The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest neesy111

Had a thought about this while watching the match today.  I think he gains respect in the squad because he's ...I don't want to say "one of the lads" but he's just a genuine football guy and I can only assume that the team senses that.  He cares as much about the sport as they do and they equally love it.  Obviously this doesn't cover all of the facets of management (and more specifically man-management) but it's a good place to start.

The grin on his face after Enrique scored was priceless.

I don't think he only cares about football, I think he cares about the club.

So much so, he can't bear to be away from SJP? Would explain our poor away performances like.

Or maybe the players he had to work with had something to do with it?

The football I saw today was light years away from the start of the season but maybe Hughton's just massively lucky.

'light years away' :lol: It was a good result but let's not brush over the fact we were shit for the first hour.

:dowie:

sorry jonny, first half we dominated, our final ball and finish stopped us being a deserved 1 or 2 ahead

Had a thought about this while watching the match today.  I think he gains respect in the squad because he's ...I don't want to say "one of the lads" but he's just a genuine football guy and I can only assume that the team senses that.  He cares as much about the sport as they do and they equally love it.  Obviously this doesn't cover all of the facets of management (and more specifically man-management) but it's a good place to start.

So much so, he can't bear to be away from SJP? Would explain our poor away performances like.

The football I saw today was light years away from the start of the season but maybe Hughton's just massively lucky.

'light years away' :lol: It was a good result but let's not brush over the fact we were s*** for the first hour.

I must have imagined the reaction to the first half from myself and the people around me. We didn't look like scoring, couldn't stay on our feet, kept giving the ball away and seemed intent on not running into space. It was like a different team after Shola's goal.

'light years away' :lol: It was a good result but let's not brush over the fact we were s*** for the first hour.

I must have imagined the reaction to the first half from myself and the people around me. We didn't look like scoring, couldn't stay on our feet, kept giving the ball away and seemed intent on not running into space. It was like a different team after Shola's goal.

Maybe you should pay less attention to the plebs sat around you and actually watch the game yourself...assuming you aren't one of the plebs it should be said in all fairness.

Went down to the toilet at half time and a lad behind me was saying it was a crap match and he was too cold so he was going to go home.  ;D

Guest neesy111

people saying we were bad first half clearly have short memory's compared to some performances we've seen this season

Went down to the toilet at half time and a lad behind me was saying it was a crap match and he was too cold so he was going to go home.  ;D

there was a lad behind you when you were on the toilet ?

there was a lad behind you when you were on the toilet ?

I didn't have that much pre-match vodka. :D Just on the way down!

Why are we talking about Van Gaal? Isn't he doing alright managing Bayern? or am I mistaken in thinking that??  ???

He is managing Bayern. And after his he probably will end up as the new head coach of the German national team.

A Dutchman managing Germany? Will never happen.

About as likely as Ferguson managing England.

If Löw quits Germany after the World Cup (which is, imo very likely to happen) than I'm going to put my money on Van Gaal. As I'v said - he already said he would be interested. And I don't think it's that unlikely.

you clearly don't know your history

I know it. I know it very well. But it has changed. I know from many people that they would welcome Van Gaal as national coach. Also the media hasn't said anything against it. Still, it is unlikely to happen because he won't be allowed to leave Bayern. But if he was allowed to he would be a realistic candidate.

What about Felix Magath? Very underated coach outside Germany at least. Did very well at Bayern, Wolfsburg of course and his current team Schalke are well in the title hunt.

I think he's smashing. At the pub, post-match, there was a nice, respectful hush when he was giving his interview. I think he's winning over a lot of fans, tbh.

i'm one of them like

As am I. I wasn't even considering keeping him on if we went up for the longest time, but at this point, he's deserved a shot at it.

Why are we talking about Van Gaal? Isn't he doing alright managing Bayern? or am I mistaken in thinking that??  ???

He is managing Bayern. And after his he probably will end up as the new head coach of the German national team.

If Löw quits Germany after the World Cup (which is, imo very likely to happen) than I'm going to put my money on Van Gaal. As I'v said - he already said he would be interested. And I don't think it's that unlikely.

I know it. I know it very well. But it has changed. I know from many people that they would welcome Van Gaal as national coach. Also the media hasn't said anything against it. Still, it is unlikely to happen because he won't be allowed to leave Bayern. But if he was allowed to he would be a realistic candidate.

What about Felix Magath? Very underated coach outside Germany at least. Did very well at Bayern, Wolfsburg of course and his current team Schalke are well in the title hunt.

Felix "Meistermacher" Magath would and should never come here. He would have destroyed our whole team morale in 3 days pre-season. Players like Nolan would be dropped to the reserves.

His training is said to be very hard (training with medicine balls and so on).

The way his teams plays is awful. (Like Bolton under Sam Allardyce or now Stoke = sitting back and waiting for a late 1-0 winner)

He might be successfull but I would never like to have him here.

Hughton for long term  :thup:

If I have learned anything from 30 odd years following theToon.

It is that constantly changing Managers does not bring sucess.

Perhaps it is time we stuck with a Young-ish Manager, through the ups and downs while he gains experience, and builds a competetive squad. Something like what Everton have done with Moyes.

Im also not so dissapointed at the reported new transfer policy, cos ive also learned that trophy signings, and Big time charlies get you knowhere but in Debt.

Felix "Meistermacher" Magath would and should never come here. He would have destroyed our whole team morale in 3 days pre-season. Players like Nolan would be dropped to the reserves.

The way his teams plays is awful. (Like Bolton under Sam Allardyce or now Stoke = sitting back and waiting for a late 1-0 winner)

I was talking about Magath for the German national team not us man ;)

I was talking about Magath for the German national team not us man ;)

Oh, sorry.  :doh:

For them obviously he would be a very good shout actually. Don't know if he would want to do it, though. Probably in 10 years or so as his last "big job".

If I have learned anything from 30 odd years following theToon.

It is that constantly changing Managers does not bring sucess.

Perhaps it is time we stuck with a Young-ish Manager, through the ups and downs while he gains experience, and builds a competetive squad. Something like what Everton have done with Moyes.

Im also not so dissapointed at the reported new transfer policy, cos ive also learned that trophy signings, and Big time charlies get you knowhere but in Debt.

:clap:

I wonder how much Colin Calderwood has to do with all of Hughton's relative success. Players in interviews always seem to mention "Chris and Colin" when referring to the mammoth job being done at bringing the club some stability and ultimately results.

Hughton is clearly coming into his own as a manager. He's even slowly started to develop the persona, and no longer looks like the shy assistant boss he did a while back.

I wonder how much Colin Calderwood has to do with all of Hughton's relative success. Players in interviews always seem to mention "Chris and Colin" when referring to the mammoth job being done at bringing the club some stability and ultimately results.

Hughton is clearly coming into his own as a manager. He's even slowly started to develop the persona, and no longer looks like the shy assistant boss he did a while back.

The post-match suit was what did it for me! He might be planning to gradually introduce it so he can start wearing it during games!

How long is it since we had a manager and a set of players we could actually like BTW? Owner apart, this is the best group for a while.

we werent shit for the first hour. they worked their bollocks off closing down very quick all over which is very hard to keep up, they couldnt keep it up. the extra quality told and we deservedly won.

That's exactly how I saw it. :thup: