Football Finances

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Guest icemanblue

Embarrasingly, I'm quite proud of this. It's fantastic that we're bucking the trend, whilst managing to bring in better players than we've had in decades.

Guest Brazilianbob

The club financially is in it's best position since the mid 90's imo.

Financially, it's probably in the best position its ever been in period!

Guest palnese

Embarrasingly, I'm quite proud of this. It's fantastic that we're bucking the trend, whilst managing to bring in better players than we've had in decades.

Indeed. If only we could get a decent manager in as well.

I just hope we spend in the summer. While I think the signings we made in January were excellent and I appreciate 1-2 might have been brought forward we cannot afford to stay still as we did last year.

You can be sure other clubs will be dipping into this new TV revenue.

Reporting a return to profit could leave us in a prime position for a takeover in the future. Will be good to see the accounts in full and also see if Ashley has started clawing any of his 'loan' back yet.

Should certainly help Barry Moat persuade his bank manager that the loan would be less risky.

Reporting a return to profit could leave us in a prime position for a takeover in the future. Will be good to see the accounts in full and also see if Ashley has started clawing any of his 'loan' back yet.

IF he were to sell one day, he'd probably take it as a lump sum on the back-end of a sale as he's currently using the income to continue to add/build value to the club itself via player investments, facilities, etc.

I'm quite proud of our finances if I'm honest, more January-like shrewd acquisitions, purchases that we all know are necessary or that help us kick-on and continued further investment in the youth/development squad and I'm happy.

West ham mortgaging their TV money is crazy, btw. I'm sure interest on that would be a decent chunk of change and they'll have to make sure they get it right quickly or they'll pay. I'd imagine our club would most definitely not ever consider something like that.

If we're in profit then we'll surely start reducing the debt to Ashley. Might as well. Can only hope that the amount earmarked for squad investment is suitable for what Pardew/Carr want to do.

True, but I think they'd think twice about reducing the debt to Mike Ashley b/c of the backlash associated with it. Haven't they always said he's not taken a dime out of the club and won't for future or something? Sorry can't remember Dekka's words exactly.

True, but I think they'd think twice about reducing the debt to Mike Ashley b/c of the backlash associated with it. Haven't they always said he's not taken a dime out of the club and won't for future or something? Sorry can't remember Dekka's words exactly.

Would there be much of a backlash? If we can still be competitive in the market it would be good to start clearing the debts at some point I'd have thought.

Maybe not though if he continues to charge the club minimal interest on the loans. :dontknow:

I fully expect NUFC to do what they have done in previous years- front-run the publication of the results with a carefully-spun article to get the headlines, then wait for the actual numbers to be released to little attention.

And will people please stop talking about clearing the 'debt' to Ashley. Paying himself back a loan or taking a dividend out of the business is (to all pragmatic purposes) the same thing.

I fully expect NUFC to do what they have done in previous years- front-run the publication of the results with a carefully-spun article to get the headlines, then wait for the actual numbers to be released to little attention.

And will people please stop talking about clearing the 'debt' to Ashley. Paying himself back a loan or taking a dividend out of the business is (to all pragmatic purposes) the same thing.

Only inasmuch as it's money flowing from NUFC to Ashley. He could take a dividend without reducing the loan he is owed. Or he could take loan repayments, which for accounting purposes are different to dividends.

It's not in the slightest the same thing, never mind pragmatically.

If he'd put in £100 Mill and then took a £10 Million dividend and left the liability as it was he's creaming off the top. If he'd put in the same £100 Mill and took £10 Mill via reducing the liability accordingly, he's not creaming off the top.

In both cases he'd "pocket" the £10 Mill but for what it means to the club's financial position it's nowhere near the same.

:dowie:

If he'd put in £100 Mill and then took a £10 Million dividend and left the liability as it was he's creaming off the top. If he'd put in the same £100 Mill and took £10 Mill via reducing the liability accordingly, he's not creaming off the top.

In both cases he'd "pocket" the £10 Mill but for what it means to the club's financial position it's nowhere near the same.

I already said that you absolute bastard! :knuppel2:

Only joking.

I already said that you absolute b******! :knuppel2:

Only joking.

I noticed soon as I posted, but didn't want to waste my typing ;)

Would there be much of a backlash? If we can still be competitive in the market it would be good to start clearing the debts at some point I'd have thought.

Maybe not though if he continues to charge the club minimal interest on the loans. :dontknow:

As far as I know he's never charged any interest.

Guest chicken little

a quick history question: about the massive debts (mortgages etc.) that shepherd ran up. when did that all begin? i know shepherd was reckless as fuck financially, but was hall the same? put it another way, was our 90s renaissance entirely funded out of the man's pocket?

a quick history question: about the massive debts (mortgages etc.) that shepherd ran up. when did that all begin? i know shepherd was reckless as f*** financially, but was hall the same? put it another way, was our 90s renaissance entirely funded out of the man's pocket?

:lol:

a quick history question: about the massive debts (mortgages etc.) that shepherd ran up. when did that all begin? i know shepherd was reckless as f*** financially, but was hall the same? put it another way, was our 90s renaissance entirely funded out of the man's pocket?

Like Shepherd, Hall never put even a penny of his own money in, between them they took about £50mill out though.

They bought the club with funding  from Cameron Hall Ltd, and charged interest an all.

a quick history question: about the massive debts (mortgages etc.) that shepherd ran up. when did that all begin? i know shepherd was reckless as fuck financially, but was hall the same? put it another way, was our 90s renaissance entirely funded out of the man's pocket?

As I remember, Sir John Hall bought his shares for £8 million.  He put no other money into the club until Keegan was manager & threatened to quit unless we bought a player.  Sir John Hall then borrowed £1 million from his wife to fund the transfer. 

So £9 million into the club, only £1 million of which went towards the actual running of the club in any way.  In the meantime, he floated the club to offload a few shares and repay debts and fund the rebuilding of the stadium (rebuilt by Cameron Hall Developments, so we paid him there too) and after paying dividends for a few years even whilst making huge losses, they lastly sold their shares to Ashley and cashed in yet again.

The Halls helped the club immensely but they also made out like bandits from their tenure.

Like Shepherd, Hall never put even a penny of his own money in, between them they took about £50mill out though.

They bought the club with funding  from Cameron Hall Ltd, and charged interest an all.

Way more than that.