Mike Williamson (now managing MK Dons)

Ritchie

Guest Brazilianbob

Its a defensive fact that up until Steven Taylor got injured at the end of the Chelsea game on 3rd December, we had conceded only 15 goals in 14 EPL games.  Since then we have conceded 23 goals in 12 EPL games.

Williamson did not play in the Norwich game where we conceded 4, but we have conceded 19 goals in the 11 EPL games Williamson has played in this season, although in two of those games, Fulham and Spurs, we conceded 10 goals.

This means we have conceded 9 goals in the other 9 EPL games in which Williamson has played.

Not sure whether we can draw any conclusions from those stats because 9 in 9 isnt a bad defensive record, but its the 10 in 2 games that makes the defensive stats look far worse than they perhaps really are!

Is he really that bad? Flick back ten pages and he was getting mad props. Again, I suspect it's a case where he's a decent player when the team's playing well, but his limitations are highlighted when we're playing poorly (collectively).

Guest neesy111

Is he really that bad? Flick back ten pages and he was getting mad props. Again, I suspect it's a case where he's a decent player when the team's playing well, but his limitations are highlighted when we're playing poorly (collectively).

He started off alright, but the last 5 games I think he's been an utter shambles of a CB.

It's not that he's bad, its that with him and Colo as the CB's its too easy to get in behind they dont compliment each other at all.

I think he would do a decent job in a deep defensive line or with a fast CB next to him. Also he's good enough back up but currently he's first choice due to injuries and not having enough CB's so his flaws are highlighted more.

Guest Rey Mysterio

Its a defensive fact that up until Steven Taylor got injured at the end of the Chelsea game on 3rd December, we had conceded only 15 goals in 14 EPL games.  Since then we have conceded 23 goals in 12 EPL games.

Williamson did not play in the Norwich game where we conceded 4, but we have conceded 19 goals in the 11 EPL games Williamson has played in this season, although in two of those games, Fulham and Spurs, we conceded 10 goals.

This means we have conceded 9 goals in the other 9 EPL games in which Williamson has played.

Not sure whether we can draw any conclusions from those stats because 9 in 9 isnt a bad defensive record, but its the 10 in 2 games that makes the defensive stats look far worse than they perhaps really are!

You cant just get rid of the two worst games to make the stats look better!  :lol:  Williamson was probably at fault for at least half of those 10 goals from memory so no, I wouldn't say those games make the stats look worse than they really are.

Guest Brazilianbob

He started off alright, but the last 5 games I think he's been an utter shambles of a CB.

You are right!  We have conceded 13 in the last 5 games.  It clear Williamson needs Cabaye and Tiote in front of him for protection.  Against Wolves they were feeling their way back into the EPL after they had both been out for a few weeks, so hopefully they will afford us some defensive protection next weekend!

Williamson is a limited player who generally does okay with the basics of defending. A lot of the time that is enough. Same as Simpson really.

true, but he looks a shadow of the basic centre half he was last season.

Williamson is a limited player who generally does okay with the basics of defending. A lot of the time that is enough. Same as Simpson really.

Aye, was just gonna say the same thing. At best he's the limited defender that acts as a steady pair of hands - and when he first came back in the team he was competent, if unspectacular.

At the moment, he doesn't even look like that. Given his form now, the cynic in me suggests that he might have looked good a few weeks back because he was replacing the likes of Simpson and Perch at CB. However, it probably is a touch harsh.

Guest Brazilianbob

Aye, was just gonna say the same thing. At best he's the limited defender that acts as a steady pair of hands - and when he first came back in the team he was competent, if unspectacular.

At the moment, he doesn't even look like that. Given his form now, the cynic in me suggests that he might have looked good a few weeks back because he was replacing the likes of Simpson and Perch at CB. However, it probably is a touch harsh.

Not harsh at all.  He was being protected by Tiote and Cabaye but when Tiote went off to ACN and Cabaye got suspended for 3 games his defensive frailties were exposed!

I don't think Simpson's basics are as good as Williamson's, like.

Full-back is pretty much the only position on the pitch you can sometimes escape a game without being really tested and Simpson benefits from that as much as any defender I can remember. He shirks his responsibilities constantly and consequently the other defenders have not an ounce of confidence in him and are frequently dragged out of position.

agree....and will be happy for both of them to stay as 2nd (simpson) and 4th choice in their postions.

I think when just returning from a long layoff enthusiasm and adrenaline carried him through the initial couple of games and he did a decent job. Thats now worn off and the impact of being out for so long has caught up with him and is not helping his already limited game.  I hope we see the steady, reliable, do-the-basics-well player on Sunday. We cannot afford for him to lose the plot again. Our bus does not have space for any more passengers.