Is the defence now of Premier League standard?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Now that Simpson has signed permanently, and assuming Ashley doesn't cash in on any of the others (:shifty:), does this back four and goalkeeper represent a defensive unit that can at least compete in the Premier League?

Harper

Simpson S.Taylor Coloccini Enrique

Obviously I only mean competing in terms of avoiding relegation and there are a fuckload of problems elsewhere in the team and squad, but I hope that we avoid injuries and they can continue to form an understanding between them in preparation for promotion. We could really do with some continuity in defence IMO, and this signing looks to have assured that.

The defence, aye. The rest, fuck no. I've not been this content with a back five for us in years now, if we actually get some quality in front of them I think we may be a decent side again.

I addressed the rest of the team, and I realise it's hugely important that we defend from the front (as well as actually put the opposition under pressure by keeping the ball ourselves). Was just focussing on the unit at the back in this discussion. :thup:

The defence, aye. The rest, fuck no. I've not been this content with a back five for us in years now, if we actually get some quality in front of them I think we may be a decent side again.

I addressed the rest of the team, and I realise it's hugely important that we defend from the front (as well as actually put the opposition under pressure by keeping the ball ourselves). Was just focussing on the unit at the back in this discussion. :thup:

I know, I just can't help it. The front is so fucking shit :undecided:

The defence is now reasonably comparable to lower Premier League teams. The midfield is still mid table Championship and would be embarassing in the top flight.

No. you need a squad to compete over the length of a season and after Taylor, Colo & Enrique who else is there of premiership standard to fill in?

There's still massive question marks over whether Colo is good enough for the more pacy, physical game of the premiership too. His presence will cost us points if he needlessly gets pissed on by average players again and we can't afford for that to happen.

What would be needed in defence for us to survive next season would be another left back and another centre-half at least as good as Taylor or Colo, and ideally someone better than either. of course that assumes that we do go up, at the moment that is very far from guaranteed.

Guest sicko2ndbest

No. That defence would get cut apart

Enrique, Taylor and Harper are up the required standard

Colo is looking good this year because he isnt up against powerful, pacy strikers. The likes of Fuller, Drogba, Rooney, Torres, Bent, Adebayor, Roberts, Cole and Yakubu would get the better of him more times than not.

Most of the strikers in this league have one or the other. WBA missed a trick the other night by not putting Miller up against him earlier.

I think Colo is a decent player just not suited to the premiership. If we were offered 4m+ in the summer i would accept.

Simpson has more potential/attributes to make the grade in the premiership he needs a slight improvement in all areas, getting tighter, final ball, composure

Guest Howaythetoon

It really doesn't matter when those in front of the back-five are so woefully poor to average as our midfield and forwards are. Address that and that back-five will keep clean sheets and more than compete. Individually all of them are of Premier League standard, although the exact standard is open to debate.

For me they are all average players at that level, with Simpson perhaps capable of the least and Enrique the most. Having said all that, coaching is also key too. A poor manager in charge of a good team can turn that team into a poor one. Likewise a good manager can turn a poor one into an average one and an average one into a good one.

The Premier League isn't all its cracked up to be though. The gap is big but good coaching, an eye for talent and bravery can bridge that gap pretty quickly as KK did when he first took Newcastle up or Sir Bobby who with a few astute signings (eye for talent), his good coaching and of course his bravery (attacking football) transformed a mid-table side into a European one.

Regarding the team, whenever I watch us and this has been going on for a few years now, the biggest thing that screams out to me is a serious lack of balance. Just addressing that alone would help things massively.

It was  last season because but unfortunately the 6 playing infront of them are shite and thus they get put under way more pressure than they should do. Simpson is suspect but there is worse currently playing in the Premier at full back so can't complain too much. Absolutely no back up either. One player (Kadar) who is young and untried covering4 positions is criminal.

I could see Kadar becoming something of a Bassong next season.

In an ideal,never happen world, it would be good for him to go out on loan next season and get some regular first team experience.

Guest Heneage

It's not entirely to do with being quality, it's about having an understanding and operating as a unit. Last season we had a new Centreback, an unsteady back four and constant changing and mixing round of players. Part of our stern defence this year, is the communication and understanding the players now have.

You have Colo and Enrique working with Jonas, all three are Spanish speakers, now I could be wrong, but imo, I think that helps all three, they communicate and have no uncertainty. They know to cover each other, Coloccini knows to hang back as he doesn't have recovery pace. He now lets Taylor be the ball winner and charge out, while he often sweeps up behind him, which works because he's a more compoesd player, and is better technically.

Enrique plays tight to Colo and uses his fantastic pace to cover Colo.

So really IMO, it's a case of we now have a defensive unit, if we could get a similar midfield unit that passes and moves , we could survive comfortably, but it's all 'What ifs ' at this point.