Is the defence now of Premier League standard?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Nope.  We've not had a decent defence all this season, as much as we've been told our 'great' defence has got us where we are in the league.  It's mostly been down to fucking awful finishing in this league that's made our defence look good this year, apart from the WBA and Forest matches when some of the chances have been taken.

Nope.  We've not had a decent defence all this season, as much as we've been told our 'great' defence has got us where we are in the league.  It's mostly been down to fucking awful finishing in this league that's made our defence look good this year, apart from the WBA and Forest matches when some of the chances have been taken.

This.

Tbf Collo has improved and Ricky is too good for the league. But the def as a whole hasn't really improved as is being made out will be ripped to shreds by most PL sides.

Simpson and Khiz were at the back for the Forest game man.

These teams manage to score plenty goals when they're not facing our defence, more negative rubbish.

It's not just been the Forest and WBA matches though - those were the matches where the chance were taken - it's beem just about every match I've seen this year that we've had a few moments where we've been ripped apart and a semi-decent team will take the chance, as we have done to others this year.  Next year we'll play against at least 16 more semi-decent teams next year that will take those chances, as we found out last year.

I think you lot believe that every EPL club lines up with Ivanovic-Carvalho-Terry-Cole. Have you seen with the kind of crap Sunderland gets by? Bardsley? McCartney? Bolton has Gary Cahill, sure, but also Zat Knight, Robinson, Ricketts... I think your defense is sorted and you'll be fine.

Also:

Ramage - Bramble - Boumsong - Babayaro  :lol:

I think you lot believe that every EPL club lines up with Ivanovic-Carvalho-Terry-Cole. Have you seen with the kind of crap Sunderland gets by? Bardsley? McCartney? Bolton has Gary Cahill, sure, but also Zat Knight, Robinson, Ricketts... I think your defense is sorted and you'll be fine.

Also:

Yes but most Pl sides have solid midfields who can keep the ball for spells or tackle back or cover ground. We have none of that. Poorer looking defences get by in the PL cause they have hard working properly organised midfilds in front of them and some pace that can stretch a game...We have none of that either. Plus Collo is a liability in the top league, he isn't strong enough and makes too many wrong descisions.

Ripped apart? Against who?

Most of the matches I've seen, and let's face it there have been a fair few on TV this year, we have given at leat two or three opportunities to the opposition in the middle of goal  in most of the matches even VS Ipswich Apart from the Reading match.  They were just fucking awful.  Against most of the teams we expect to play next year, we will allow more chances than this and probably concede at most of these chances - as we found out last year.

Also:

Yes but most Pl sides have solid midfields who can keep the ball for spells or tackle back or cover ground. We have none of that. Poorer looking defences get by in the PL cause they have hard working properly organised midfilds in front of them and some pace that can stretch a game...We have none of that either. Plus Collo is a liability in the top league, he isn't strong enough and makes too many wrong descisions.

I will concede that the 3 games I have watched this season your midfield has been truly bad (or inexistent), but the point stands that I think your defence is good enough. You do need backups though.

It really doesn't matter when those in front of the back-five are so woefully poor to average as our midfield and forwards are. Address that and that back-five will keep clean sheets and more than compete. Individually all of them are of Premier League standard, although the exact standard is open to debate.

For me they are all average players at that level, with Simpson perhaps capable of the least and Enrique the most. Having said all that, coaching is also key too. A poor manager in charge of a good team can turn that team into a poor one. Likewise a good manager can turn a poor one into an average one and an average one into a good one.

The Premier League isn't all its cracked up to be though. The gap is big but good coaching, an eye for talent and bravery can bridge that gap pretty quickly as KK did when he first took Newcastle up or Sir Bobby who with a few astute signings (eye for talent), his good coaching and of course his bravery (attacking football) transformed a mid-table side into a European one.

Regarding the team, whenever I watch us and this has been going on for a few years now, the biggest thing that screams out to me is a serious lack of balance. Just addressing that alone would help things massively.

Mostly this - where I have doubts is the assumption that a few astute buys would bridge the gap with the Prem standard as KK and SbR did. The reason I say that is because under KK, the promotion side was streets ahead of this one in all round ability, and so only a few signings enabled it to do well ; SBR inherited a side which had some decent players in most departments but needed tweaking as well as morale lifting and he did both..

The current side has horrendous lack of ability for the top level in both midfield and attack - to rectify these problems will cost a fortune which we all know Ashley will NOT spend and the defence itself will not keep the side up - its hardly like Leeds in their pomp of the 60s/70s anyway, but the lack of support from the midfield and the inability of the forwards to keep the ball for any length of time under pressure will cause many problems for under=pressure defenders.

The answer to the question is a qualified yes, but only if major improvements are made to the rest of the side.

Aye probably, when compared with lower Premiership teams defences (i.e. Burnley, Stoke City, Hull City etc).

Individually they're all good enough to play at Premiership level, collectively they've proven excellent in the Championship. It's a case of wait and see I guess if we get promoted.

I think back to, for instance Jean Alain Boumsong, the lad was a French international, he was sold to Juventus, he went on to play for Lyon but why on earth did he look SO poor for us?

I do like the fact Colo and Enrique have excelled in this league though, also giving them another year in English football, they could be massive for us next year, again, IF we go up.

I'm not confident at all with any of our back four. If I were manager, I'd be on the look out for replacements.

Enrique is good going forward, and is athletic enough at Championship level for his poor positioning not to matter. At Premiership level, he's been vulnerable and I don't think anything's changed.

Colo is too slow and not strong enough for a Premiership CB. He's far better suited to Continental football.

Taylor is a good athlete but clumsy.

Simpson has looked okay, but it was worrying how vulnerable he looked when he finally came up against a wide player of Premiership standard.

Kadar looks to have the most innate ability, but needs experience and we're not giving him much at the moment.

I think the first choice 5 is definitely good enough. The backup obviously isn't, because we don't have any.

But as a lot of people have said, we could have Chelsea's back four and we would still be in danger of relegation with a strikeforce that can't make the ball stick and a midfield who can't run about.

Absolutely essential that we short out the midfield ASAP.