Football Finances

LoveItIfWeBeatU

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25951455

As with all things financial-related, the devil is in the detail. Intriguingly, City made £47m from the sale of "intellectual property" to "related" and "third" parties - without that income the losses would have been higher and being FFP compliant a much tougher task.

As it is, despite finishing over the £37m figure, City are confident their spending on youth development and infrastructure - which is exempt for FFP accounting purposes - will enable them to comply.

:pokerface:

I'd love to know what the hell that even means

Where did that money go? This isn't exactly 'fair'.

Erm, on the yoof team and stuffs

Carry on.

• 1 month later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26433208

PORTSMOUTH LEEDS LIVERPOOL

We can but dream.

They have made a loss in each of the last eight years apart from 2008, where they broke even by selling loads of players (http://swissramble.blogspot.com/2012/05/liverpool-keep-car-running.html). Fenway have subsidised them by reducing the immediate debt and consistently loaning the club money at 0% interest (IIRC, though I stand to be corrected here), plus securing enormous commercial revenue that dwarfs that of everyone else in the world bar the top handful of clubs. Essentially they are demonstrating that it doesn't really matter how you perform on the pitch in the short term - if you are one of a select few clubs you will get bailed out by commercial partners/owners until the weight of money tells and you start winning again.

Don't they also get some huge fine if they get promoted anyway?  Something like £45 million?

What I read is a £47.7m fine if promoted, transfer embargo if not.

Either way, not good news for them no matter what happens come the end of the season.

Don't they also get some huge fine if they get promoted anyway?  Something like £45 million?

What I read is a £47.7m fine if promoted, transfer embargo if not.

Either way, not good news for them no matter what happens come the end of the season.

I'm presuming the embargo only covers incoming transfers and won't effect our derisory offer for Remy?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/06/qpr-debt-177m-report-premier-league-relegation

QPR lost £65m last season even with prem tv cash, turnover didn't even cover wages. God only knows what its going to look like for this year without prem tv cash

Presumably the parachute payments have increased btw?

the increase comes in this year I think (ie those sides relegated this season) so QPR are on the old ones-could be completely wrong mind.

Themselves, Leicester and some other clubs I can't remember but don't live within their means are suing the Football League about that ruling.

Suing the Football League because you're trying to buy your way out of it with money you don't have :lol:

Cunts.

Themselves, Leicester and some other clubs I can't remember but don't live within their means are suing the Football League about that ruling.

Suing the Football League because you're trying to buy your way out of it with money you don't have :lol:

Cunts.

If these rules had been in place when we were down there we would have been heavily fined wouldn't we?

Guest neesy111

Cunts.

If these rules had been in place when we were down there we would have been heavily fined wouldn't we?

Yeap.

c***s.

Yeap.

Sets precedent for relegation clauses, it a bit harsh expecting a team of premiership players on premiership wages to just suddenly be on a championship wage because they're relegated without such clauses. Its not as simple as just saying we're paying you less or just selling your players. For a start you have to have buyers, unless you're selling those players for less than their value in a fire sale to reduce your wage bill.

It makes it more difficult for teams to bounce back and can seriously damage a team in the long run. I suppose there's an argument to say that running outside your means can be just as damaging but to experience success would need such a risk. I don't think it's the correct course for every team though.

Do the rules not allow a season or two of losses, or are the penalties instant? Like you say, seems stupid if you're suddenly forced to sell all your players because of a couple of seasons in the Champ.

All businesses have dips in income and they don't necessarily suddenly decimate their staff and operations.

A lot of Championship clubs are unhappy with the parachute payments as they feel it gives the relegated clubs an unfair advantage so I guess these penalties are related to that.

Hasn't helped Wolves, didn't help Leeds..Barnsely, Luton, Swindon...the list goes on.

A lot of Championship clubs are unhappy with the parachute payments as they feel it gives the relegated clubs an unfair advantage so I guess these penalties are related to that.

Hasn't helped Wolves, didn't help Leeds..Barnsely, Luton, Swindon...the list goes on.

QPR aren't exactly setting the Championship alight, still outsiders to go up, not exactly an advantage, but if they'd stuck to FFP and dumped the entire squad where would they be? Doesn't stop certain premiership teams from overspending though huh?

Cunts.

And of course Leicester have previous in regard to financial irregularities.  Cunthole of a club.

Cunts.

There's an £8m allowance in the Football League FFP rules, we lost £17m that season (player sales covered the rest) so our fine would be based on a £9m loss.  Also the fine is only applied if they feel the club has overspent in order to gain promotion.

EDIT:  Had a little look and if the fine is applied it starts at £6.6m for any loss of £10m over the £8m allowance (so £18m loss gets you a £6.6m fine), then all losses after that are paid at a 1 to 1 ratio (£1 loss means £1 fine).  Our losses after the allowance were under £10m so I'm not sure what our fine might have been, it says a sliding scale so perhaps 90% of the basic £6.6m (or £6m)?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26433208

PORTSMOUTH LEEDS LIVERPOOL

Article doesn't mention they spent £50m on players last  year and only recouped £6m.  They could cover that loss and turn it into a profit approaching as much simply by selling Suarez.

Losses on player trading aren't necessarily bad.

They were for us because we bought £16m crocks and let their contract wind down, spunked tens of millions on utter shit on ridiculous wages, long term....like Portsmouth and Leeds :D

Can anyone fill in the blanks?

Fulham Commercial

2007- £7.5

2008 - £8.5

2009 - £8.6

2010 - ?

2011 - ?

2012 - £11.9

Fulham Matchday

2007- £8.7

2008 - £9.6

2009 - £11.2