Kieron Dyer signs one-year contract extension with QPR

LoveItIfWeBeatU

At the time, I think most of us wanted to upgrade Dyer to a fitter player with good end product, and a perfect attitude. We always want better than what we've got, so with those few easy to find limitations, Dyer was an easy scapegoat for people looking to progress the team further than we were at that stage.

However the top team we had was dismantled and not suffciently replaced and we were worse when he wasn't in the team, yet people forgot the relative success he bought to the club.

Without a doubt the best attacking midfielder we had in the last decade.

That is a post shocking enough to bring me out of a two year retirement.

Dyer was the most overated player we had in the 00's. He dribbling ability consisted of occasionally being able to carry the ball 10 yards and then passing it off.

He was exceptionally quick and had decent movement, but no discernible talent with the ball whatsoever.

He lived off this inflated reputation he earned back in 2001/01 for years; without delivering anything of note.  People talked about Robert / Solano being lightweight and going missing, but this guy did it a hell of a lot in the centre.

At least those two actually had a final end product.

Good riddance to a player who got away with so much, and delivered so little.

At the time, I think most of us wanted to upgrade Dyer to a fitter player with good end product, and a perfect attitude. We always want better than what we've got, so with those few easy to find limitations, Dyer was an easy scapegoat for people looking to progress the team further than we were at that stage.

However the top team we had was dismantled and not suffciently replaced and we were worse when he wasn't in the team, yet people forgot the relative success he bought to the club.

That is a post shocking enough to bring me out of a two year retirement.

Dyer was the most overated player we had in the 00's. He dribbling ability consisted of occasionally being able to carry the ball 10 yards and then passing it off.

He was exceptionally quick and had decent movement, but no discernible talent with the ball whatsoever.

He lived off this inflated reputation he earned back in 2001/01 for years; without delivering anything of note.  People talked about Robert / Solano being lightweight and going missing, but this guy did it a hell of a lot in the centre.

At least those two actually had a final end product.

Good riddance to a player who got away with so much, and delivered so little.

There you have the correct answer.

I am sure Solano might have quite a lot to say about that.  As might numerous other players, but how anyone could ever think Dyer was our best attacking midfielder in the last decade is beyond me.

Solano and Robert play on the wing, I presume James means best attack midfielder we have had that played through the middle.

Who else has been better than Dyer in that position in the previous 10 years?

Yeah sorry, I was in Championship Manager land a little. Think he does run Robert and Solano close though, and then no attacking midfielders that have been at this club in the noughties get close to those three.

I am sure Solano might have quite a lot to say about that.  As might numerous other players, but how anyone could ever think Dyer was our best attacking midfielder in the last decade is beyond me.

Solano and Robert play on the wing, I presume James means best attack midfielder we have had that played through the middle.

That's pretty specific, bearing in mind that in a four man midfield you've now ruled out 2 of the players because they played on the wing and therefore not being included and we usually played with one defensive midfielder AND Dyer played for us for about 5 of the last ten years AND in our most successful period!!

He'd almost get the title by default.. however rubbish he was.

Solano and Robert player on the wing, I presume James means best attack midfielder we have had that played through the middle.

Yeah, that's the way I read it as well - James was exempting our wingers and wide players from comparison. Its a bit self fulfilling though since Dyer was really the only player to get a good run in the 00s in that position. SBR had some slavish notion to play Dyer there at every opportunity no matter how poorly he played it, so its difficult to compare him to anyone else. The only players that got runs in the center midfield could be classified at DCMs (especially when partnered with Dyer): Acuna, Lee, Speed (yes he played DCM when partnered with Dyer in the middle), Butt, and Parker.

As for playing an attacking role in teh middle... well who do you compare him to? He was better than Bowyer... Owen did well in that spot but only had a couple of tries so probably doesn't count... anyone else?

Solano and Robert player on the wing, I presume James means best attack midfielder we have had that played through the middle.

Yeah, that's the way I read it as well - James was exempting our wingers and wide players from comparison. Its a bit self fulfilling though since Dyer was really the only player to get a good run in the 00s in that position. SBR had some slavish notion to play Dyer there at every opportunity no matter how poorly he played it, so its difficult to compare him to anyone else. The only players that got runs in the center midfield could be classified at DCMs (especially when partnered with Dyer): Acuna, Lee, Speed (yes he played DCM when partnered with Dyer in the middle), Butt, and Parker.

