The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

He really is doing far better than anyone expected. We all critisized FCB for making him manager last year and it looks to be another of his majestic decisions which turn out for the good....

I am delighted with Chris H., can't have done any better TBH, has eventually realised that Nicky and Alan are Shi*e and this bodes well...

I dont understand the whole "it's not Hughton the palyers have got this far off their own backs" craic like. If we had appointed Shearer and we were in the same situation Shearer would be lauded as the best thing since sliced bread. You can gurantee he'd be credited with galvanising the lads and turning it all around while doing a cracking job, however because it's the unfashionable Hughton it's the players who have turned this around by themselves.

I dont understand the whole "it's not Hughton the palyers have got this far off their own backs" craic like. If we had appointed Shearer and we were in the same situation Shearer would be lauded as the best thing since sliced bread. You can gurantee he'd be credited with galvanising the lads and turning it all around while doing a cracking job, however because it's the unfashionable Hughton it's the players who have turned this around by themselves.

bit of a straw man argument as you can't prove that. i've said that our position is more down to having the best players rather than down to hughton, however i was also one of those on here who criticised shearer at the tail end of last season and think he played a part in relegation. had shearer been in the same position i'd have no probs saying the same about him if i thought that was the case.

Guest Howaythetoon

Another thing I like about Hughton, he clearly doesn't care about any personal limelight or glory, he keeps the focus purely about the players and team and not himself which is the way it should be.

The main thing about Hughton is that he seems to be growing with the job. None of us knew what to expect at the start of the season (except for all the doom merchants who were certain we'd go down to League One), and he probably didn't either, but he kept the ship steady and ground out results when all around was chaos and disarray – an owner trying to sell up again, supporters in protest mode etc. That in itself was impressive enough, for all the grumbling about the quality of the football.

Recently he's been able to improve the squad, and, imbued with increased confidence and with a couple of players who have also grown in the situation, we're now playing some decent stuff sometimes and knocking a good few goals in.

Will he keep on growing with the job next season? I think it's worth taking a punt that he will – quite apart from him having earned the chance, which of course he has. We've got something at the moment that we haven't had since SBR was sacked – forward momentum. Albeit starting from a lowly position, but forward momentum nonetheless. In the absence of any other credible candidates, we should be thankful that we've got someone willing and able to work with the current owner and get results.

The main thing about Hughton is that he seems to be growing with the job. None of us knew what to expect at the start of the season (except for all the doom merchants who were certain we'd go down to League One), and he probably didn't either, but he kept the ship steady and ground out results when all around was chaos and disarray an owner trying to sell up again, supporters in protest mode etc. That in itself was impressive enough, for all the grumbling about the quality of the football.

Recently he's been able to improve the squad, and, imbued with increased confidence and with a couple of players who have also grown in the situation, we're now playing some decent stuff sometimes and knocking a good few goals in.

Will he keep on growing with the job next season? I think it's worth taking a punt that he will quite apart from him having earned the chance, which of course he has. We've got something at the moment that we haven't had since SBR was sacked forward momentum. Albeit starting from a lowly position, but forward momentum nonetheless. In the absence of any other credible candidates, we should be thankful that we've got someone willing and able to work with the current owner and get results.

I agree with most of that, I would rather we got in a "proper" manager next season but we have proved since SBR left that is easier said than done.

The main thing about Hughton is that he seems to be growing with the job. None of us knew what to expect at the start of the season (except for all the doom merchants who were certain we'd go down to League One), and he probably didn't either, but he kept the ship steady and ground out results when all around was chaos and disarray an owner trying to sell up again, supporters in protest mode etc. That in itself was impressive enough, for all the grumbling about the quality of the football.

Will he keep on growing with the job next season? I think it's worth taking a punt that he will quite apart from him having earned the chance, which of course he has. We've got something at the moment that we haven't had since SBR was sacked forward momentum. Albeit starting from a lowly position, but forward momentum nonetheless. In the absence of any other credible candidates, we should be thankful that we've got someone willing and able to work with the current owner and get results.

I agree with most of that, I would rather we got in a "proper" manager next season but we have proved since SBR left that is easier said than done.

Yeah... who? A question we might well have to consider in December.

I would take a punt on Mark Hughes tbh, I know his "credibility" was damaged after the City job but I think he is a decent manager.

Yeah, he is, although I really don't like him. Could he work with Ashley? Nobody knows. We know Hughton can, and that's worth something.

I would take a punt on Mark Hughes tbh, I know his "credibility" was damaged after the City job but I think he is a decent manager.

It's a fair shout but we aren't seriously going to bomb out Hughton if we get promotion, in the real world that just doesn't happen. At the moment we don't even know Hughton's capabilities. For all we know he might go on to be one of the shrewdest managers in English football. Hughes would be a good choice otherwise though.

It's a fair shout but we aren't seriously going to bomb out Hughton if we get promotion, in the real world that just doesn't happen. At the moment we don't even know Hughton's capabilities. For all we know he might go on to be one of the shrewdest managers in English football. Hughes would be a good choice otherwise though.

I cannot believe that some of you are praising the bloke to the high heavens and then commenting on replacing him in December. Some of you are even calling him mnot a proper manager.

In my opinion, Chris Hughton deserves a medal as big as a frying pan for what he has achieved, both on and off the park for this club over the past 12 months.

