no.  I'm not sure what he lacks is down to inexperience, I think he's naturally cautious and that could go either way.  We could either benefit from that or suffer, I don’t think we have the personnel for us to benefit from it long term.

I don't really want to dwell on this tonight, I'd rather enjoy where we are.

I think Hughton is the nicest manager we've had since we sacked Bobby and we owe him a lot for what he has done. I'd love him to prove me wrong and do well and I'll be the first to say so. Promotion is a must but if we get it should we really gamble our Premiership status on giving a nice bloke his chance because of this season?

In an ideal world the answer would be yes, in the real world the answer should be no. I'm not sure what he lacks is down to inexperience, I think he's naturally cautious and that could go either way. We could either benefit from that or suffer, I don’t think we have the personnel for us to benefit from it long term.

I don't really want to dwell on this tonight, I'd rather enjoy where we are.

Agree with most of that. I think it's inevitable he'll be in charge first game next season. You're right to say he's naturally cautious but in his spells in charge he's been placed in a position that amplifies that cautiousness. I really hope next season he'll blossom into a beautiful managerial butterfly. :lol:

I'm starting to warm to Hughton. I don't think people appreciate his position. He's new to the management game, and he's under massive, massive pressure to get promotion this season. He's found a winning formula and is sticking to it. And he's certainly not likely to start tweaking now. Let's get promotion, I don't give a f*** how, tbh.

You'll give a f*** how next season.

Not really, tbh. If we're still winning games, I'll be happy. You want us to be playing like Arsenal next season?

I'd like to think that Hughton will aim to progress us like Moyes did with Everton who were a pretty functional team to begin with at the start of his managerial career there. He built a solid base and has gradually added some skill and craft in the last season or two. That's me being optimistic though, Hughton might turn out to be out of his depth next season but no one knows that at this present time.

Birmingham played like this last season and i'd rip my cock off if we do as well as they have next season (if we go up).

Very very fair point. I remember feeling similarly disgusted by how poor and boring they were last season.

Lets face it, any manager would struggle next seaon if we keep Smith and Nolan and do not add to that.  Assuming we invest (if we go up) my bigger concern would be who we bring in more that who manages the players.

Hughton more than deserves his chance IMO

lets take what we've learned of hughton as manager, firstly he's got the defence acting like one rather than an impression of one, now some would say its down to shit quality of attackers and our defenders being better and thats a fair point but our defence actually now behaves as a unit rather than a group of individuals like they usually do and williamson has slotted in perfectly in place of saylor. He seems to want to build from the back which is a good way to build a side imo rather than from front backwards.

secondly team spirit is excellent and considering where the morale must have been at the start of pre-season thats an excellent achievement.

thirdly he's not afraid to change the side if it hasn't worked in the previous game and only plays butt when theres a lack of other options. Plus when he finds a system that works he doesn't change for the sake of it.

4thly mostly good signings in loan and permanent transfers. the only ones that havent worked out are zurab who wasn't great and best who may come good yet (hey i'm optimistic)

now will he be good enough for prem? who knows but he's surpassed our expectations and deserves a chance imo.

Guest JamesyJazz

lets take what we've learned of hughton as manager, firstly he's got the defence acting like one rather than an impression of one, now some would say its down to s*** quality of attackers and our defenders being better and thats a fair point but our defence actually now behaves as a unit rather than a group of individuals like they usually do and williamson has slotted in perfectly in place of saylor. He seems to want to build from the back which is a good way to build a side imo rather than from front backwards.

secondly team spirit is excellent and considering where the morale must have been at the start of pre-season thats an excellent achievement.

thirdly he's not afraid to change the side if it hasn't worked in the previous game and only plays butt when theres a lack of other options. Plus when he finds a system that works he doesn't change for the sake of it.

4thly mostly good signings in loan and permanent transfers. the only ones that havent worked out are zurab who wasn't great and best who may come good yet (hey i'm optimistic)

now will he be good enough for prem? who knows but he's surpassed our expectations and deserves a chance imo.

Good,well thought out post.All credit to CH,kept his cool when all around him turned to shit.We're top and we'll be promoted because of him.

lets take what we've learned of hughton as manager, firstly he's got the defence acting like one rather than an impression of one, now some would say its down to s*** quality of attackers and our defenders being better and thats a fair point but our defence actually now behaves as a unit rather than a group of individuals like they usually do and williamson has slotted in perfectly in place of saylor. He seems to want to build from the back which is a good way to build a side imo rather than from front backwards.

Good,well thought out post.All credit to CH,kept his cool when all around him turned to s***. We're top and we'll be promoted because of him.

Didn't realise he was our top goalscorer this season.

Good,well thought out post.All credit to CH,kept his cool when all around him turned to s***. We're top and we'll be promoted because of him.

so by your logic we are top because of Nolan/Carroll?

so by your logic we are top because of Nolan/Carroll?

We're top because most of the players have contributed well at different stages of the season.

Shola's goals early on, Nolan & the defence for a spell when he was scoring & we were keeping clean sheets, then Lovenkrands & the purple patch Jonas has had in recent weeks, and now Carroll's goalscoring burst.

Getting them all playing well at the same time is the trick which hasn't been mastered yet.

So we are top because of everything but Hughton? :lol:

Given the downward spiral we have been on for a number of years I just want to take this chance to be happy and appreciate what we have at the moment. If we are always looking to what might go wrong next season when can we ever be happy? We might aswell give up now and admit football is fucking shit! It's not ideal, it's not often pretty but we are winning more than anyone else in this league and as much as some seem to want it to be it isn't in spite of the manager.

We have scored a lot, conceeded very little, are 6 points clear of 2nd and 8 points clear of 3rd with a game in hand! Cheer up you miserable twats! :lol:

Given the downward spiral we have been on for a number of years I just want to take this chance to be happy and appreciate what we have at the moment. If we are always looking to what might go wrong next season when can we ever be happy? We might aswell give up now and admit football is fucking shit! It's not ideal, it's not often pretty but we are winning more than anyone else in this league and as much as some seem to want it to be it isn't in spite of the manager.

We have scored a lot, conceeded very little, are 6 points clear of 2nd and 8 points clear of 3rd with a game in hand! Cheer up you miserable twats! :lol:

pfft positivity is an alien word to nufc fans

Given the downward spiral we have been on for a number of years I just want to take this chance to be happy and appreciate what we have at the moment. If we are always looking to what might go wrong next season when can we ever be happy? We might aswell give up now and admit football is f***ing s***! It's not ideal, it's not often pretty but we are winning more than anyone else in this league and as much as some seem to want it to be it isn't in spite of the manager.

pfft positivity is an alien word to nufc fans

it's the way the country is at the moment,not just us.

Because people are forgetting how god awful we've been at times this season, and how suicidal it was under Hughton in the Premiership.

Dropping a division doesn't suddenly make him a decent manager, just like it doesn't make Nolan an effective midfielder.

I appreciate he took on a difficult job and has steadied the ship somewhat, but the sooner he's demoted back to first team coach, the better IMO. Call me harsh but he's made too many questionable decisions this season, as if hes been trying to test the limits of how poor at finishing the opposition in this league really are.