As for playing an attacking role in teh middle... well who do you compare him to? He was better than Bowyer... Owen did well in that spot but only had a couple of tries so probably doesn't count... anyone else?

Emre. Nolan, Butt. We certainly missed Dyer when he went, much of the hatred that is still shown by many is very much cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Probably more controversially, I rate Bramble as our second best defender of the past decade after Woodgate.

Nolan was bad last season and has only been good for the last 4 months of the 00s in a lower division - hardly comparable.

And as Hughsey points out, Butt does not count.

I missed Emre... he may have been better than Dyer. I'll have to think on that.

Nolan was bad last season and has only been good for the last 4 months of the 00s in a lower division - hardly comparable.

And as Hughsey points out, Butt does not count.

I missed Emre... he may have been better than Dyer. I'll have to think on that.

Surely the fact that you missed Emre says something?

Was talking about this little c*** retiring last night.  Best bit of business Ashley did since he got here, getting money for the little t*** - pity the proceeds got spent on Alan Smith.  One of the architects of Sir Bobby's demise.  The obnoxious s*** should have been peddled for the derisory manner he 'accepted' the captains armband away at The Smogs.

This. Should never have been allowed to play for us again after that - was a terrible way to treat SBR, the club and the fans.

You should have stuck to your guns on that one. It's true even though people won't like you saying it.

Dyer's technique great???  :mackems:

Seriously the guy had pace and that was about it.  His awareness of what was going on around him was terrible, he couldn't shoot or pass the ball over any kind of distance greater than 5 yards.

The fact he played for us when we were in the Champions League has absolutely no relevance to an analysis of him as a player.  I thought it at the time and I still think it now.  Or are you not allowed to criticise a player who played for us in that era on the basis that they are better than what we have now?  What kind of twisted logic is that??

Go back and watch some highlights, his passes were often pretty incisive. He was involved in a good number of our goals. Never had a huge range of passing but could certainly pick out a pass. I agree that "great" may be stretching it a bit like...

People's judgement of him as a player from his time here has always (generally) been clouded because of his personality and off-field behaviour, unfortunately.

Top quality player, but injured too often unfortunately. Real shame.

Excellent summing up that. :thup:

In the team SBR built he was the player from the centre who could get beyond the opposition and when he did this well we could beat anyone. He had many faults as a player but had he stayed fit and hadn't been such a tit he would have had a fantastic career.

There were times when he was almost unplayable; couldn't shoot for fuck like.

In the team SBR built he was the player from the centre who could get beyond the opposition and when he did this well we could beat anyone. He had many faults as a player but had he stayed fit and hadn't been such a tit he would have had a fantastic career.

There were times when he was almost unplayable; couldn't shoot for fuck like.

One thing we have really missed from his good years here is the movement. SBR used to say he was like a man with two hearts. These days we are lucky if we can get 15 minutes before everyone runs out of gas and drops back to our own penalty area for the rest of the game to save their lungs. 

Loved him right from the start when he signed for us. Was probably the only bright light at the start of the 99/00 season, he was a truly exciting prospect all through that season.

All gradually went downhill though, with him entering that never ending cycle of constantly getting injured... was glad when he left.

Last time I saw him was when he spoke about sir Bobby in a post match interview last Summer. He genuinely had a lump in his throat.

Loved him right from the start when he signed for us. Was probably the only bright light at the start of the 99/00 season, he was a truly exciting prospect all through that season.

All gradually went downhill though, with him entering that never ending cycle of constantly getting injured... was glad when he left.

Last time I saw him was when he spoke about sir Bobby in a post match interview last Summer. He genuinely had a lump in his throat.

Guilt.

I see that other headless chicken N'Zogbia is doing really badly with his pace, power, movement and shooting prowess at Wigan. Not good enough to earn a first team slot for us mind.

wasn't it due to his performances when he was here ?

also wasn't titus wigans player of the year last year ?

I see that other headless chicken N'Zogbia is doing really badly with his pace, power, movement and shooting prowess at Wigan. Not good enough to earn a first team slot for us mind.

If they are so bad why are they playing in the premier while we aren't?

goes for stephen carr aswell then.....you were sorry to see him go ?

No because he was fat and unfit. See the difference?

No because he was fat and unfit. See the difference?

he was at the end of his time here, not throughout. n'zogbia performances in his last 18month here didn't warrant him a first team place. it's funny how milner was given grief by many when playing better than charles and has gone on to be a better player.