You might want to look back to the days after Keegan walked out in a strop. How many so called managers were allegedly approached to take on one of the most difficult jobs in football with no money to spend? Yeah, I reckon Kinnear was 40th choice. And in the summer, our only option was a bloke who worked on a week by week contract under tthe most severe pressure and yet has bonded the players, the management team, even the fans together with a season beyond anyone elses expectations.

Yeah, lets tell him how great he is now, but we can plan for his failure by December!!!!!!!!! Feck me. Give the bloke a decent chance for gods sake.

Just as a reminder, cast your mind back to 1992 when the lord god almighty cannot do anything wrong, I am so wonderful Kevein Keegan was appointed. How many years management experience did he have?

Chris Hughton will never be another Keegan playing style wise but I believe he has the potential to be another David Moyes type and that can only be good for NUFC.

WELL DONE CHRIS...................BIG FECKIN TIME.

I cannot believe that some of you are praising the bloke to the high heavens and then commenting on replacing him in December. Some of you are even calling him mnot a proper manager.

In my opinion, Chris Hughton deserves a medal as big as a frying pan for what he has achieved, both on and off the park for this club over the past 12 months.

You might want to look back to the days after Keegan walked out in a strop. How many so called managers were allegedly approached to take on one of the most difficult jobs in football with no money to spend? Yeah, I reckon Kinnear was 40th choice. And in the summer, our only option was a bloke who worked on a week by week contract under tthe most severe pressure and yet has bonded the players, the management team, even the fans together with a season beyond anyone elses expectations.

Yeah, lets tell him how great he is now, but we can plan for his failure by December!!!!!!!!! Feck me. Give the bloke a decent chance for gods sake.

Just as a reminder, cast your mind back to 1992 when the lord god almighty cannot do anything wrong, I am so wonderful Kevein Keegan was appointed. How many years management experience did he have?

Chris Hughton will never be another Keegan playing style wise but I believe he has the potential to be another David Moyes type and that can only be good for NUFC.

I admire a lot of the sentiment, but there are a huge number of flaws in the logic. I agree Hughton has done a fantastic job thus far, I still don't think he won't be good enough as a top flight boss. I certainly hope I'm wrong though, not least because he seems a cracking bloke, but mainly because he's 100% guaranteed to have the job once he's taken us up.

The logic is mental. Keegan walked out in a strop...why did the 39 ahead of Kinnear not want the job then? Because Ashley's an utter cunt to work for and no-one worth their salt would have worked for him at that time. I think Hughes would be a superb appointment based mainly on his work for Blackburn but it's all a pipe dream as he won't be appointed.

Don't get me wrong, if Hughton did the job for us that Moyes has done for Everton I'd probably walk around with a constant erection for the next 3 years, I'm desperate for him to do well but I don't think he's got the ability - it's the same with a fair few of the playing staff and in every case I hope I'm wrong and they turn out brilliant next season. I just think it's unrealistic to expect everyone who's done a good job in this league to do well in the PL next season (touch wood..) and that includes the manager.

couple of cracking posts by Ozzie and macca there.

agree with it all.

would love to see the fans get behind hughton. he's done a he'll of a job IMO. yes, he has been suspect tactically at times, but he needs to be allowed to grow as a manager.

long may it continue. I'll certainly be behind him next season.

couple of cracking posts by Ozzie and macca there.

agree with it all.

would love to see the fans get behind hughton. he's done a he'll of a job IMO. yes, he has been suspect tactically at times, but he needs to be allowed to grow as a manager.

long may it continue. I'll certainly be behind him next season.

Despite what I've said above I'm massively behind Hughton, I just fear that he isn't up to it in the long run. Overall he's done a fucking brilliant job this season though.

Yeah, he is, although I really don't like him. Could he work with Ashley? Nobody knows. We know Hughton can, and that's worth something.

Good point. Not sure there are many who would work with Ashley, Hughton may well be the best realistic option.

Guest malandro

I admire a lot of the sentiment, but there are a huge number of flaws in the logic. I agree Hughton has done a fantastic job thus far, I still don't think he won't be good enough as a top flight boss. I certainly hope I'm wrong though, not least because he seems a cracking bloke, but mainly because he's 100% guaranteed to have the job once he's taken us up.

The logic is mental. Keegan walked out in a strop...why did the 39 ahead of Kinnear not want the job then? Because Ashley's an utter c*** to work for and no-one worth their salt would have worked for him at that time. I think Hughes would be a superb appointment based mainly on his work for Blackburn but it's all a pipe dream as he won't be appointed.

Don't get me wrong, if Hughton did the job for us that Moyes has done for Everton I'd probably walk around with a constant erection for the next 3 years, I'm desperate for him to do well but I don't think he's got the ability - it's the same with a fair few of the playing staff and in every case I hope I'm wrong and they turn out brilliant next season. I just think it's unrealistic to expect everyone who's done a good job in this league to do well in the PL next season (touch wood..) and that includes the manager.

Hughton got the job by default and was very lucky to inadvertently end up with the best squad of players in the division. This isn’t to say he hasn’t done decent job, because he has. Only that he hasn’t built a team yet or proved himself in the transfer market. Nor has he shown that he can create something that is greater than the sum of its parts, which is what he’ll need to do next season if we’re to make real progress.

He’s earned the chance to have shot at being a PL manager, but its understandable people have doubts. I certainly do and throwing shit at Keegan isn’t going to dispel them.

How many so called managers were allegedly approached to take on one of the most difficult jobs in football with no money to spend?

wat? i don't see what would've been so difficult in (at least) keeping up Newcastle last season with the squad we've had (btw i'm not disputing that Hughton has done well this season).